tree-climber

  • ceciliahuset
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2005
      Hi everybody,
      I'm new to this list, I have read some of the messages and I am
      impressed by the generosity of experience and advice.
      Anybody got experiences with hammocks high up in trees?
      I always dreamed about learning to fly but never found any
      realistic possibility to practice it. And parchuting and bungy
      jumping - I mean how much flying is it? Some 20 seconds, just
      enough to pee in your pants and then it's over.
      So I was happy to join a tree-climbing course last spring. My
      dreams came true! The trees are all free, waitng for me in the
      forest, and I can stop the fall and stay mid-air for as long as I
      wish. It is a true miracle.
      Now I want to expand my dream and stay up there to sleep. I
      have been looking for hammocks and found the tree-boats on
      www.newtribe.com But someone told me they are
      uncomfortable, you can only lie on your back and in an awkward
      bent position.
      The pros are 4-point attachment and very strong material. They
      come with rain fly, mosquito net and pea pod. But with the
      shipping (to Sweden) it will be quite expensive so I prefer to
      make my own.
      I am experimenting with the Ed Speer-model, I love that
      simpleness. But staying some 20 meters up in the air demand
      some extra functions: I want both rain fly and mosquito net to be
      not separate parts, but stuck to the hammock. There will be no
      ground to attach the lines to. I want to be able to adjust them
      from inside the hammock. I also must leave an opening at the
      top for the rope attached to my harness to lead up to its anchor
      point above – without letting rain and wild animals in.
      I slept last night in my first home-made hammock ( 75
      centimeters above ground, attached between the cherry and the
      apple tree). It was lovely and very comfortable. But today I feel a
      bit dizzy. My head is turning. Could it be that one becomes kind of
      sea-sick from the rocking? (Tree-sick?) Anybody had this
      feeling?
      Hope to hear you opinions.
      / Christina, in Tjornarp, Sweden
    • Moz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2005
        ceciliahuset said:
        > some extra functions: I want both rain fly and mosquito net to be
        > not separate parts, but stuck to the hammock. (etc, etc)

        This depends a lot on the tree you camp in. Many trees have quite
        substantial branches, making it easy to attach a couple of fly-lines.
        I use a Hennessey Hammock in trees with some success, and before that
        used a home-made one that worked in a similar way. Be aware that you
        are more likely to end up falling if you hang the hammock between two
        trees high up - the tops move much more than the bottoms (and mroe
        than branches do relative to each other).

        Currently I run a length of 6mm rope out through the slit in the HH,
        but ideally I'd like an opening in the side and a quickdraw sewn
        through the top of the netting. I haven't down that yet though.

        I suggest you add a hauling pulley (only goes round one way) to your
        collection, as that makes it much easier to bring stuff up into the
        tree. When cycle touring I occasionally find it useful to camp 20m or
        30m off the ground, and lifting something that heavy you need at least
        2:1 pulley advantage (80kg or so). So it depends on what you're
        carrying.

        When you're up a tree, it's often useful to have a "gear hammock" or
        something that can be stretched out to make a more or less flat
        surface. Otherwise cooking and so on can be a real pain, but that also
        depends on whether you want to go down to cook. I'm used to trees
        where that's a real pain (descend 30m, cook, climb 30m? I don't think
        so). I carry a 70cm triangle of doubled ripstop with gear cord edging
        that makes biner loops in the corners. So I can sit on it if I want
        to, but normally I just put gear on it as I unpack it. The HH in
        seat mode is not a good place to put things - it's too liable to shake
        and drop your gear.

        Moz