Re: Tarp/Fly Opinions

  • Doug Meredith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
      This isn't in the poll, but looks very interesting. Anyone try one?

      http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Spinn-Twinn.html

      Doug
      --
      Doug Meredith (doug.meredith@...)
      SystemGuard - Oracle remote support
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
        Tripp, I have used several tarps, including standard HH fly, Home made
        ala Ed Speer in both 8 x 10, and 9 x 11 sizes, equinox sil-nylon 8x10,
        a home made sil-nylon poncho tarp, and my latest, a Granite Gear White
        Lightnin'. My all around favorite is the GG White Lightnin' for a
        couple reasons. Number one reason is that it pitches drum tight thanks
        to the reinforced ridgeline and catenary cut sides, along with a
        unique adjustment system for the guyouts and ridge. Second reason is
        that it is so well made, reinforced around the perimeter and along the
        ridgeline with webbing, and third, the adjustment system makes it
        super easy to center over my hammock. You give up a little coverage
        due to the cat cut sides, but at 8 x 10, it is still plenty. If I know
        I'll be in really bad weather, I'll take my home made 9 x 11, which is
        made out of urethane coated nylon, a little heavier than the
        sil-nylon, but it is heavy duty, and I made it with lots of pull tabs
        so I can pitch it in a variety of ways to make a truly storm proof
        setup. There is a picture posted in my folder on the photo page. If am
        expecting fair weather, I'll just take my home made poncho tarp, which
        provides adequate protection from rain as long as the wind isn't real
        strong, and it serves as my tarp, raingear, and pack cover. So, like
        hammocks, I guess you can't have too many tarps!

        Chet

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tripp Clark"
        <trippclark@m...> wrote:
        > Interesting . . . with just a day remaining in this poll to
        > determine the most favored commercially available tarp for hammock
        > camping there is no clear favorite out there. With five choices,
        > the top 2 have just 28% each . . . far from a resounding lead.
        > Moreover, with just 21 responses to the poll, from such a large
        > membership on this list, it looks like I am not the only one who is
        > not sure which is the best option out there. Too bad I can't try
        > them all out!
        >
        > Tripp
        >

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tripp Clark"
        > <trippclark@m...>
        > wrote:
        > > Listers,
        > >
        > > I just posted a poll and hope to gather some opinions. I have,
        > use,
        > > and love both a Speer Hammock and tarp and a Hennessy Hammock
        with
        > > their stock tarp. In most situations, of the two, I prefer the
        > larger
        > > Speer Tarp. I am intrigued by some of the other options out
        > there,
        > > and wish that my bank account could handle one of each! I am
        > curious
        > > to learn what some of y'all think is the best overall choice, all
        > > things considered.
        > >
        > > Tripp
      • Tripp Clark
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
          Thanks Chet, that is one I was not familiar with but it does look
          nice. My experience has been limited to the stock HH tarp and Ed
          Speer's 8x10 tarp. Of those, I much prefer the 8x10 tarp.
          Sometimes, especially when bad weather is not expected, I still use
          the HH tarp, but usually I use the 8x10 tarp with both my Speer and
          Hennessy hammocks. I just like the greater coverage. One criticism
          I have with both is the flapping problem in high wind. On at least
          three outings this has been a problem. At best this is noisy and
          makes sleep difficult, and at worst, it can cause stakes to rip out
          of the ground . . . and in one case I even had a tab to rip out of
          the corner of the tarp (in spite of excellent workmanship on the
          tarp). Because of this, the cat-cut tarps, like the one you prefer
          and the McCat are intriguing, but I understand that there is a trade-
          off in that cat-cut tarps are not as versatile for alternative
          pitching as flat tarps. I suspect that the other alternatives in
          the poll -- such as the JRB and the Hex fly, while offering greater
          coverage than the stock HH fly, would still be subject to the
          flapping problems since they are, I think, flat tarps.

          Tripp

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chetclock" <cclocksin@b...>