Introduction

  • Sean Keplinger
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 4, 2003
      Hi all!

      I've been hiking/camping on and off since I was a kid. It wasn't until
      recently however that I seriously got back into it. On a trip I took last
      year, I hiked into Shawnee Forest (Ohio) with a heavy tent and vowed never
      again to carry that much weight. In response, I bought a hammock and I'm
      preparing to use it next month on a trip to Mammoth Cave National Park
      (Kentucky).

      I'm looking forward to learning the do's and don't of hammock camping from
      the experts on this list. :^)

      Sean
      --
      \___/ Sean Keplinger
      \/ ) http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com
      ----mm-----------------------------------
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 4, 2003
        Message
        Welcome Sean!  Glad to hear you've made the switch to hammock camping--life will never be the same for you again! Let us know how your adventures go...Ed

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 4, 2003
          On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Ed Speer wrote:

          > Welcome Sean! Glad to hear you've made the switch to hammock
          > camping--life will never be the same for you again! Let us know how your
          > adventures go...Ed

          Thanks Ed -- I've read a lot about your hammocks...perhaps one day I'll be
          sleeping in one!

          Sean
          --
          \___/ Sean Keplinger
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 4, 2003
            Hi Sean,

            I have been thinking about a trip to Shawnee as well. I live just
            outside Dayton. Where are you?

            Rick aka <><

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sean Keplinger <skeplin@o...>

            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 4, 2003
              Message
              I've already heard from one friend who was disapointed with my newsletter article; so he sent his suggestions.  Thought the List might get a kick out of this...Ed

              NTW,

              I was expecting to read about the benefits and drawbacks of getting laid in a hammock, so I made up a little list.  Let me know what you think of it!!  Feel free to pass it on or add to it!

              --|> G-Force

              Here is the list:

              BENEFITS

              • Great rocking motion!
              • Gives new meaning to the term "Being Well Hung"
              • Your balance is enhanced every time you use the hammock, no matter how you use it
              • Some really neat positions you can’t do any other way (unless you’re really creative!)
              • Going to end up close together no matter what you end up doing
              • Lots of unusual places and angles you can set up
              • Easier to keep legs up using the top of the walls of the hammock
              • Less predictability of motion makes for unexpected surprises
              • Lots of new positions you probably haven’t tried yet elsewhere – makes for a good story and/or bonding experience
              • Can customize the hammock (if you like to cut holes & sew) for some really unusual ways to use the hammock with a partner
              • If done right, can be more comfortable than many other methods
              • Low-hanging branches that you can hold onto may be beneficial
              • Kneeling or squatting is not as tough on the knees, just have to be more careful
              • Can get tied up without being tied up
              • Can swing without being a swinger

              DRAWBACKS

              • Need to be careful – there is less predictability of motion, especially when two people are involved
              • Can’t easily get away from your partner as easily as you would just roll away in a bed (if you wanted to)
              • Only a few safe positions, but those few give you something to talk about afterwards
              • Strength of hammock must be tested first, especially with aggressive use of the hammock
              • Curvature of hammock makes standard positions difficult, if not impossible
              • When kneeling – need to make sure you’ve got good balance (not as easy)
              • Might need pillows in the hammock for additional support or for certain positions
              • Getting up to pee or shower afterwards is a challenge or inconvenient
              • Smoking a cigarette in the hammock afterwards is dangerous and an ashtray is not as easy to get to
            • Sean Keplinger
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 5, 2003
                On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Rick wrote:

                > I have been thinking about a trip to Shawnee as well. I live just
                > outside Dayton. Where are you?

                I'm located just outside of the 275 loop in Milford.

                Shawnee is nice because there are 7 campsites around the loop -- can't
                remember the total mileage but you can reach the 1st or 7th campsite from
                the parking area in 6 and 4 miles respectively.

                Check the "adventures" section of my website -- I have plenty of pictures
                of the hike to camp 7.

