Re: Permethrin- was Hammock Camping] Mosquito protection

  • zippydooda
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 29, 2005
      This one is really weird for me. The same/similar product is sold
      with a different label for use on clothing, but this one
      says "immediately wash all residue off clothing" or some such.

      And this warning is not so much a product liability warning like
      "danger - toaster will get hot"
      or "danger - scissors are sharp"
      but rather a federal law barring the use of the product in a manner
      not allowed by the label. An actual federal law, not just some
      threat by the manufacturer.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, <tjarrell@c...> wrote:
      > "Illegal to use for other than the intended purpose."
      >
      > I'm not a legal expert of any kind, but there is a contract implied
      between consumer and user. This 'law' we have been chatting about is
      part of limiting the manufacturers legal liability by defining how to
      use thier product.

      > This is a blanket warning. First, as a user you cannot sue the
      company if you get hurt using their product in a manner that they did
      not design it for. An example may be if you use a lawn insecticide
      inside your house and your pets get sick. That would be an
      unauthorized use.

      > The second example would be for inappropriate use that hazards
      yourself. Spraying cooking spray into a bag and then huffing to get
      high also falls into the area of unintended use. This 'law' then can
      be applied since they cannot list everything that you are not allowed
      to do to yourself.

      > Where do I send my .02? :)
      >
      > Tom "sea lawyer"
      > From: "seuss910" <wrv77@y...>
      > Date: 2005/06/29 Wed AM 10:35:19 EDT
      > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Permethrin- was Hammock Camping]
      Mosquito protection (bag

    • dlfrost_1
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 5, 2005
        > So I went to Big Sur for the first time yesterday. BIG TREES to
        tie
        > my hammock to...now I know why folks out west need larger tree
        huggers!

        Doesn't hurt to have em out east either. I carry extra straps along
        with the HH because sometimes the spot you'd really like to use
        requires the extra rigging. Normally though it's better to avoid
        larger trees because of deadfall risks.

        When my brother and I went to Big South Fork a few weeks back, the
        only hammock spot I could find down by the river had an 4ft. dia.
        windthrown tree near a smaller one. All the other options were
        crawling with poison ivy. So I tied the two straps together and
        wrapped em around the prostrate tree as many times as I could, tying
        off back to the line. The other side had the usual HH strap. It
        worked. Without the extra strapping I would have been forced to go
        partway up the bluff face to find something useable.

        Yea, let's see that car hammock of yours. :-)

        Doug Frost