RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: hammock V house poll

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
      Great, Thanks Fuzzy. But since any member can issue a poll, it will be up
      to them to choose to display or not to display the email addresses of the
      voters. I could set it up so only the moderators can issue a poll, but that
      kind of defeats the usefulness of our List-so I'll leave it up to each
      member who issues a poll...Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
        (not a solution, that would seem to be Fuzzy's idea, unless displaying
        the other email addresses is preferred)

        Ed, you could copy and paste the poll result into a new post of your
        own which you entitle "hammock V house poll". You could then delete
        Rosaleen's (and possibly other's) email address, post the edited
        result and delete the earlier, unedited post.

        This would keep the result for the archives, yet satisfy Rosaleen's
        (understandable) concern regarding spam bots.

        André

        P.S.: Come to think of it, should you go this route, please also
        delete my address (I was surprised to see it show up - no reason to
        make work easier for spam bots). Thanks.
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...>
          wrote:
          > I'm not Shane, but I have an answer for you: when creating the
          poll,
          > there is an option of whether to display the email addresses with
          each
          > vote or not. If it is set up from the beginning with 'do not
          display',
          > I think that would be all that is needed.

          If memory serves each individual can go into the My Account area and
          block the publication of their email addresss as well (in both
          messages and polls). It's better to put your addy in a sig line
          anyway.

          (freebie for the bots)
          dlfrost@... ;-)
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
            Now that sounds like a workable solution---thanks Andre. Will try it
            tomorrow….Ed

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
              Please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

              As far as I know, on the group website, the e-mail addresses are
              shown only up to and including the @ sign, like zippydooda@, which
              supposedly protects them from the bots. Is this what other web-
              viewing non-moderators see?

              And, for people receiving posts by e-mail, your e-mail address is
              included in every post that you make. So, people who receive e-mails
              already know Rosaleen's address, and everyone else's. Right?

              So I don't think that the poll results are revealing any secrets. At
              least not to me...

              Bill in Houston

              > Great, Thanks Fuzzy. But since any member can issue a poll, it
              will be up
              > to them to choose to display or not to display the email addresses
              of the
              > voters. I could set it up so only the moderators can issue a poll,
              but that
              > kind of defeats the usefulness of our List-so I'll leave it up to
              each
              > member who issues a poll...Ed
              >

              > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
              >
              > Editor, Hammock Camping News
              >
              > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
              >

              > _____

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
                > So I don't think that the poll results are revealing any secrets. At
                > least not to me...
                >
                > Bill in Houston

                I looked and had her complete address including the @...
                And I have Bill's also.