Re: First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers Trip

  • starnescr
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hi Ed

      Paul, my son and I are hopeing to make it. If it storms severly
      again you can plan a third outing and I'll stay away and see if that
      helps. LOL

      Coy Boy

      > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003
      >
      > The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers (FASHH) trip has been
      > rescheduled for Easter weekend. Everyone welcome--plenty of room
      for
      > hammock hangers or ground sleepers. Join us for a Spring outing
      along
      > the famous Chattooga River on the GA-SC state line. We will hike
      and
      > camp on the SC side. Plan now to attend!
    • geoflyfisher
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
        Sorry guys... No way I can go hiking on Easter Sunday.
        <><

        > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003
        >
        > The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers (FASHH) trip has been
        > rescheduled for Easter weekend. Everyone welcome--plenty of room
        for
        > hammock hangers or ground sleepers. Join us for a Spring outing
        along
        > the famous Chattooga River on the GA-SC state line. We will hike
        and
        > camp on the SC side. Plan now to attend!
        >
        > This is a chance for avid hammock hangers to get together and
        compare
        > notes and share ideas. Show off your latest homemade creation!
        >
        > Our February trip was wiped out due to severe weather--but it
        should
        > be much milder in late April. In fact, it's already turned Spring
        > here with flowers and trees in full bloom. Expect temps from 40's
        > 80's.
        >
        > Hammock Hangers Trip
        > Foothills Trail, SC--Chattooga River Section--Apr 19-20, 2003
        >
        > Hike: 10.4 mi on South Carolina's Foothills Trail. Easy-moderate
        > trail section that follows Chattooga River. Scenic/historic
        mountain
        > river that separates Georgia and South Carolina. Popular rafting
        > river; locale for movie 'Deliverance'. We will hike in about 5 mi
        > and camp Sat night, then hike out Sun. Possible 0.5 mi hike to
        > highest waterfall in eastern US (Whitewater Falls) on Sun (only 10
        mi
        > away).
        >
        > Meet: Trailhead parking lot on Burrells' Ford Road (Forest Service
        > road 708, mostly gravel). Gather at my white Chevy van (NC plates).
        > To reach the parking lot, follow Burrells' Ford Road approx 2.5 mi
        > west of SC 107 (paved). The junction of Burrell's Ford Road and SC
        > 107 is approx 5 mi south of the NC/SC line on SC 107. The trailhead
        > parking area is approx 1/4 mi before (or east of where) Burrell's
        > Ford Road crosses Chattooga River. We will shuttle one or more
        > vehicles to the south trailhead about 6-7 mi south on SC 107.
        Highway
        > 107 junctions with SC 28 about 8 mi north of Walhalla, SC which is
        > about 15 mi north of I-85 and 40 mi west of Greenville, SC.
        >
        > Departure from north trailhead at Burrell's Ford: 11:00 am Sat.
        Hike
        > south (down river) on Foothills Trail
        >
        > Campsite Sat night: Group decision; riverside choices at 5 & 5.5
        > mi. We will camp inside the Chattooga Wild and Scenic River
        Corridor

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
          Message
          Looking forward to meeting all you guys.  Pray for good weather!  ...Ed

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
            Message
            Hopefully, ther'll be more trips in the future--maybe you can make the next one...Ed

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 11, 2003
              > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003

              Ed,

              Won't be able to make this trip. Little Bear and I are going to get
              together and hike the Benton MacKaye Trail next week. I am really
              looking forward to it, the last time I saw Little Bear was in PA when
              we were doing our AT thru-hikes in 2000. BTW, I am leaving my HH at
              home and will try out the two-layer Speer hammock I made. I also
              sewed velcro on the 8 foot ends of my tarp like you suggested.

              Hope I can make your next trip. I think everyone will enjoy that
              section of trail, the folks that haven't been there before are in for
              a treat.