                Sean
                --
                \___/ Sean Keplinger
                |o,o| skeplin at one dot net
                \/ ) http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com
                ----mm-----------------------------------
              • Steve McBride
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 28, 2003
                  Hi:

                  I'm a long time backpacker, converted to lightweight backpacker the past few years due to Jardine's book and the great advice on BPL. I have been a fan of bivy's with or without a tarp, but for our next trip this weekend, my wife and I want to give hammocking a try. We have two Bana Travel hammocks that we want to try out. We'll bring along tarps just in case the weather turns against us, but no need to worry about mosquito netting due to the time of year here in Michigan. Glancing briefly at this list, it looks like most people are using an integrated system like Hennessy or Spears. Does anyone have any last minute advice for a novice hammocker before we head out for the weekend? Shane had emailed me privately a couple months ago with great advice for webbing to suspend them--back yard testing shows that to work great. Anything else would be appreciated.

                  Thanks,
                  Steve M
                • Steve McBride
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 28, 2003
                    Oops, great way to introduce myself with a typo. Our hammocks are Byer, not Bana.

                    Sorry for the confusion,

                    Steve M
                  • Shane
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 28, 2003
                      > Does anyone have any last minute advice for a novice
                      > hammocker before we head out for the weekend?

                      Above all else, THINK. There are some creative ways to use hammocks and
                      tarps that are beyond what you can do with tents.

                      Only real advice is to have fun, and sleep well...

                      Shane
                    • Sean Keplinger
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 29, 2003
                        On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Steve McBride wrote:

                        > Oops, great way to introduce myself with a typo. Our hammocks are Byer,
                        > not Bana.

                        I recently purchased 2 large woven cloth Byer hammocks for the backyard
                        and so far, I am thoroughly impressed. It's nice to lay in the hammock
                        while the kids plan on the swingset.

                        I also have a "jungle hammock" for camping, though I haven't tried it out
                        yet -- my trip is next month...I'll return with a full report.

                        I don't think I've worked up the "courage" to build my own hammock yet,
                        though it would probably help if I had a sewing machine. :^/

                        Sean
                        --
                        \___/ Sean Keplinger
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 29, 2003
                          Its nice to know how to sew. Use the project as an excuse to spend
                          some time with your wife, or girlfriend, or both. Be properly humble.

                          You will end up with a piece of gear, new knowledge, and a little
                          romance to boot.

                          Rick

                          wrote:

                          > On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Steve McBride wrote:
                          >
                          > > Oops, great way to introduce myself with a typo. Our hammocks are
                          Byer,
                          > > not Bana.
                          >
                          > I recently purchased 2 large woven cloth Byer hammocks for the
                          backyard
                          > and so far, I am thoroughly impressed. It's nice to lay in the
                          hammock
                          > while the kids plan on the swingset.
                          >
                          > I also have a "jungle hammock" for camping, though I haven't tried
                          it out
                          > yet -- my trip is next month...I'll return with a full report.
                          >
                          > I don't think I've worked up the "courage" to build my own hammock
                          yet,
                          > though it would probably help if I had a sewing machine. :^/
                          >

                          > Sean
                          > --
                          > \___/ Sean Keplinger
                          > |o,o| skeplin at one dot net
                          > \/ ) http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com
                          > ----mm-----------------------------------
                        • natesdenn71
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 13, 2006
                            Hello everyone! I use a hammock bliss Mosquito bliss hammock with a
                            guide gear tarp from sportsmansguide.com. My first experience hammock
                            camping was in the jungle of malaysia this past february. I loved it!
                            I only spent one night in the jungle and it did take some getting
                            used to. I tried sleeping in it when I returned to Michigan and found
                            out that to sleep in 20F weather I need more than just a sleeping pad,
                            warm bag and lots of layers! I recently spent a week sleeping outside
                            during directors training at the YMCA camp I work at. I got lots of
                            "wow's" and "you sleep in that?" from my staff. I hope to learn a lot
                            from this group!
                          • sebastiantoney
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 13, 2006
                              Welcome, dude.

                              You remind me of a missionary friend. He's gon on several trips to
                              Central and South America. He bought his first hammock somewhere down
                              there and has been hammocking every since.

