Re: [Hammock Camping] Permethrin- was Hammock Camping] Mosquito protection (bag

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 40 , Jul 2 5:29 PM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@y...> wrote:
      > Using the pesticide illegally? Just how illegally? Is this like
      > tearing the tag off the mattress illegally? Or overthrowing the
      > government illegally?

      Yeah...that's what I was thinking. Unless you cause damage to
      something that's not yours, like killing all of the fish in someone
      else's lake (or a public one), nobody will care that you "broke the
      law."

      I wonder if some of it is to protect people from idiots making bombs
      and stuff. A simple reaction from household chemicals (hydrochloric
      acid, sold as muratic acid from Home Depot, and aluminum foil in a
      gatorade bottle) can create an "explosion" of sorts.

      McVeigh made his bomb from fertilizer and fuel oil. THAT's what laws
      like this may be designed to prevent, though I'm not sure how
      permethrin reacts with which chemicals. Just a thought.
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 5 5:39 PM
        > So I went to Big Sur for the first time yesterday. BIG TREES to
        tie
        > my hammock to...now I know why folks out west need larger tree
        huggers!

        Doesn't hurt to have em out east either. I carry extra straps along
        with the HH because sometimes the spot you'd really like to use
        requires the extra rigging. Normally though it's better to avoid
        larger trees because of deadfall risks.

        When my brother and I went to Big South Fork a few weeks back, the
        only hammock spot I could find down by the river had an 4ft. dia.
        windthrown tree near a smaller one. All the other options were
        crawling with poison ivy. So I tied the two straps together and
        wrapped em around the prostrate tree as many times as I could, tying
        off back to the line. The other side had the usual HH strap. It
        worked. Without the extra strapping I would have been forced to go
        partway up the bluff face to find something useable.

        Yea, let's see that car hammock of yours. :-)

        Doug Frost