RE: Hammock Camping Re: First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers Trip

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
      Message
      Hopefully, ther'll be more trips in the future--maybe you can make the next one...Ed

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 11, 2003
        > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003

        Ed,

        Won't be able to make this trip. Little Bear and I are going to get
        together and hike the Benton MacKaye Trail next week. I am really
        looking forward to it, the last time I saw Little Bear was in PA when
        we were doing our AT thru-hikes in 2000. BTW, I am leaving my HH at
        home and will try out the two-layer Speer hammock I made. I also
        sewed velcro on the 8 foot ends of my tarp like you suggested.

        Hope I can make your next trip. I think everyone will enjoy that
        section of trail, the folks that haven't been there before are in for
        a treat.

        Youngblood
      • Amy
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 11, 2003
          To make sure I have grasped this information correctly,
          somebody please tell me if I have this right:

          I can hang a space blanket or my poncho under
          my hammock, put air or air and leaves in a couple
          of garbage bags, stuff them in the poncho or
          space blanket, and have a nice warm hammock?

          I already have a system for hanging the space blanket,
          so adding garbage bag's be a snap.

          -amy
        • colonelcorn76
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 12, 2003
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Amy <askowronek@m...> wrote:

            > To make sure I have grasped this information correctly,
            > somebody please tell me if I have this right:
            >
            > I can hang a space blanket or my poncho under
            > my hammock, put air or air and leaves in a couple
            > of garbage bags, stuff them in the poncho or
            > space blanket, and have a nice warm hammock?
            >
            > I already have a system for hanging the space blanket,
            > so adding garbage bag's be a snap.
            >
            > -amy

            Yep.

            I also tend to lower my hammock in cold weather as well to limit the
            amount of space the air can move around under me. In warm weather I
            pitch it with the fly over my head so I have to stand on tiptoes and
            kind of hooch backwards to get in (Hennessey). In colder weather
            (<40) I move the hammock down to "normal" height about 3' off the
            ground (which puts the fly somewhere around the 5-5 1/2' height.
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 12, 2003
              Bummer. I was looking forward to putting a face with the guy who
              gave me the helpful directions. Like you say maybe next time.
              Enjoy your hike with Little Bear.

              Coy Boy

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 13, 2003
                Message
                We'll miss ya Youngblood---if you don't come this time, does that mean we won't have any falling trees? LOL

                I'm sure you'll enjoy your hike on the BMT.  All the best....Ed

                > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003

                Ed,

                Won't be able to make this trip.  Little Bear and I are going to get
                together and hike the Benton MacKaye Trail next week.  I am really
                looking forward to it, the last time I saw Little Bear was in PA when
                we were doing our AT thru-hikes in 2000.  BTW, I am leaving my HH at
                home and will try out the two-layer Speer hammock I made.  I also
                sewed velcro on the 8 foot ends of my tarp like you suggested.

                Hope I can make your next trip.  I think everyone will enjoy that
                section of trail, the folks that haven't been there before are in for
                a treat.

                Youngblood

              • Ray Garlington
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 13, 2003
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Amy <askowronek@m...> wrote:

                  > To make sure I have grasped this information correctly,
                  > somebody please tell me if I have this right:
                  >
                  > I can hang a space blanket or my poncho under
                  > my hammock, put air or air and leaves in a couple
                  > of garbage bags, stuff them in the poncho or
                  > space blanket, and have a nice warm hammock?
                  >
                  > I already have a system for hanging the space blanket,
                  > so adding garbage bag's be a snap.
                  >
                  > -amy

                  You have the right idea; however, take a look at the "Ray Garlington"
                  folder in the Photos section for this group. There are pictures of
                  the "version 2" shell and the spaceblanket/insulator bag I'm using.
                • karens62@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 13, 2003
                    In a message dated 4/13/2003 4:07:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, info@... writes:

                    if you don't come this time, does that mean we won't have any falling trees? LOL

                    You don't have to be concerned that you will be bored with the weather conditions.  I am sure I can drum up a nice little blizzard to keep you on your toes!