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "natesdenn71" <natesdenn71@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Hello everyone! I use a hammock bliss Mosquito bliss hammock with a
                              > guide gear tarp from sportsmansguide.com. My first experience hammock
                              > camping was in the jungle of malaysia this past february. I loved it!
                              > I only spent one night in the jungle and it did take some getting
                              > used to. I tried sleeping in it when I returned to Michigan and found
                              > out that to sleep in 20F weather I need more than just a sleeping pad,
                              > warm bag and lots of layers! I recently spent a week sleeping outside
                              > during directors training at the YMCA camp I work at. I got lots of
                              > "wow's" and "you sleep in that?" from my staff. I hope to learn a lot
                              > from this group!

                            • holliscbarton
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 27, 2008
                                Hiya!

                                New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not to camping. I'm a 60 year old
                                female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a HH Safari Deluxe. Not all that
                                interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to tent camping, especially as I get
                                older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a shelter that's compact and easy to put up
                                in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly is important to me. I camp
                                with a couple of other 60+ year old crones. We're all avid campers, paddlers and "moseyers"
                                and just enjoy each other's good company in the woods and on the lakes.

                                Looking forward to picking up ideas for making my HH comfortable and convenient.
                                Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom Generation?
                              • Jeff
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 27, 2008
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "holliscbarton"
                                  <ratsmouth@...> wrote:

                                  > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly
                                  is important to me.

                                  Then you'll surely want a larger tarp than the one that comes
                                  standard with the HH. There are several option available...Speer has
                                  an 8'x10' and an 11'x10' Winter Tarp, JRB has an 11'x10', and MacCat
                                  has a few models you may be interested in.

                                  www.speerhammocks.com
                                  www.jacksrbetter.com
                                  www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                                  There are also cheaper ones since weight isn't as much of a factor
                                  for you...check on the Kelty Noah 9 or the Guide Gear 9'x9' and
                                  12'x12'.

                                  Any of these will give you room to lounge and cook, sit with your
                                  friends, etc. I usually hang my son next to me under the same tarp
                                  when the site is right.

                                  Welcome to the gang!

                                  Jeff
                                • ratsmouth@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 27, 2008
                                    Thanks, Jeff! I have a Kelty Noah's Tarp we've been using as a kitchen
                                    fly for a couple of seasons. Haven't had a chance to set up the HH
                                    yet, but if the tarp looks small, I have an alternative. Still picking
                                    up ideas for insulation. I'm hoping to avoid another big investment.
                                    In the tent, I generally sleep warm in my Cat's Meow 20 degree bag, on
                                    a Thermarest pad, but I'm aware that heat loss is a bigger issue in a
                                    hammock, so I'm looking around for some closed cell foam. Will have to
                                    try out the HH before deciding what to add. I haven't told the Crones
                                    about my new hammock. Springing this on them should be fun.

                                    Fascinated by the whole concept of stealth camping, too.

                                    Okay, I'm 60, going on 10.

                                    Ratty

                                    > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly

                                    is important to me.

                                    Then you'll surely want a larger tarp than the one that comes

                                    standard with the HH. There are several option available...Speer has

                                    an 8'x10' and an 11'x10' Winter Tarp, JRB has an 11'x10', and MacCat

                                    has a few models you may be interested in.

                                    www.speerhammo
                                    cks.com

                                    www.jacksrbetter.com

                                    www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                                    There are also cheaper ones since weight isn't as much of a factor

                                    for you...check on the Kelty Noah 9 or the Guide Gear 9'x9' and

                                    12'x12'.

                                    Any of these will give you room to lounge and cook, sit with your

                                    friends, etc. I usually hang my son next to me under the same tarp

                                    when the site is right.

                                    Welcome to the gang!

                                    Jeff
                                  • Hollis
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 27, 2008
                                      Hi there,

                                      I'm not a baby boomer, but I'm a hammocker from just north of the
                                      Adirondacks, and I think we share a first name: I'm Hollis, too.

                                      Hammocks are FANTASTIC for the Adirondacks. If there's anything I can
                                      do to help (including a get-together/hammock geek session), please let
                                      me know!

