Jeep Hammock!

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 40 , Jul 4, 2005
      > So I went to Big Sur for the first time yesterday. BIG TREES to tie
      > my hammock to...now I know why folks out west need larger tree huggers!
      >
      > I bought a Los Padres NF trail guide and waterproof topo. I figure
      > with my school schedule, I can make a few 3-day trips during the
      > quarter if I bring one of my books to read. They'd have to be Friday
      > morning to Sunday evening. Anyone have any favorite hikes in the area
      > for me to check out? Anyone in this area want a hiking partner?
      >
      > Also, I rigged my hammock up INSIDE my Wrangler a few days ago. It's
      > tight, but I could sleep there. I put one end over the sport bar
      > right next to the windshield on the passenger side, and the other end
      > in the back corner of the driver's side on the roll bar. With the
      > back seat removed and the passenger seat leaned forward, I have just
      > enough room to be comfortable. I wish I had another foot or
      > so...maybe the Wrangler Unlimited will have just enough room. But
      > it'll be great for quick trips to the beach over my lunch break, with
      > the roof down and the doors off...
      >
      > I'll get pics sometime soon.
      >

      > We gotta see pics of this, probly the most unusual hang I've heard of yet.

      Ralph
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 5, 2005
        > So I went to Big Sur for the first time yesterday. BIG TREES to
        tie
        > my hammock to...now I know why folks out west need larger tree
        huggers!

        Doesn't hurt to have em out east either. I carry extra straps along
        with the HH because sometimes the spot you'd really like to use
        requires the extra rigging. Normally though it's better to avoid
        larger trees because of deadfall risks.

        When my brother and I went to Big South Fork a few weeks back, the
        only hammock spot I could find down by the river had an 4ft. dia.
        windthrown tree near a smaller one. All the other options were
        crawling with poison ivy. So I tied the two straps together and
        wrapped em around the prostrate tree as many times as I could, tying
        off back to the line. The other side had the usual HH strap. It
        worked. Without the extra strapping I would have been forced to go
        partway up the bluff face to find something useable.

        Yea, let's see that car hammock of yours. :-)

        Doug Frost