RE: [Hammock Camping] wet again

    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 12, 2005
      Marta, the wet weather gear tester! That must have been quite a storm
      Marta! It would test the nerve of anyone. I've noticed that with
      long-lasting heavy rain, a lot of water coming down the tree trunk will
      run/soak along the straps. With a pool of rain water inside the hammock, I
      too suspect it came down the strap/s rather than being blown in. The Speer
      Hammock is made with ripstop nylon that is hot calendared on one side (the
      shinny side). Hot calendar is a fabric technique applied at the
      manufacturing mill and it involves near-complete melting of the nylon fabric
      to produce a stronger and less breathable fabric-it will briefly hold water
      that's not under pressure like a tiny puddle. It may be that a lot of rain
      water came into your hammock and then passed thru the bottom of the hammock
      leaving wet hammock but only a tiny puddle at any one time. You're lucky
      you had the foam pad! Years ago I wasn't so lucky!

      I doubt that the angle or length of the hanging strap is the culprit since
      water would soak down the length of the strap at any angle or length. I've
      notice before that tying a bandana or sock as a drip catcher can result in
      the flat strap being folded back onto itself and I've wondered if water
      could still make its way past the bandana or sock. In other words, the
      more-absorbent bandana or sock is only in contact with one side of the
      webbing strap-this leaves room for some water to continue downward along the
      webbing strap pass the drip catcher. I always make sure my bandana or sock
      is in full contact with both sides of the strap, so I've never tested the
      'folded strap' scenario, but I have wondered what would happen if I left the
      strap folded at the drip catcher. Could this be what happened to you? I'd
      really like to resolve this mystery since we all could benefit...Ed.

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 25, 2005
        I know I'm a little late wading in :~) on this topic but today is my
        first day back from a 3 week kayak trip off Canada's west coast and
        the subject is very relevant. The particular area we were in is
        reputed to receive 324 inches of rainfall a year... and it felt like
        they received all of that in the 21 days we were there!

        At the last minute before departing, I butchered an old tarp to make
        up some "end caps" and I'm very thankful I did (pic is in the album
        Neale). I kept them rectangular so I could play around with shape and
        configuration. The top corner of the caps tied off a few inches inside
        the tarp peak and, for all the reasons discussed in this thread,
        effectively prevented water running along the tarp ridgeline and
        dripping over the hammock. I got no water blowing in the ends - and we
        had gale-force winds on several occassions. Because they're not needed
        all the time and I appreciated being able to adapt the set-up, I'm not
        sure I'll actually attach them permanently to the tarp as I'd planned
        but I'll certainly move to a more triangluar cut.

        I tried cord and bandanas to wick the water from the HH hammock lines.
        Both worked fine for me. I actually had more difficulty stopping the
        flow down the tension lines for my JRB nest system. In future I'll
        discard the stock suspension cords (I believe they're too long and
        hang the quilt too low in rainy conditions) and use much shorter lines
        to attach just upstream of the hammock-line joint. I eventually
        discovered that using the snake skins to cover the lines until they
        were under the tarp worked fine but I still got light moisture
        travelling into the ends of the down underquilt. The other issue with
        this solution was that I could no longer use the snake skins to furl
        the hammock once they were wet - they'd certainly soak the hammock
        during storage which would be a pain when expecting multiple days of rain.

        My question to the group is this...

        When we add the extras to stay dry and warm (ie. a separate tarp
        requiring additional stakeouts rather than the HH integrated,
        under-quilts, under-covers and end caps) - none of which goes into the
        regular snake skins so each element requires just that little extra
        time to put-up and take-down, are there ways to economize on the
        time/effort required to set up? I was a whole lot more comfortable
        than my tenting colleagues during this trip but then they were set up
        and relaxing with a cup of tea a whole lot sooner than I was. It pains
        me for the hammocks to be out-done on this one dimension. How can I
        make hammocking even more virtuous by (radically?) shortening the set
        up time? Tips? Techniques?

        Jim