                                      Best,
                                      Hollis

                                      wrote:

                                      > Hiya!
                                      >
                                      > New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not to camping.
                                      I'm a 60 year old
                                      > female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a HH
                                      Safari Deluxe. Not all that
                                      > interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to tent
                                      camping, especially as I get
                                      > older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a shelter that's
                                      compact and easy to put up
                                      > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly
                                      is important to me. I camp
                                      > with a couple of other 60+ year old crones. We're all avid campers,
                                      paddlers and "moseyers"
                                      > and just enjoy each other's good company in the woods and on the lakes.
                                      >
                                      > Looking forward to picking up ideas for making my HH comfortable and
                                      convenient.
                                      > Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom Generation?

                                    • Dick Dahlen
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                                        Ratty: Greetings from Minnesota, 62 have been sleeping in an HH for
                                        four years, spring, summer, and early fall. Have not made anything for
                                        "winter camping".
                                        make or buy an pair of "snakeskins"--Dick

                                        > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly

                                        is important to me.

                                        Then you'll surely want a larger tarp than the one that comes

                                        standard with the HH. There are several option available...Speer has

                                        an 8'x10' and an 11'x10' Winter Tarp, JRB has an 11'x10', and MacCat

                                        has a few models you may be interested in.

                                        www.speerhammo
                                        cks.com

                                        www.jacksrbetter.com

                                        www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                                        There are also cheaper ones since weight isn't as much of a factor

                                        for you...check on the Kelty Noah 9 or the Guide Gear 9'x9' and

                                        12'x12'.

                                        Any of these will give you room to lounge and cook, sit with your

                                        friends, etc. I usually hang my son next to me under the same tarp

                                        when the site is right.

                                        Welcome to the gang!

                                        Jeff
                                      • Rosaleen Sullivan
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                                          Hiya, back!

                                          Are you "Ratty" form WomenHikers? If so, you may remember me, Rosaleen.

                                          Just south of the Adirondacks may put you within shouting distance of me, as I live a bit west of Boston.

                                          At anyrate, we have in common Hennessy Hammocks, moseying, and being in the same age range. (I reach 59 soon.) Hubby and I have a very rarely used canoe. I would consider getting a second-hand kayak, after I have a chance to see if my beat-up back can handle paddling one.

                                          I'm surprised that you went with a Safari Deluxe. They are HUGE. Even when weight is less of a consideration, an Expedition-sized hammock (same size as Asym Backpacker and Hyperlight models) is plenty for me at 5'9" and the Explorer is plenty large enough for hubby at 6'3." The Safari could fit 2 normal-sized people, but they would be smashed together... Too much "cuddling" to really sleep well for me. I can anslwer a lot of questions about Hennessy Hammocks, but my little comfort tricks for my Asym Backpacker would need to be modified to work with the much larger Safari.

                                          If you want to cross paths sometime, I can see about renting/borrowing a kayak, or hiking around your kayaking schedule, hooking up to camp. There may be a trail that roughly parallels one of your water trips. Alternatively, we might recruit someone to share my canoe.

                                          Regards,

                                          Rosaleen

                                          IntroductionPosted by: "holliscbarton" ratsmouth@... holliscbartonDate: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:39 am ((PST)) Hiya! New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not to camping. I'm a 60 year old female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a HH Safari Deluxe. Not all that interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to tent camping, especially as I get older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a shelter that's compact and easy to put up in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly is important to me. I camp with a couple of other 60+ year old crones. We're all avid campers, paddlers and "moseyers" and just enjoy each other's good company in the woods and on the lakes. Looking forward to picking up ideas for making my HH comfortable and convenient. Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom Generation?

                                        • ratsmouth@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                                            Well, how cool is that??? Are you a guy Hollis or a girl Hollis? LOL!
                                            I always tell people that Mom named me in a fit of post-partum
                                            depression, and I used to threaten her that I was gonna name her first
                                            grandchild Jerusha Chlorine, just for spite.

