Re: [Hammock Camping] Permethrin- was Hammock Camping] Mosquito protection (bag

  • B.M. Dyleski
    Message 1 of 40 , Jul 2, 2005
      One more thought on the topic. My reason for bringing up the legal thing was to get people to think and get views which was what occured.
      Some things to think about: Yes the laws are there to protect the environment and people. These laws were put in place when chemicals were discoverd tokill fish , nearly cause several species of birds to become extinct, and cause serious health problems for those that worked in fields harvesting crops.
      If you are using a comercial pesticide requiring an applicators license to buy, where did you get it? If a friend bought it for you or gave you some , they violated federal law, they could loose license pay fine and do jail time.
      What did you do with the leftover chemical after you treated clothing or whatever. Dump it down the drain? Pour it out in the backyard? you just violated federal law.
      You may get away with all of this rather easily unless it causes a problem and people going looking for the cause.
      Believe it or not a good treatment plant operator may pick up the chemical in the waste water and wonder where it came from.
      It is a gainst the law because it is just not a smart thing to do and what for? Who really needs that level of protection? It sounds like you are doing battle with the world around you. I have never needed that kind of bug protection. I assume we all are at this sight because we have a love of natural beauty and wilderness. We all must use part of our lives to take resposibility for protecting these places and limiting our impact on it. Living the lowest impact lives we can is not a bad thing. Best to all BMD

      Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
      If it causes damage, the damage would be found to be the user's fault.
      The main reason this is on packages is to avoid poisoning a stream and
      killing all the fish and that sort of thing.

      I would not publicly recommend off label use, but I must admit to
      off-label use for my own hiking gear in the past. The agricultural
      material leaves a smell on the material, but I do not know if this is
      from the permethrin or from the solvent.

      Rick

      seuss910 wrote:

      > Using the pesticide illegally? Just how illegally? Is this like
      > tearing the tag off the mattress illegally? Or overthrowing the
      > government illegally?
      >
      > -s
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "B.M. Dyleski"
      > <americassouthsea@y...> wrote:
      > > If you are using an ag formula on clothing, that use would have to
      > be listed on the label, if not you are using the pesticide illegally. BMD

    • dlfrost_1
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 5, 2005
        > So I went to Big Sur for the first time yesterday. BIG TREES to
        tie
        > my hammock to...now I know why folks out west need larger tree
        huggers!

        Doesn't hurt to have em out east either. I carry extra straps along
        with the HH because sometimes the spot you'd really like to use
        requires the extra rigging. Normally though it's better to avoid
        larger trees because of deadfall risks.

        When my brother and I went to Big South Fork a few weeks back, the
        only hammock spot I could find down by the river had an 4ft. dia.
        windthrown tree near a smaller one. All the other options were
        crawling with poison ivy. So I tied the two straps together and
        wrapped em around the prostrate tree as many times as I could, tying
        off back to the line. The other side had the usual HH strap. It
        worked. Without the extra strapping I would have been forced to go
        partway up the bluff face to find something useable.

        Yea, let's see that car hammock of yours. :-)

        Doug Frost