Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: hammock V house poll

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
      > I can't figure out how to delete individual email addresses in the
      > completed poll results posts. Can anyone else tell me if this is
      > possible?

      In my experience with Yahoo, you have to delete the entire poll.

      The poll bot isn't very feature rich...

      Shane
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
        Yeah, that's what I found too Shane. Do people on other lists you monitor
        want the Poll posts deleted to protect the email addresses?.....Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        > I can't figure out how to delete individual email addresses in the
        > completed poll results posts. Can anyone else tell me if this is
        > possible?

        In my experience with Yahoo, you have to delete the entire poll.

        The poll bot isn't very feature rich...

        Shane

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "hammockcamping

        _____

      • Fuzzy
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
          > Yeah, that's what I found too Shane. Do people on other lists you
          monitor
          > want the Poll posts deleted to protect the email addresses?.....Ed

          Ed,

          I'm not Shane, but I have an answer for you: when creating the poll,
          there is an option of whether to display the email addresses with each
          vote or not. If it is set up from the beginning with 'do not display',
          I think that would be all that is needed.

          Fuzzy
          (lurking)
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
            Great, Thanks Fuzzy. But since any member can issue a poll, it will be up
            to them to choose to display or not to display the email addresses of the
            voters. I could set it up so only the moderators can issue a poll, but that
            kind of defeats the usefulness of our List-so I'll leave it up to each
            member who issues a poll...Ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Editor, Hammock Camping News

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            _____

            > Yeah, that's what I found too Shane. Do people on other lists you
            monitor
            > want the Poll posts deleted to protect the email addresses?.....Ed

            Ed,

            I'm not Shane, but I have an answer for you: when creating the poll,
            there is an option of whether to display the email addresses with each
            vote or not. If it is set up from the beginning with 'do not display',
            I think that would be all that is needed.

            Fuzzy
            (lurking)

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "hammockcamping

            _____

          • André Corterier
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
              (not a solution, that would seem to be Fuzzy's idea, unless displaying
              the other email addresses is preferred)

              Ed, you could copy and paste the poll result into a new post of your
              own which you entitle "hammock V house poll". You could then delete
              Rosaleen's (and possibly other's) email address, post the edited
              result and delete the earlier, unedited post.

              This would keep the result for the archives, yet satisfy Rosaleen's
              (understandable) concern regarding spam bots.

              André

              P.S.: Come to think of it, should you go this route, please also
              delete my address (I was surprised to see it show up - no reason to
              make work easier for spam bots). Thanks.
            • dlfrost_1
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...>
                wrote:
                > I'm not Shane, but I have an answer for you: when creating the
                poll,
                > there is an option of whether to display the email addresses with
                each
                > vote or not. If it is set up from the beginning with 'do not
                display',
                > I think that would be all that is needed.

                If memory serves each individual can go into the My Account area and
                block the publication of their email addresss as well (in both
                messages and polls). It's better to put your addy in a sig line
                anyway.

                (freebie for the bots)
                dlfrost@... ;-)
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2005
                  Now that sounds like a workable solution---thanks Andre. Will try it
                  tomorrow….Ed

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
                    Please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

                    As far as I know, on the group website, the e-mail addresses are
                    shown only up to and including the @ sign, like zippydooda@, which
                    supposedly protects them from the bots. Is this what other web-
                    viewing non-moderators see?

                    And, for people receiving posts by e-mail, your e-mail address is
                    included in every post that you make. So, people who receive e-mails
                    already know Rosaleen's address, and everyone else's. Right?

                    So I don't think that the poll results are revealing any secrets. At
                    least not to me...

                    Bill in Houston

                    > Great, Thanks Fuzzy. But since any member can issue a poll, it
                    will be up
                    > to them to choose to display or not to display the email addresses
                    of the
                    > voters. I could set it up so only the moderators can issue a poll,
                    but that
                    > kind of defeats the usefulness of our List-so I'll leave it up to
                    each
                    > member who issues a poll...Ed
                    >

                    > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
                    >
                    > Editor, Hammock Camping News
                    >
                    > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
                      > So I don't think that the poll results are revealing any secrets. At
                      > least not to me...
                      >
                      > Bill in Houston

                      I looked and had her complete address including the @...
                      And I have Bill's also.