HH under pads are now beefed up

  • bedeutung
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2005
      Hi All,

      Just bought an HH underpad. Much to my surprise, the underpad weighed
      in at 250g, as opposed to the 166g advertised on the bag or the 137g
      on the tag that comes with it. A couple of emails to Hennessy later
      and it turns out the specs have been considerably beefed up, resulting
      in a heavier (but warmer) underpad (although they haven't changed to
      bags or tags yet to reflect this change). By my estimation, it looks
      like a good 1cm+ of insulation as compared with the previous 6mm.

      All good news from my perspective as I thought the 6mm was a bit thin
      and cool.

      Goober
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27, 2005
        Oh man,

        I wish I was sent one of these modles to test. I might not have the
        chilly buns issue I've had.

        jamie in az

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bedeutung" <bedeutung@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > Just bought an HH underpad. Much to my surprise, the underpad weighed
        > in at 250g, as opposed to the 166g advertised on the bag or the 137g
        > on the tag that comes with it. A couple of emails to Hennessy later
        > and it turns out the specs have been considerably beefed up, resulting
        > in a heavier (but warmer) underpad (although they haven't changed to
        > bags or tags yet to reflect this change). By my estimation, it looks
        > like a good 1cm+ of insulation as compared with the previous 6mm.
        >
        > All good news from my perspective as I thought the 6mm was a bit thin
        > and cool.
        >
        > Goober
      • Banjo Doje
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
          I wonder why we didn't get the "updated" pads - course, I guess if
          those of us testing their models got stuff every time they
          fixed/improved something, we'd NEVER get the test completed. I'm
          hoping that the additional torso and hip pad will help you in that
          case, Jamie! Have you had any chilly enough nights to see how much
          difference it makes for you? I know we haven't had anything close to
          winter temps but......

          Jodi

          --
          "If it ain't got a Banjo in it, it ain't Bluegrass!" - Ed Bolton
        • bedeutung
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
            Hi,

            I'm not sure when you guys got your samples but my impression is that
            this was a recent change. Apparently, I was the first to notice that
            weight was not as advertised (it was a recent enough change that Ann
            Hennessy had to check with Tom to find out about it). They haven't yet
            changed the packaging, tags, or their website to reflect this. For
            that matter, nor could I find mention of hip pads, etc. It would, of
            course, be useful if they could keep their website slightly more up to
            date (Ann mentioned that Tom was hoping to add some stuff about this
            soon).

            It's also my general impression that the way things were panning out
            in the aborted BGT test, some testers were wanting a bit more warmth
            than the 6mm pads were giving. Ann Hennessy tells me that "testers"
            have been pleased with the extra warmth. So *perhaps* they are
            thinking of going for a thicker pad overall rather than (or in
            addition to?) additional hip-pads, etc.?

            I only got the pad a couple of weeks ago (and my first hammock only a
            week before that) and I've yet to sleep out in it, so can't offer a
            comparison. At least, not yet - Ann is sending me one of the lighter
            ones as well - gratis. As best I can tell this is just for noticing
            that the pads were heavier. What nice people!

            A very brief test (practicing setting up - me being a newbie) with
            reflective mylar one damp evening suggested that it would be quite
            *toasty* :) . But I'm planning to test it out this weekend. Around
            here (Western Canada) it can still get down to close to freezing up in
            the hills on some nights, so I'll let y'all know.

            MG

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30, 2005
              Hi Jodi,

              I have tried the two new pads with the full length one a couple of
              times already and so far I'm still not having much success below
              about 45 to 50 degrees. I guess it's just me.

              The new thicker one sound promising. They compress so well, thicker
              really wouldn't be much of an issue regarding packing them.

              jamie

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
                Bummer!!! Maybe it's just cuz I got good body insulation LOL But
                seriously, I do like the cold and I'm hot blooded enough to be about
                to run around outside in short sleeves in 30 degree weather. That
                makes a big difference.

                Jodi

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
                  YEs, I'm sure there is something to be said for acclimation. As a
                  desert dweller I'm not exposed to temps below 40 F on a regular
                  basis.
                  I have plenty of body insulation myself though, but I don't it's in
                  the right places!!! ahahaha

                  jamie

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
                    You got a point with being a desert dweller - living in the north
                    where we get cold temps all the time (tonite's low, even, is supposed
                    to be 44) your body adjusts more quickly than someone who's not used
                    to the winters. It took my pastor about 2 years to get
                    sorta-kinda-not really used to the cold and he moved here from NC.

                    Jodi

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                      Low 40's.... I wish. I think we are around upper 80's low 90's for
                      our lows. 114 the other day and 108 today, yummy!!!

                      jamie d