RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: hammock V house poll

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
      Yeah, that's what I found too Shane. Do people on other lists you monitor
      want the Poll posts deleted to protect the email addresses?.....Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
        > Yeah, that's what I found too Shane. Do people on other lists you
        monitor
        > want the Poll posts deleted to protect the email addresses?.....Ed

        Ed,

        I'm not Shane, but I have an answer for you: when creating the poll,
        there is an option of whether to display the email addresses with each
        vote or not. If it is set up from the beginning with 'do not display',
        I think that would be all that is needed.

        Fuzzy
        (lurking)
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
          Great, Thanks Fuzzy. But since any member can issue a poll, it will be up
          to them to choose to display or not to display the email addresses of the
          voters. I could set it up so only the moderators can issue a poll, but that
          kind of defeats the usefulness of our List-so I'll leave it up to each
          member who issues a poll...Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Editor, Hammock Camping News

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          _____

          > Yeah, that's what I found too Shane. Do people on other lists you
          monitor
          > want the Poll posts deleted to protect the email addresses?.....Ed

          Ed,

          I'm not Shane, but I have an answer for you: when creating the poll,
          there is an option of whether to display the email addresses with each
          vote or not. If it is set up from the beginning with 'do not display',
          I think that would be all that is needed.

          Fuzzy
          (lurking)

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "hammockcamping

          _____

        • André Corterier
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
            (not a solution, that would seem to be Fuzzy's idea, unless displaying
            the other email addresses is preferred)

            Ed, you could copy and paste the poll result into a new post of your
            own which you entitle "hammock V house poll". You could then delete
            Rosaleen's (and possibly other's) email address, post the edited
            result and delete the earlier, unedited post.

            This would keep the result for the archives, yet satisfy Rosaleen's
            (understandable) concern regarding spam bots.

            André

            P.S.: Come to think of it, should you go this route, please also
            delete my address (I was surprised to see it show up - no reason to
            make work easier for spam bots). Thanks.
          • dlfrost_1
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...>
              wrote:
              > I'm not Shane, but I have an answer for you: when creating the
              poll,
              > there is an option of whether to display the email addresses with
              each
              > vote or not. If it is set up from the beginning with 'do not
              display',
              > I think that would be all that is needed.

              If memory serves each individual can go into the My Account area and
              block the publication of their email addresss as well (in both
              messages and polls). It's better to put your addy in a sig line
              anyway.

              (freebie for the bots)
              dlfrost@... ;-)
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
                Now that sounds like a workable solution---thanks Andre. Will try it
                tomorrow….Ed

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
                  Please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

                  As far as I know, on the group website, the e-mail addresses are
                  shown only up to and including the @ sign, like zippydooda@, which
                  supposedly protects them from the bots. Is this what other web-
                  viewing non-moderators see?

                  And, for people receiving posts by e-mail, your e-mail address is
                  included in every post that you make. So, people who receive e-mails
                  already know Rosaleen's address, and everyone else's. Right?

                  So I don't think that the poll results are revealing any secrets. At
                  least not to me...

                  Bill in Houston

                  > Great, Thanks Fuzzy. But since any member can issue a poll, it
                  will be up
                  > to them to choose to display or not to display the email addresses
                  of the
                  > voters. I could set it up so only the moderators can issue a poll,
                  but that
                  > kind of defeats the usefulness of our List-so I'll leave it up to
                  each
                  > member who issues a poll...Ed
                  >

                  > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
                  >
                  > Editor, Hammock Camping News
                  >
                  > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
                  >

                  > _____

                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
                    > So I don't think that the poll results are revealing any secrets. At
                    > least not to me...
                    >
                    > Bill in Houston

                    I looked and had her complete address including the @...
                    And I have Bill's also.