                    POG
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 13, 2003
                      Message
                      POG, just remember what I told ya!  Since it's snowed both times you've gone hiking in the past 10 days--if it snows the next time you're out, we'll ban ya forever from the AT!  LOL  I'll be watching ya carefully on the Chattooga trip! ...Ed

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 14, 2003
                        Looks like at least 7 hammock hangers will be makeing the Chattooga
                        River trip! Some coming from as far away as KY! The weather looks
                        good--hopefully the freak snow storms of late are over. In fact,
                        Spring has returned big time with hi's of 80 today! There's still
                        some snow above 5,000', but it's melting fast. We will be hiking and
                        camping below 2,500'. Expect Spring wildflowers and leafing trees.
                        Anyone planning to come can just show up at the trailhead or meet us
                        at the campsite Sat pm--if you let me know you're coming, we'll keep
                        a watch out for you...Ed

                        > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003
                        >
                        > The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers (FASHH) trip has been
                        > rescheduled for Easter weekend. Everyone welcome--plenty of room
                        for
                        > hammock hangers or ground sleepers. Join us for a Spring outing
                        along
                        > the famous Chattooga River on the GA-SC state line. We will hike
                        and
                        > camp on the SC side. Plan now to attend!
                        >
                        > This is a chance for avid hammock hangers to get together and
                        compare
                        > notes and share ideas. Show off your latest homemade creation!
                        >
                        > Our February trip was wiped out due to severe weather--but it
                        should
                        > be much milder in late April. In fact, it's already turned Spring
                        > here with flowers and trees in full bloom. Expect temps from 40's
                        > 80's.
                        >
                        > Hammock Hangers Trip
                        > Foothills Trail, SC--Chattooga River Section--Apr 19-20, 2003
                        >
                        > Hike: 10.4 mi on South Carolina's Foothills Trail. Easy-moderate
                        > trail section that follows Chattooga River. Scenic/historic
                        mountain
                        > river that separates Georgia and South Carolina. Popular rafting
                        > river; locale for movie 'Deliverance'. We will hike in about 5 mi
                        > and camp Sat night, then hike out Sun. Possible 0.5 mi hike to
                        > highest waterfall in eastern US (Whitewater Falls) on Sun (only 10
                        mi drive> away).

                        > Meet: Trailhead parking lot on Burrells' Ford Road (Forest Service
                        > road 708, starts paved but soon changes to gravel). Gather at my
                        white Chevy van (NC plates).
                        > To reach the parking lot, follow Burrells' Ford Road approx 2.5 mi
                        > west of SC 107 (paved). The junction of Burrell's Ford Road and SC
                        > 107 is approx 5 mi south of the NC/SC line on SC 107. The trailhead
                        > parking area is approx 1/4 mi before (or east of where) Burrell's
                        > Ford Road crosses Chattooga River. We will shuttle one or more
                        > vehicles to the south trailhead about 6-7 mi south on SC 107.
                        Highway 107 junctions with SC 28 about 8 mi north of Walhalla, SC
                        which is about 15 mi north of I-85 and 40 mi west of Greenville, SC.

                        > Departure from north trailhead at Burrell's Ford: 11:00 am Sat.
                        Hike south (down river) on Foothills Trail

                        > Campsite Sat night: Group decision; riverside choices at 5 & 5.5
                        > mi. We will camp inside the Chattooga Wild and Scenic River
                        Corridor where Leave No Trace restrictions apply. Campfires (small)
                        allowed only in established campsite fire rings; cook on camp stoves.

                        > Arrival at south trailhead on SC 107: mid-day Sun. End of hike is
                        > trailhead at junction of SC 107 and Cheohee Road (Forest Service
                        road 710), about 6 mi north of Oconee State Park.

