1st night in a hammock (with beefed up HH underpad)

  • bedeutung
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4 5:25 PM
      Hi all,

      Well, I had my very first night outdoors in a hammock - in my HH
      ultralight backpacker - over the weekend. Here's what I learned.

      First the good news: I was snug as a bug in a rug! The thicker (looks
      to be about 1cm) HH underpad kept me warm - almost too warm at first.
      I slept with a modified Blue Kazoo (the hood taken off and about 1/4 -
      1/3 of the total down taken out from the underside, effectively making
      it a "top bag"). I had a mylar reflective emergency blanket on top of
      the underpad and was also wearing thin thermal underwear. It didn't
      get as cold as I would have liked, though, despite being only a couple
      of hundred metres lower than some late lying snow. I camped at the
      side of a sub-alpine lake at about 1150m and it dropped to about 8C
      (46F). I'm pretty confident that this combination ought to have me
      comfortably down to around freezing, perhaps a tad lower. Of course,
      mileage may vary. I've not tried the thinner underpad, so can't really
      compare. I was pleased to see that no condensation developed on the
      mylar reflective blanket, and only a little on the underpad around the
      edges where the mylar had slipped off, despite considerable
      condensation on the fly.

      The not so good news - well, not so much news as something that I
      learned. It's definately not that easy finding a decent pair of trees
      in the sub-alpine. (Or else I was just unlucky.) Few trees (they were
      all pines) were the right distance apart, and those that were the
      right distance apart were often either aligned along a precipice or
      had smaller trees between them where the hammock would lie. I ended up
      having to use a couple of trees on a precipice almost directly over a
      rushing creek. It was a *noisy* night. Also, being on a precipice, I
      couldn't peg out one side properly. Sleeping was less than ideal as I
      couldn't utilise the diagonal as well as I'd have liked. Getting in
      and out (as well as setting up) was a delicate business.

      Still, it's all experience. I might take some extra rope in the future
      to increase my set-up options.

      Happy hanging!

      MG