                                            I have to try setting up this contraption this spring, and I'm really
                                            hoping that I can figure it out. The figure-8 hookup on the ends is no
                                            problem, but things like "how high" and "how far apart" and "how do I
                                            make sure it's level" and "how do I get my tarp centered over
                                            it"....Those are the little techie problems I gotta work out so it
                                            becomes as easy as it looks in the videos.

                                            What flavor of hammock do you have? Where do you camp/backpack? Any
                                            plans for spring/summer camping?

                                            There's somewhere north of the Adirondacks? Who knew? Yeah, I thought
                                            the hammock looked downright perfect for our neck of the woods. Can't
                                            wait to try it out. JustJeff has been a huge help with the insulation
                                            ideas. (Thanks, Jeff!)

                                            Ratty/Holly

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                                              Hey, Rosaleen!

                                              Yeah, I'm the same Ratty from WomenHikers, and I do remember you. I
                                              got the Safari Deluxe unused at half price, and it may prove to be too
                                              much hammock for me, but since I don't (yet) backpack -- just kayak and
                                              car camp -- its size wasn't an issue. I'm 5'8" and "substantial", and
                                              I wanted to be sure the hammock wouldn't strain under the weight.

                                              The kayak might actually be GOOD for your back, depending on the
                                              problem. I find that at the end of the paddling season, I have
                                              incredible upper body strength and lots of supportive muscle around the
                                              old ribcage, thanks to the double paddle. All you can do is try it
                                              out. Borrow one and go for some short paddles, eh?

                                              I see a lot of events being planned for the southern states and
                                              California. Anything up here? It would be great to get together.

                                              Ratty

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                                                Thanks, Dick! I checked, and the #4 snakeskins fit this monster. I
                                                might hold off buying/making them until after I've decided to
                                                keep/sell/swap the Safari Deluxe. They really do look like they add
                                                some versatility and convenience to the HH. Just being able to get the
                                                hammock out of the way during the day would be great.

                                                Man, I love hearing from other 60+ year old campers!

                                                Ratty

                                                Thanks, Jeff! I have a Kelty Noah's Tarp we've been using as a kitchen

                                                fly for a couple of seasons. Haven't had a chance to set up the HH

                                                yet, but if the tarp looks small, I have an alternative. Still picking

                                                up ideas for insulation. I'm hoping to avoid another big investment.

                                                In the tent, I generally sleep warm in my Cat's Meow 20 degree bag, on

                                                a Thermarest pad,=2
                                                0but I'm aware that heat loss is a bigger issue in a

                                                hammock, so I'm looking around for some closed cell foam. Will have to

                                                try out the HH before deciding what to add. I haven't told the Crones

                                                about my new hammock. Springing this on them should be fun.

                                                Fascinated by the whole concept of stealth camping, too.

                                                Okay, I'm 60, going on 10.

                                                Ratty

                                                > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly

                                                is important to me.

                                                Then you'll surely want a larger tarp than the one that comes

                                                standard with the HH. There are several option available...Speer has

                                                an 8'x10' and an 11'x10' Winter Tarp, JRB has an 11'x10', and MacCat

                                                has a few models you may be interested in.

                                                www.speerhammo

                                                cks.com

                                                www.jacksrbetter.com

                                                www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                                                There are also cheaper ones since weight isn't as much of a factor

                                                for you...check on the Kelty Noah 9 or the Guide Gear 9'x9' and

                                                12'x12'.

                                                Any of these will g
                                                ive you room to lounge and cook, sit with your

                                                friends, etc. I usually hang my son next to me under the same tarp

                                                when the site is right.

                                                Welcome to the gang!

                                                Jeff
                                              • Hollis Easter
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                                                  Hi there!

                                                  It is odd how many Hollises are popping up. There's you, there's me...
                                                  I'm an editor for BackpackGearTest, and we just got some reviews from a
                                                  new tester named Hollis, too. I guess there aren't many of us, but we
                                                  all like doing things outdoors.

                                                  I'm a guy Hollis, named for my grandfather, who invented the machine
                                                  that could build those Pyrex glass measuring cups that everyone has.