              Youngblood
            • Amy
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 11, 2003
                To make sure I have grasped this information correctly,
                somebody please tell me if I have this right:

                I can hang a space blanket or my poncho under
                my hammock, put air or air and leaves in a couple
                of garbage bags, stuff them in the poncho or
                space blanket, and have a nice warm hammock?

                I already have a system for hanging the space blanket,
                so adding garbage bag's be a snap.

                -amy
              • colonelcorn76
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 12, 2003
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Amy <askowronek@m...> wrote:

                  > To make sure I have grasped this information correctly,
                  > somebody please tell me if I have this right:
                  >
                  > I can hang a space blanket or my poncho under
                  > my hammock, put air or air and leaves in a couple
                  > of garbage bags, stuff them in the poncho or
                  > space blanket, and have a nice warm hammock?
                  >
                  > I already have a system for hanging the space blanket,
                  > so adding garbage bag's be a snap.
                  >
                  > -amy

                  Yep.

                  I also tend to lower my hammock in cold weather as well to limit the
                  amount of space the air can move around under me. In warm weather I
                  pitch it with the fly over my head so I have to stand on tiptoes and
                  kind of hooch backwards to get in (Hennessey). In colder weather
                  (<40) I move the hammock down to "normal" height about 3' off the
                  ground (which puts the fly somewhere around the 5-5 1/2' height.
                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 12, 2003
                    Bummer. I was looking forward to putting a face with the guy who
                    gave me the helpful directions. Like you say maybe next time.
                    Enjoy your hike with Little Bear.

                    Coy Boy

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 13, 2003
                      Message
                      We'll miss ya Youngblood---if you don't come this time, does that mean we won't have any falling trees? LOL

                      I'm sure you'll enjoy your hike on the BMT.  All the best....Ed

                      > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003

                      Ed,

                      Won't be able to make this trip.  Little Bear and I are going to get
                      together and hike the Benton MacKaye Trail next week.  I am really
                      looking forward to it, the last time I saw Little Bear was in PA when
                      we were doing our AT thru-hikes in 2000.  BTW, I am leaving my HH at
                      home and will try out the two-layer Speer hammock I made.  I also
                      sewed velcro on the 8 foot ends of my tarp like you suggested.

                      Hope I can make your next trip.  I think everyone will enjoy that
                      section of trail, the folks that haven't been there before are in for
                      a treat.

                      Youngblood

                    • Ray Garlington
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 13, 2003
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Amy <askowronek@m...> wrote:

                        > To make sure I have grasped this information correctly,
                        > somebody please tell me if I have this right:
                        >
                        > I can hang a space blanket or my poncho under
                        > my hammock, put air or air and leaves in a couple
                        > of garbage bags, stuff them in the poncho or
                        > space blanket, and have a nice warm hammock?
                        >
                        > I already have a system for hanging the space blanket,
                        > so adding garbage bag's be a snap.
                        >
                        > -amy

                        You have the right idea; however, take a look at the "Ray Garlington"
                        folder in the Photos section for this group. There are pictures of
                        the "version 2" shell and the spaceblanket/insulator bag I'm using.
                      • karens62@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 13, 2003
                          In a message dated 4/13/2003 4:07:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, info@... writes:

                          if you don't come this time, does that mean we won't have any falling trees? LOL

                          You don't have to be concerned that you will be bored with the weather conditions.  I am sure I can drum up a nice little blizzard to keep you on your toes!

                          POG
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 13, 2003
                            Message
                            POG, just remember what I told ya!  Since it's snowed both times you've gone hiking in the past 10 days--if it snows the next time you're out, we'll ban ya forever from the AT!  LOL  I'll be watching ya carefully on the Chattooga trip! ...Ed

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 14, 2003
                              Looks like at least 7 hammock hangers will be makeing the Chattooga
                              River trip! Some coming from as far away as KY! The weather looks
                              good--hopefully the freak snow storms of late are over. In fact,
                              Spring has returned big time with hi's of 80 today! There's still
                              some snow above 5,000', but it's melting fast. We will be hiking and
                              camping below 2,500'. Expect Spring wildflowers and leafing trees.
                              Anyone planning to come can just show up at the trailhead or meet us
                              at the campsite Sat pm--if you let me know you're coming, we'll keep
                              a watch out for you...Ed

