[Hammock Camping] Re: hammock V house poll

  • Fuzzy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
      > Yeah, that's what I found too Shane. Do people on other lists you
      monitor
      > want the Poll posts deleted to protect the email addresses?.....Ed

      Ed,

      I'm not Shane, but I have an answer for you: when creating the poll,
      there is an option of whether to display the email addresses with each
      vote or not. If it is set up from the beginning with 'do not display',
      I think that would be all that is needed.

      Fuzzy
      (lurking)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
        Great, Thanks Fuzzy. But since any member can issue a poll, it will be up
        to them to choose to display or not to display the email addresses of the
        voters. I could set it up so only the moderators can issue a poll, but that
        kind of defeats the usefulness of our List-so I'll leave it up to each
        member who issues a poll...Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        > Yeah, that's what I found too Shane. Do people on other lists you
        monitor
        > want the Poll posts deleted to protect the email addresses?.....Ed

        Ed,

        I'm not Shane, but I have an answer for you: when creating the poll,
        there is an option of whether to display the email addresses with each
        vote or not. If it is set up from the beginning with 'do not display',
        I think that would be all that is needed.

        Fuzzy
        (lurking)

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "hammockcamping

        _____

      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
          (not a solution, that would seem to be Fuzzy's idea, unless displaying
          the other email addresses is preferred)

          Ed, you could copy and paste the poll result into a new post of your
          own which you entitle "hammock V house poll". You could then delete
          Rosaleen's (and possibly other's) email address, post the edited
          result and delete the earlier, unedited post.

          This would keep the result for the archives, yet satisfy Rosaleen's
          (understandable) concern regarding spam bots.

          André

          P.S.: Come to think of it, should you go this route, please also
          delete my address (I was surprised to see it show up - no reason to
          make work easier for spam bots). Thanks.
        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...>
            wrote:
            > I'm not Shane, but I have an answer for you: when creating the
            poll,
            > there is an option of whether to display the email addresses with
            each
            > vote or not. If it is set up from the beginning with 'do not
            display',
            > I think that would be all that is needed.

            If memory serves each individual can go into the My Account area and
            block the publication of their email addresss as well (in both
            messages and polls). It's better to put your addy in a sig line
            anyway.

            (freebie for the bots)
            dlfrost@... ;-)
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
              Now that sounds like a workable solution---thanks Andre. Will try it
              tomorrow….Ed

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
                Please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

                As far as I know, on the group website, the e-mail addresses are
                shown only up to and including the @ sign, like zippydooda@, which
                supposedly protects them from the bots. Is this what other web-
                viewing non-moderators see?

                And, for people receiving posts by e-mail, your e-mail address is
                included in every post that you make. So, people who receive e-mails
                already know Rosaleen's address, and everyone else's. Right?

                So I don't think that the poll results are revealing any secrets. At
                least not to me...

                Bill in Houston

                > Great, Thanks Fuzzy. But since any member can issue a poll, it
                will be up
                > to them to choose to display or not to display the email addresses
                of the
                > voters. I could set it up so only the moderators can issue a poll,
                but that
                > kind of defeats the usefulness of our List-so I'll leave it up to
                each
                > member who issues a poll...Ed
                >

                > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
                >
                > Editor, Hammock Camping News
                >
                > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
                >

                > _____

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
                  > So I don't think that the poll results are revealing any secrets. At
                  > least not to me...
                  >
                  > Bill in Houston

                  I looked and had her complete address including the @...
                  And I have Bill's also.