ThinLight Insulation Pads

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2005
      Glen Van Peski, founder of GossamerGear, recently gave me one of his
      ThinLight Insulation Pads to see if I thought they are suitable for
      hammock use. Glen reports that several hammock users have used this
      pad with some success. Although I haven't yet given it the acid
      test, I'm impressed enought with the pad to pass along the following
      info to this group.

      The ThinLight pad comes in 1/8" (2 oz) or 3/8" (5.5 oz) thick
      versions and are 19.25 x 57.5" in size. These pads are for warm to
      cool use only, unless combined with other insulation. Both are
      extremely lightweight closed cell foam suitable for insulation, not
      cushioning. Web page: http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-
      bin/gossamergear/order.html

      While not specifically designed for hammock use, the pads might have
      some suitability for us hangers. The 1/8" pad I have feels too
      fragile for use by itself inside a hammock and the narrow width is
      less than my recommended minimum width of 24". However, the pad can
      easily be used inside a sleeve like my Speer Segmented Pad Extender
      (SPE):
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

      The 3/8" version of the ThinLight pad compares very well with my
      Speer 1/4" CC Sleep Pad and probably also fits well inside the SPE.

      Another possible use of the ThinLight pads might be between a
      hammock and a PeaPod, underquilt, or wind shell. Here the pads
      would add a bit of insulation as well as act as a vapor barrior.

      I will post my field tests over the next few months. If anyone else
      has tried these pads, let us know....Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List
      Author, Hammock Camping book
      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletter
      Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2005
        Dick Matthews just emailed me a couple of photos showing a badly crumpled
        ThinLight pad after a nights' use in a hammock. The pad definitely did not
        hold its shape and was useless for insulation. Dick suggests a sleeve like
        my SPE might prevent the crumpling and allow the pad to work OK. Thanks for
        the photos Dick. Which pad were you using, the 1/8" or the 3/8" one?

        A simple calculation of oz/cu in shows the ThinLight foam to be considerable
        lighter than many other cc foams, so I'm quite interested in finding a way
        to use it.

        If the pads will hold their shape in a sleeve, they might still be useful by
        themselves or when used in combo with another pad to give a desired
        insulation thickness. I will try my 1/8" pad in the SPE tonight...Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

[...]