                        > Misc: Oconee State Park (w/ campground, reservations suggested) is
                        > located nearby on SC 107. Primitive camping is available near
                        > trailhead parking area on Burrell's Ford Road (short walk-in). Some
                        > car camping may be available along Burrell's Ford Road. Expect 40-
                        80 degrees, pack for 30-50 degrees; hope for 50-70! Bring trail
                        lunches for Sat and Sun, dinner Sat, & breakfast Sun. Late arrivals
                        can still probably find us since we will be camped in one of several
                        large primitive riverside campsites along the Foothills Trail
                        (probably 5 or 5.5 mi south of Burrell's Ford trailhead). Primitive
                        road access exists at 5.5 mi point--possible bailout route if needed.
                        Longer hikes can be arranged for those with more time. Some possibly

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 17, 2003
                          > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003
                          >
                          > The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers (FASHH) trip has been
                          > rescheduled for Easter weekend. Everyone welcome--plenty of room
                          for
                          > hammock hangers or ground sleepers. Join us for a Spring outing
                          along
                          > the famous Chattooga River on the GA-SC state line. We will hike
                          and
                          > camp on the SC side. Plan now to attend!
                          >
                          > This is a chance for avid hammock hangers to get together and
                          compare
                          > notes and share ideas. Show off your latest homemade creation!

                          The weather forecast for our hike is promissing:

                          Fri Am showers; 73/54F
                          Sat Partly cloudy 71/58F
                          Sun Scattered T-storms 75/57F

                          At least it will be very warm! An isolated T-storm on our way out on
                          Sun AM would only add to the adventure without adding much problem.
                          In fact, we may place an escape vehicle close to our Sat nite
                          campsite just to be safe. Everyone welcome...Ed
                        • Coy
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 17, 2003
                            Hi Ed

                            Sounds like perfect hammocking weather. A good shower on the hike
                            out might help refresh everyone for the long ride home.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 18, 2003
                              Message
                              Coy Boy--looking at the weather forecast for the area again this am, I find: partly cloudy to cloudy, 10-12% chance of rain, temps of mid 70's to mid 50's

                              So I suspect you can leave the snow chains at home this time! LOL   ....Ed

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 20, 2003
                                > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003

                                The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers Trip (FASHHT) is now
                                history--hope everyone made it home safe. It was a great weekend
                                with mild cloudy and warm weather. Seven hammock hangers from AL, KY
                                & NC converged Sat morning and began the hike. We quickly passed
                                King's Creek Falls, where a spectacular rain-swollen creek cascaded
                                over a verticle rock face and a sudden break in the clouds provided
                                probably the best sunny Kodak moment of the entire trip. Hiking on,
                                we passed blooming Trillium, Wild Iris, and Dogwood as we made our
                                way to the Chattooga River. We set up camp a bit short of our
                                originally planned distance due to Karen's mildly-twisted ankle--a
                                victum of rain-soaked tree roots! Everyone pitched in and soon our
                                unscheduled campsite became a cozy riverside home with hammocks
                                everywhere! Karen recovered over night and hiked out Sun am on her
                                own (she thanks Coy for the pack assist).

                                With our hammokcs, we were able to use this tiny established
                                campsite, although there was level space for only one tent--the
                                hammocks literally saved the day for us! In addition, we were
                                satisfied our hammocks did no undue harm to the site.

                                The shelters consisted of five Speer Hammocks (including a home-made
                                one), one Hennessey, and one Crazy Creek--the uniqueness and color
                                variety of our camp certainly created a carnival atmosphere! Everyone
                                got the chance to show off their specific gear and we learned from
                                each other. For two hammockers, this was their first night off the
                                ground. For us old pros, it was a chance to strut our stuff and teach
                                others the better way.

                                The relaxed afternoon soon gave way to universal power naps and by
                                dinner time we gathered around a small camp fire in the midst of the
                                hammocks. Conversations continued well into the night.

                                With everyone well rested and Karen boasting "better than any night
                                I've ever spent on the ground", we packed up and left after breakfast
                                on Easter Sunday, making it back to the cars by late morning. With
                                promisses to 'do it again', we parted and began our journeys home.

                                Some photos of the trip will soon be posted on this site. Thanks to
                                everyone who made the trip--I enjoyed meeting new friends and
                                renewing old friendships. Let's hope this is the begining of a new
                                tradition. Everyone who missed this trip should definately plan to
                                make the next one! ...Ed