Re: Needle Holes and fabric

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2003
      In a message dated 4/3/2003 8:30:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com writes:
      Flyfisher-

      Most of us who sew have had an occasion to rip out a seam.  The needle holes can be steamed out by pressing.  This would likely present a bit of a problem with silnylon.  I'll have to try pressing some silnylon between sheets of aluminum foil to see how it acts.  At lest we know that we can plug those holes with thinned silicone sealer, if necessary,

      Rosaleen

        From: "geoflyfisher" <geoflyfisher@...>
      Subject: Needle Holes and fabric

      Good morning to all who are reading the thread on needle holes.
      Rosaleen and I have traded notes under several topic names, this one
      may be more descriptive.

      The underlying fabric in silnylon is ripstop.  But with the silicone
      in it the stuff does not act much like ripstop.  It is really strong
      for its weight.  However, when the edge of silnylon is cut with a
      pair of scissors, it does not fray at all.  AT ALL!

      The holes made by seams I have removed in silnylon look just like
      paper perforations...  just like tyveck.  BTW, the tyveck does look
      like it is pressed fiber, like paper.  It is not woven.  Some tyveck
      (like that used in envelopes) has a tendency to separate in one
      direction, so I presume the fibers in the mat are oriented mostly in
      a direction parallel to those tears.