New to the group

  • hundredyearhall
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2005
      Hi, just joined. I recently bought a hammock and camped in it in
      Wisconsin this past weekend. My family hails from the Caribbean, so
      hammocks have been a way of life for us for awhile. Although I always
      brought one along camping or backpacking, I never thought to actually
      use it to replace my tent though. I'm usually not up on the trends
      (still use an external) but I thought I'd give it a try. Did a little
      research and heard alot about Hennessy & Clark hammocks. REI only
      carried Hennessy and Byers, so I went with a Hennessy explorer. The
      knot is tricky, and I'm not sure I had it adjusted right. Any tips on
      those issues would be most appreciated. There was a massive
      thunderstorm that hit the camp this weekend. Everyone in tents had
      some of their gear/sleeping bags soaked. Not only was I dry as a bone
      but the shoes I left under the hammock were too! Great little
      hammock, though I woke up with the opening on the bottom opened and my
      feet all the way up to the foot of the hammock and my head 4 feet from
      the head of the hammock. Must not have got the right sleeping
      position or I moved too much in the night. Anyone from the Chicago
      area? Happy hanging!
    • Banjo Doje
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2005
        Welcome to the fabulous world of hammocking! For a FANTASTIC site for
        the Hennessy knot, I highly recommend Shane Steinkamp's webpage

        http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hknot.htm

        On it, he has step by step instructions along with videos that are
        PERFECT for learning the knot.

        I even use a hammock at home - it's the Amazonas hammock - perfect for
        sleeping in.

        Good luck
        Jodi
        Hennessy Hammock fanatic

        --
        "If it ain't got a Banjo in it, it ain't Bluegrass!" - Ed Bolton
      • Christie
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
          Hi there!

          I'm new to the group. We are also a family that is new to hammock
          camping!

          I am in the process of making everyone their own hammock!

          Hoping to learn some great hints and such from this group!

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2007
              Im just getting started as well (in outdoor camping) but I made 2 hammocks for my boys from the Hammock Camping book by Ed Speer. and they sleep in them every nite at home. This summer we will be moving outside for a few nights.

              http://www.speerhammocks.com/

              I dont work for him or anything, just a great book, seem like nice folks to.

              Art. sahd for Arthur 7 and Jt 4, "I get the top hammock tonight!"