                                                  > I have to try setting up this contraption this spring, and I'm really
                                                  > hoping that I can figure it out. The figure-8 hookup on the ends is no
                                                  > problem, but things like "how high" and "how far apart" and "how do I
                                                  > make sure it's level" and "how do I get my tarp centered over
                                                  > it"....Those are the little techie problems I gotta work out so it
                                                  > becomes as easy as it looks in the videos.

                                                  I'm glad to help, as I said. But in case you're enjoying this
                                                  ridiculously warm weather and want to lie in your hammock before then:

                                                  "How far apart" is somewhat easy: the trees need to be far enough apart
                                                  that the whole hammock body can hang between them with enough room to
                                                  not touch the trees, and then you need enough more room that you can tie
                                                  things up. The best way to learn this, in my experience, is to measure a
                                                  pair of trees (for distance) with paces or trekking poles or whatever,
                                                  then try setting up the hammock. See how it works. That'll tell you
                                                  whether your distance is good, too large, or too small.

                                                  As for how high: depends on how far apart your trees are, or whether
                                                  you're trying to hang above an obstruction. I'm big and tall, so I tend
                                                  to hang 'em about as high as I can reach.

                                                  A related thought: resist the temptation to string up the hammock as
                                                  tight as can be. It'll stretch like mad when you sit in it, and you may
                                                  end up brushing the ground anyway. Instead, put it up so it doesn't
                                                  flop too much, but leave some slack: the force angles will be much
                                                  nicer, the ropes won't stretch as much, and you'll have an easier time.

                                                  Fly positioning is pretty easy if you use the built-in Hennessy Prusiks
                                                  on the support ropes. Try it in the backyard a few times; if you get
                                                  wet, figure out why. Seems like if you consider wind direction in
                                                  choosing your site, the tarp does a fantastic job of keeping you dry.

                                                  I have a Hennessy Explorer UL, camp and backpack primarily in the
                                                  Adirondacks, although I did a section of the AT/LT in Vermont last
                                                  summer. I'm hoping to get out as much as possible. I keep hoping to find
                                                  congenial sorts for a Northville-Placid Trail thruhike, but haven't
                                                  gotten there yet. I'm working on the winter 46, enjoy rock climbing, and
                                                  am learning to ice climb.

                                                  Jeff's a great resource for everything, basically. As far as insulation
                                                  goes: I've only recently upgraded from a closed-cell foam pad (the
                                                  ubiquitous blue foam pad) and a pair of very light windshield reflectors
                                                  from the dollar store. I used the windshield reflector(s) because I have
                                                  broad shoulders.

                                                  I'm now using a Hennessy SuperShelter, but the pad/reflector option is
                                                  easy, very effective, and extremely economical.

                                                  Good luck!
                                                  Hollis
                                                • Tom Galvin
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                                                    Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be finished mid January.

                                                    Tom Galvin
                                                    Commodore
                                                    Cold Spring Kayak Club
                                                    914-213-3421
                                                    thebaldguyd@...
                                                    www.cskc.org

                                                    IntroductionPosted by: "holliscbarton" ratsmouth@aol. com holliscbartonDate: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:39 am ((PST)) Hiya! New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not to camping. I'm a 60 year old female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a HH Safari Deluxe. Not all that interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to tent camping, especially as I get older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a shelter that's compact and easy to put up in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly is important to me. I camp with a couple of other 60+ year old crones. We're all avid campers, paddlers and "moseyers" and just enjoy each other's good company in the woods and on the lakes. Looking forward to picking up ideas for making my HH comfortable and convenient. Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom Generation?

                                                  • ratsmouth@aol.com
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                                                      Tom - The Long Lake trip sounds like fun. I'm consulting with my two
                                                      camping buddies to see if we have plans for those dates. I know we've
                                                      got a week when we're just going to hang out at Forked Lake, swim,
                                                      kayak and eat like pigs. But if I'm free......yeah.

                                                      Ratty

                                                      From: Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...>

                                                      To: "hammockcamping" <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
                                                        Hi, Tom, Ratty, Et Al-

                                                        Tom-You and I "talked" about a possible Labor Day trip with your group, but hubby's and my timm off work did not allow as many days as we needed. We could not make it work. It would be great if we could set up something this summer.

