Re: [Hammock Camping] Permethrin- was Hammock Camping] Mosquito protection (bag

  • Marty
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 29, 2005
      Greetings

      I just wanted to voice a few concerns with Permethrin. in the
      military we issue it in a spray for treating uniforms before
      deploying to the desert. the instructions are to spray it on your
      cloths and wait for it to dry 24 hours, before you put them on. this
      stuff is no joke. when i lived in N.J. i had a ton of spiders that
      kept building webs around my door and nothing from the store would
      stop them. i sprayed this stuff on the door frame and they never
      came back!!! i know DEET eats plastic, but i am not sure about
      Permethrin. i would be very carefull around a nylon hammock.

      P.S. i would make sure you NEVER spray this stuff directly on to
      your skin. this stuff is bad mojo when it is still wet.

      Good luck
      Marty

      > If it causes damage, the damage would be found to be the user's
      fault.
      > The main reason this is on packages is to avoid poisoning a stream
      and
      > killing all the fish and that sort of thing.
      >
      > I would not publicly recommend off label use, but I must admit to
      > off-label use for my own hiking gear in the past. The agricultural
      > material leaves a smell on the material, but I do not know if this
      is
      > from the permethrin or from the solvent.
      >
      > Rick
      >

      > seuss910 wrote:
      >
      > > Using the pesticide illegally? Just how illegally? Is this like
      > > tearing the tag off the mattress illegally? Or overthrowing the
      > > government illegally?
      > >
      > > -s
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "B.M. Dyleski"
      > > <americassouthsea@y...> wrote:
      > > > If you are using an ag formula on clothing, that use would
      have to
      > > be listed on the label, if not you are using the pesticide
      illegally. BMD

      subject=Unsubscribe>

      of

    • dlfrost_1
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 5, 2005
        > So I went to Big Sur for the first time yesterday. BIG TREES to
        tie
        > my hammock to...now I know why folks out west need larger tree
        huggers!

        Doesn't hurt to have em out east either. I carry extra straps along
        with the HH because sometimes the spot you'd really like to use
        requires the extra rigging. Normally though it's better to avoid
        larger trees because of deadfall risks.

        When my brother and I went to Big South Fork a few weeks back, the
        only hammock spot I could find down by the river had an 4ft. dia.
        windthrown tree near a smaller one. All the other options were
        crawling with poison ivy. So I tied the two straps together and
        wrapped em around the prostrate tree as many times as I could, tying
        off back to the line. The other side had the usual HH strap. It
        worked. Without the extra strapping I would have been forced to go
        partway up the bluff face to find something useable.

        Yea, let's see that car hammock of yours. :-)

        Doug Frost