Re: Tarp/Fly Opinions

  • Tripp Clark
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
      Thanks Chet, that is one I was not familiar with but it does look
      nice. My experience has been limited to the stock HH tarp and Ed
      Speer's 8x10 tarp. Of those, I much prefer the 8x10 tarp.
      Sometimes, especially when bad weather is not expected, I still use
      the HH tarp, but usually I use the 8x10 tarp with both my Speer and
      Hennessy hammocks. I just like the greater coverage. One criticism
      I have with both is the flapping problem in high wind. On at least
      three outings this has been a problem. At best this is noisy and
      makes sleep difficult, and at worst, it can cause stakes to rip out
      of the ground . . . and in one case I even had a tab to rip out of
      the corner of the tarp (in spite of excellent workmanship on the
      tarp). Because of this, the cat-cut tarps, like the one you prefer
      and the McCat are intriguing, but I understand that there is a trade-
      off in that cat-cut tarps are not as versatile for alternative
      pitching as flat tarps. I suspect that the other alternatives in
      the poll -- such as the JRB and the Hex fly, while offering greater
      coverage than the stock HH fly, would still be subject to the
      flapping problems since they are, I think, flat tarps.

      Tripp

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chetclock" <cclocksin@b...>
      wrote:
      > Tripp, I have used several tarps, including standard HH fly, Home
      made
      > ala Ed Speer in both 8 x 10, and 9 x 11 sizes, equinox sil-nylon
      8x10,
      > a home made sil-nylon poncho tarp, and my latest, a Granite Gear
      White
      > Lightnin'. My all around favorite is the GG White Lightnin' for a
      > couple reasons. Number one reason is that it pitches drum tight
      thanks
      > to the reinforced ridgeline and catenary cut sides, along with a
      > unique adjustment system for the guyouts and ridge. Second reason
      is
      > that it is so well made, reinforced around the perimeter and along
      the
      > ridgeline with webbing, and third, the adjustment system makes it
      > super easy to center over my hammock. You give up a little coverage
      > due to the cat cut sides, but at 8 x 10, it is still plenty. If I
      know
      > I'll be in really bad weather, I'll take my home made 9 x 11,
      which is
      > made out of urethane coated nylon, a little heavier than the
      > sil-nylon, but it is heavy duty, and I made it with lots of pull
      tabs
      > so I can pitch it in a variety of ways to make a truly storm proof
      > setup. There is a picture posted in my folder on the photo page.
      If am