Re: Tarp/Fly Opinions

  • chetclock
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
      Tripp, I have used several tarps, including standard HH fly, Home made
      ala Ed Speer in both 8 x 10, and 9 x 11 sizes, equinox sil-nylon 8x10,
      a home made sil-nylon poncho tarp, and my latest, a Granite Gear White
      Lightnin'. My all around favorite is the GG White Lightnin' for a
      couple reasons. Number one reason is that it pitches drum tight thanks
      to the reinforced ridgeline and catenary cut sides, along with a
      unique adjustment system for the guyouts and ridge. Second reason is
      that it is so well made, reinforced around the perimeter and along the
      ridgeline with webbing, and third, the adjustment system makes it
      super easy to center over my hammock. You give up a little coverage
      due to the cat cut sides, but at 8 x 10, it is still plenty. If I know
      I'll be in really bad weather, I'll take my home made 9 x 11, which is
      made out of urethane coated nylon, a little heavier than the
      sil-nylon, but it is heavy duty, and I made it with lots of pull tabs
      so I can pitch it in a variety of ways to make a truly storm proof
      setup. There is a picture posted in my folder on the photo page. If am
      expecting fair weather, I'll just take my home made poncho tarp, which
      provides adequate protection from rain as long as the wind isn't real
      strong, and it serves as my tarp, raingear, and pack cover. So, like
      hammocks, I guess you can't have too many tarps!

      Chet

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tripp Clark"
      <trippclark@m...> wrote:
      > Interesting . . . with just a day remaining in this poll to
      > determine the most favored commercially available tarp for hammock
      > camping there is no clear favorite out there. With five choices,
      > the top 2 have just 28% each . . . far from a resounding lead.
      > Moreover, with just 21 responses to the poll, from such a large
      > membership on this list, it looks like I am not the only one who is
      > not sure which is the best option out there. Too bad I can't try
      > them all out!
      >
      > Tripp
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tripp Clark"
      > <trippclark@m...>
      > wrote:
      > > Listers,
      > >
      > > I just posted a poll and hope to gather some opinions. I have,
      > use,
      > > and love both a Speer Hammock and tarp and a Hennessy Hammock
      with
      > > their stock tarp. In most situations, of the two, I prefer the
      > larger
      > > Speer Tarp. I am intrigued by some of the other options out
      > there,
      > > and wish that my bank account could handle one of each! I am
      > curious
      > > to learn what some of y'all think is the best overall choice, all
      > > things considered.
      > >
      > > Tripp
    • Tripp Clark
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
        Thanks Chet, that is one I was not familiar with but it does look
        nice. My experience has been limited to the stock HH tarp and Ed
        Speer's 8x10 tarp. Of those, I much prefer the 8x10 tarp.
        Sometimes, especially when bad weather is not expected, I still use
        the HH tarp, but usually I use the 8x10 tarp with both my Speer and
        Hennessy hammocks. I just like the greater coverage. One criticism
        I have with both is the flapping problem in high wind. On at least
        three outings this has been a problem. At best this is noisy and
        makes sleep difficult, and at worst, it can cause stakes to rip out
        of the ground . . . and in one case I even had a tab to rip out of
        the corner of the tarp (in spite of excellent workmanship on the
        tarp). Because of this, the cat-cut tarps, like the one you prefer
        and the McCat are intriguing, but I understand that there is a trade-
        off in that cat-cut tarps are not as versatile for alternative
        pitching as flat tarps. I suspect that the other alternatives in
        the poll -- such as the JRB and the Hex fly, while offering greater
        coverage than the stock HH fly, would still be subject to the
        flapping problems since they are, I think, flat tarps.

        Tripp

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chetclock" <cclocksin@b...>