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 17, 2003
                                > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003
                                >
                                > The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers (FASHH) trip has been
                                > rescheduled for Easter weekend. Everyone welcome--plenty of room
                                for
                                > hammock hangers or ground sleepers. Join us for a Spring outing
                                along
                                > the famous Chattooga River on the GA-SC state line. We will hike
                                and
                                > camp on the SC side. Plan now to attend!
                                >
                                > This is a chance for avid hammock hangers to get together and
                                compare
                                > notes and share ideas. Show off your latest homemade creation!

                                The weather forecast for our hike is promissing:

                                Fri Am showers; 73/54F
                                Sat Partly cloudy 71/58F
                                Sun Scattered T-storms 75/57F

                                At least it will be very warm! An isolated T-storm on our way out on
                                Sun AM would only add to the adventure without adding much problem.
                                In fact, we may place an escape vehicle close to our Sat nite
                                campsite just to be safe. Everyone welcome...Ed
                              • Coy
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 17, 2003
                                  Hi Ed

                                  Sounds like perfect hammocking weather. A good shower on the hike
                                  out might help refresh everyone for the long ride home.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 18, 2003
                                    Message
                                    Coy Boy--looking at the weather forecast for the area again this am, I find: partly cloudy to cloudy, 10-12% chance of rain, temps of mid 70's to mid 50's

                                    So I suspect you can leave the snow chains at home this time! LOL   ....Ed

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 20, 2003
                                      > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003

                                      The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers Trip (FASHHT) is now
                                      history--hope everyone made it home safe. It was a great weekend
                                      with mild cloudy and warm weather. Seven hammock hangers from AL, KY
                                      & NC converged Sat morning and began the hike. We quickly passed
                                      King's Creek Falls, where a spectacular rain-swollen creek cascaded
                                      over a verticle rock face and a sudden break in the clouds provided
                                      probably the best sunny Kodak moment of the entire trip. Hiking on,
                                      we passed blooming Trillium, Wild Iris, and Dogwood as we made our
                                      way to the Chattooga River. We set up camp a bit short of our
                                      originally planned distance due to Karen's mildly-twisted ankle--a
                                      victum of rain-soaked tree roots! Everyone pitched in and soon our
                                      unscheduled campsite became a cozy riverside home with hammocks
                                      everywhere! Karen recovered over night and hiked out Sun am on her
                                      own (she thanks Coy for the pack assist).

                                      With our hammokcs, we were able to use this tiny established
                                      campsite, although there was level space for only one tent--the
                                      hammocks literally saved the day for us! In addition, we were
                                      satisfied our hammocks did no undue harm to the site.

                                      The shelters consisted of five Speer Hammocks (including a home-made
                                      one), one Hennessey, and one Crazy Creek--the uniqueness and color
                                      variety of our camp certainly created a carnival atmosphere! Everyone
                                      got the chance to show off their specific gear and we learned from
                                      each other. For two hammockers, this was their first night off the
                                      ground. For us old pros, it was a chance to strut our stuff and teach
                                      others the better way.

                                      The relaxed afternoon soon gave way to universal power naps and by
                                      dinner time we gathered around a small camp fire in the midst of the
                                      hammocks. Conversations continued well into the night.

                                      With everyone well rested and Karen boasting "better than any night
                                      I've ever spent on the ground", we packed up and left after breakfast
                                      on Easter Sunday, making it back to the cars by late morning. With
                                      promisses to 'do it again', we parted and began our journeys home.

                                      Some photos of the trip will soon be posted on this site. Thanks to
                                      everyone who made the trip--I enjoyed meeting new friends and
                                      renewing old friendships. Let's hope this is the begining of a new
                                      tradition. Everyone who missed this trip should definately plan to
                                      make the next one! ...Ed