                                                        Ratty-How cool! We will have some fun here.

                                                        As far as your Hennessy set up-I think you posted that you are fairly short. The Safari has a much deeper body as well as longer length than the other Hennessy models, so you will need to hang it proportioinally higher. You may see write-ups that say to hang the hammock ropes at about shoulder height or close to that. That is a good starting point for one sized to your height. Your shoulder height will be much lower than someone who is 6'6," a target user for the Safari. The direction to hang the hammock so the entrance is about chair height should still be close for you. It is just hard to figure that out without experience. How much everything sags will also depend on how far apart the trees are. Even with experience, you may find yourself needing to adjust things, but not to worry. If you have the straps slung around the trees, not wrapped tightly, you should be able to work the straps up or down without untying everything.

                                                        Your best bet for insulation might be an SPE so that you can get insulation right under you. I might also use a big tarp, slug low, and/or an outer wrapping of a space blanket. For your hammock you may need to put two together. I'm thinking that most systems would end up bing incredibly bulky to wrap around your whold hammock body.

                                                        We can work on this more later, since you are looking at starting with your hammock in the spring. There is a small group of Mid-Atlantic Hammock Hangers who get together a few time a year. Michael or someone will post whne the next event is planned. If not, I will speak up. Meeting on the Maryland AT makes it a bit of a ride for me, but it is a great group.

                                                        Gotta run. I'm heading off to Ohio to see my parents in few hours.

                                                        Happy New Year!

                                                        Rosaleen

                                                        Re: IntroductionPosted by: "Tom Galvin" thebaldguyd@... thebaldguydDate: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:02 pm ((PST)) Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be finished mid January.

                                                      • spidennis
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
                                                          Hi all, I'm introducing myself, dennis here, on south padre island texas ...... and I see a trip
                                                          on the raquette river? cool, after years of seeing other people do that I finally did this
                                                          exact (and popular) trip last summer. the portage at the raquette river falls is a tough one
                                                          and wheels certainly helped out, though the first say 1/8 mile you got to carry on the
                                                          uphill part anyway, but after that it's pretty much all downhill. I learned of the "90 miler" 3
                                                          day race in which the long lake to tupper lake section is the day 2 part, so I got it all
                                                          scouted out for when I do this race in sept'09. since I stay on tupper lake, doing this run
                                                          will be logistically easy for me, I just have to have someone drop me off at the LL boat
                                                          ramp, then I paddle all day, right up to the dock and have dinner. It'll make a great
                                                          training session for the 3 day event. btw, the boyscouts take 5 days to do this trip, but
                                                          they do plenty of camping along the way and needless to say, the campsites fill up fast in
                                                          summer time. I did mention this is a popular route? anyway, with my eno
                                                          hammock/bugnet and swt I had planned to just find any spot (on state land) to use and
                                                          not bother trying to hunt/race for a numbered site. On tupper lake there's plenty of sites
                                                          that are usually empty and there's always blue jay campsite with full hookups for trailers
                                                          and such which is another popular option. I have other local area knowledge too if anyone
                                                          is interested. btw, I spent over two months camping out in my eno this past summer, oh
                                                          yeah!

                                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...> wrote:

                                                          > Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing
                                                          a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to
                                                          Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you
                                                          guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be
                                                          finished mid January.

                                                          > Tom Galvin
                                                          > Commodore
                                                          > Cold Spring Kayak Club
                                                          > 914-213-3421
                                                          > thebaldguyd@...
                                                          > www.cskc.org

                                                        • David Fox
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jan 6, 2009
                                                            Hi SPIDennis, Are you all cleaned up from the visit by Dolly this summer? I
                                                            live up in Dallas and have come to SPI every summer now since I was 3 years
                                                            old. That started 50 years ago! I missed a couple of years while I was in
                                                            the military and this summer since it was two days after Dolly came through
                                                            but I did make it down about three weeks after Dolly to check on my mothers'
                                                            place at the Radisson. Glad to see another person from Texas here on the
                                                            hammockcamping group.

                                                            <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...>