keeping tension/ how much tension

  • ekunitz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005
      I've had my HH UL asym for about two weeks now and I have a few
      questions. after playing in the trees with it a number of times I've
      been experimenting with it on the ground. Here is where I've run into a
      few problems. I can't seem to keep enough tension in the hammock's
      ridgeline in order to pitch the tarp properly, or for that matter to
      even keep the bug mesh off my face. I found an earlier posting about
      the triangle method of staking out the lines but when ever I reach the
      desired tension, it seems to be too much force for the pegs to hold (I
      must admit that the earth here has been fairly rain saturated in the
      past weeks). This leads me to two conclusions: A., that I'm using the
      wrong type of pegs (normal rounded tent pegs) or B., something is wrong
      with my pitching angles (i.e., how high should I pitch the ridgeline
      off the ground, how much of the hammock should be "supported" off the
      ground, ect.). It looks so easy on Sgt. Rocks's website!

      My second question is about how tight to tie it when hanging. In my
      first few attempts at setting up (It took me about 20 minutes the first
      time!) I really reefed on the lines and made really tight knots. After
      climbing in and then readjusting the lines (again tightening them) I
      tried to get comfortable. I was so sad, after reading so much about the
      comfortable nap I thought I would have, to find an acute and pestering
      pressure in my heels. I've tried raising the foot end by about 4
      inches, and even tying up the hammock with a little more slack in the
      line, but nothing seems to work. Am I doing something wrong?

      everett
    • Doug Meredith
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005
        "ekunitz" <everettkunitz@...>
        wrote:

        >tried to get comfortable. I was so sad, after reading so much about the
        >comfortable nap I thought I would have, to find an acute and pestering
        >pressure in my heels. I've tried raising the foot end by about 4
        >inches, and even tying up the hammock with a little more slack in the
        >line, but nothing seems to work. Am I doing something wrong?

        Are you making sure to lie on the diagonal?

        Doug
        --
        Doug Meredith (doug.meredith@...)
        SystemGuard - Oracle remote support
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005
          doug,

          That was my first thought also. I tried one diagonal, and then the
          other. I'm not sure which why is intended to create the "perfect
          curve" advocated on the stuff sack. If I snuggle my left shoulder
          into the corner formed by the tie out on that side, and directed my
          feet towards the other corner tie out, I assume that I should be in
          the flattest position possible. The problem is that I end up with my
          head resting on the bug netting. I guess that might be too far
          diagaonal?

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Doug Meredith
          <doug.meredith@s...> wrote:
          > "ekunitz" <everettkunitz@h...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > >tried to get comfortable. I was so sad, after reading so much
          about the
          > >comfortable nap I thought I would have, to find an acute and
          pestering
          > >pressure in my heels. I've tried raising the foot end by about 4
          > >inches, and even tying up the hammock with a little more slack in
          the
          > >line, but nothing seems to work. Am I doing something wrong?
          >
          > Are you making sure to lie on the diagonal?
          >
          > Doug
          > --
          > Doug Meredith (doug.meredith@s...)
          > SystemGuard - Oracle remote support
          > 877-974-8273 (87-SYSGUARD)
          > 506-854-7997
          > www.systemguard.com
        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005
            HH people, doesn't it sound like the problem is not with the tightness
            of the side guylines, but of the main support straps/ropes? Like
            somehow it's hung looseley enough that the ridgeline doesn't draw tight?

            Bill in Houston

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ekunitz" <everettkunitz@h...>
            wrote:
            > I've had my HH UL asym for about two weeks now and I have a few
            > questions. after playing in the trees with it a number of times I've
            > been experimenting with it on the ground. Here is where I've run into
            > few problems. I can't seem to keep enough tension in the hammock's
            > ridgeline in order to pitch the tarp properly, or for that matter to
            > even keep the bug mesh off my face. I found an earlier posting about
            > the triangle method of staking out the lines but when ever I reach
            the
            > desired tension, <snip>
          • Doug Meredith
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
              "ekunitz" <everettkunitz@...>
              wrote:

              >If I snuggle my left shoulder
              >into the corner formed by the tie out on that side, and directed my
              >feet towards the other corner tie out, I assume that I should be in
              >the flattest position possible.

              Yes that is the correct way to use it.

              >The problem is that I end up with my
              >head resting on the bug netting. I guess that might be too far
              >diagaonal?

              It sounds like it.

              Doug
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
                everett,

                How tall are you?

                Dave

                <doug.meredith@s...> wrote:
                > "ekunitz" <everettkunitz@h...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > >If I snuggle my left shoulder
                > >into the corner formed by the tie out on that side, and directed
                my
                > >feet towards the other corner tie out, I assume that I should be
                in
                > >the flattest position possible.
                >
                > Yes that is the correct way to use it.
                >
                > >The problem is that I end up with my
                > >head resting on the bug netting. I guess that might be too far
                > >diagaonal?
                >
                > It sounds like it.
                >
                > Doug
                > --
                > Doug Meredith (doug.meredith@s...)
                > SystemGuard - Oracle remote support
                > 877-974-8273 (87-SYSGUARD)
                > 506-854-7997
                > www.systemguard.com
              • ekunitz
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
                  I'm 178 cm/ about 5'10". This should mean that I meet the height
                  requirements for the HH ul asym.