[Hammock Camping] Re: HH under pads are now beefed up

  • bedeutung
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm not sure when you guys got your samples but my impression is that
      this was a recent change. Apparently, I was the first to notice that
      weight was not as advertised (it was a recent enough change that Ann
      Hennessy had to check with Tom to find out about it). They haven't yet
      changed the packaging, tags, or their website to reflect this. For
      that matter, nor could I find mention of hip pads, etc. It would, of
      course, be useful if they could keep their website slightly more up to
      date (Ann mentioned that Tom was hoping to add some stuff about this
      soon).

      It's also my general impression that the way things were panning out
      in the aborted BGT test, some testers were wanting a bit more warmth
      than the 6mm pads were giving. Ann Hennessy tells me that "testers"
      have been pleased with the extra warmth. So *perhaps* they are
      thinking of going for a thicker pad overall rather than (or in
      addition to?) additional hip-pads, etc.?

      I only got the pad a couple of weeks ago (and my first hammock only a
      week before that) and I've yet to sleep out in it, so can't offer a
      comparison. At least, not yet - Ann is sending me one of the lighter
      ones as well - gratis. As best I can tell this is just for noticing
      that the pads were heavier. What nice people!

      A very brief test (practicing setting up - me being a newbie) with
      reflective mylar one damp evening suggested that it would be quite
      *toasty* :) . But I'm planning to test it out this weekend. Around
      here (Western Canada) it can still get down to close to freezing up in
      the hills on some nights, so I'll let y'all know.

      MG

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Banjo Doje <bpskids@g...> wrote:
      > I wonder why we didn't get the "updated" pads - course, I guess if
      > those of us testing their models got stuff every time they
      > fixed/improved something, we'd NEVER get the test completed. I'm
      > hoping that the additional torso and hip pad will help you in that
      > case, Jamie! Have you had any chilly enough nights to see how much
      > difference it makes for you? I know we haven't had anything close to
      > winter temps but......
      >
      > Jodi
      >
      > On 6/28/05, chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
      > > Oh man,
      > >
      > > I wish I was sent one of these modles to test. I might not have the
      > > chilly buns issue I've had.
      > >
      > > jamie in az
      > >

      > --
      > "If it ain't got a Banjo in it, it ain't Bluegrass!" - Ed Bolton
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 2005
        Hi Jodi,

        I have tried the two new pads with the full length one a couple of
        times already and so far I'm still not having much success below
        about 45 to 50 degrees. I guess it's just me.

        The new thicker one sound promising. They compress so well, thicker
        really wouldn't be much of an issue regarding packing them.

        jamie

        wrote:
        > I wonder why we didn't get the "updated" pads - course, I guess if
        > those of us testing their models got stuff every time they
        > fixed/improved something, we'd NEVER get the test completed. I'm
        > hoping that the additional torso and hip pad will help you in that
        > case, Jamie! Have you had any chilly enough nights to see how much
        > difference it makes for you? I know we haven't had anything close
        > winter temps but......
        >
        > Jodi
        >
        > On 6/28/05, chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
        > > Oh man,
        > >
        > > I wish I was sent one of these modles to test. I might not have
        the
        > > chilly buns issue I've had.
        > >
        > > jamie in az
        > >

        > --
        > "If it ain't got a Banjo in it, it ain't Bluegrass!" - Ed Bolton
      • Banjo Doje
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
          Bummer!!! Maybe it's just cuz I got good body insulation LOL But
          seriously, I do like the cold and I'm hot blooded enough to be about
          to run around outside in short sleeves in 30 degree weather. That
          makes a big difference.

          Jodi

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
            YEs, I'm sure there is something to be said for acclimation. As a
            desert dweller I'm not exposed to temps below 40 F on a regular
            basis.
            I have plenty of body insulation myself though, but I don't it's in
            the right places!!! ahahaha

            jamie

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
              You got a point with being a desert dweller - living in the north
              where we get cold temps all the time (tonite's low, even, is supposed
              to be 44) your body adjusts more quickly than someone who's not used
              to the winters. It took my pastor about 2 years to get
              sorta-kinda-not really used to the cold and he moved here from NC.

              Jodi

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                Low 40's.... I wish. I think we are around upper 80's low 90's for
                our lows. 114 the other day and 108 today, yummy!!!

                jamie d