Re: First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers Trip

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3 6:18 PM
      Sounds WONDERFUL!  Have fun, send pics, think of Sgt. Rock!  (Is he a member?)
      Wish I could make it!

      Rosaleen, in cold, wet New England, with possible snow in the forecast for the third time this week!  At least it isn't sticking to paved surfaces.

        From: "Ed Speer" <info@...>
      Subject: First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers Trip

      Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003

      The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers (FASHH) trip has been
      rescheduled for Easter weekend. Everyone welcome--plenty of room for
      hammock hangers or ground sleepers. Join us for a Spring outing along
      the famous Chattooga River on the GA-SC state line. We will hike and
      camp on the SC side. Plan now to attend!

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3 6:59 PM
        Message
        We'll miss ya Rosaleen. Although it has turned to spring around here, I did get trapped in a 12" snow this weekend at a ski lodge on a 5,000' mtn near Boone, NC.  It all melted quickly as warm temps came back Mon-Wed. Got to love fickle Spring weather!  Stay warm...Ed
        Sounds WONDERFUL!  Have fun, send pics, think of Sgt. Rock!  (Is he a member?)
        Wish I could make it!

        Rosaleen, in cold, wet New England, with possible snow in the forecast for the third time this week!  At least it isn't sticking to paved surfaces.
      • starnescr
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 3 9:56 PM
          Hi Ed

          Paul, my son and I are hopeing to make it. If it storms severly
          again you can plan a third outing and I'll stay away and see if that
          helps. LOL

          Coy Boy

          > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003
          >
          > The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers (FASHH) trip has been
          > rescheduled for Easter weekend. Everyone welcome--plenty of room
          for
          > hammock hangers or ground sleepers. Join us for a Spring outing
          along
          > the famous Chattooga River on the GA-SC state line. We will hike
          and
          > camp on the SC side. Plan now to attend!
        • geoflyfisher
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4 4:33 AM
            Sorry guys... No way I can go hiking on Easter Sunday.
            <><

            > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003
            >
            > The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers (FASHH) trip has been
            > rescheduled for Easter weekend. Everyone welcome--plenty of room
            for
            > hammock hangers or ground sleepers. Join us for a Spring outing
            along
            > the famous Chattooga River on the GA-SC state line. We will hike
            and
            > camp on the SC side. Plan now to attend!
            >
            > This is a chance for avid hammock hangers to get together and
            compare
            > notes and share ideas. Show off your latest homemade creation!
            >
            > Our February trip was wiped out due to severe weather--but it
            should
            > be much milder in late April. In fact, it's already turned Spring
            > here with flowers and trees in full bloom. Expect temps from 40's
            > 80's.
            >
            > Hammock Hangers Trip
            > Foothills Trail, SC--Chattooga River Section--Apr 19-20, 2003
            >
            > Hike: 10.4 mi on South Carolina's Foothills Trail. Easy-moderate
            > trail section that follows Chattooga River. Scenic/historic
            mountain
            > river that separates Georgia and South Carolina. Popular rafting
            > river; locale for movie 'Deliverance'. We will hike in about 5 mi
            > and camp Sat night, then hike out Sun. Possible 0.5 mi hike to
            > highest waterfall in eastern US (Whitewater Falls) on Sun (only 10
            mi
            > away).
            >
            > Meet: Trailhead parking lot on Burrells' Ford Road (Forest Service
            > road 708, mostly gravel). Gather at my white Chevy van (NC plates).
            > To reach the parking lot, follow Burrells' Ford Road approx 2.5 mi
            > west of SC 107 (paved). The junction of Burrell's Ford Road and SC
            > 107 is approx 5 mi south of the NC/SC line on SC 107. The trailhead
            > parking area is approx 1/4 mi before (or east of where) Burrell's
            > Ford Road crosses Chattooga River. We will shuttle one or more
            > vehicles to the south trailhead about 6-7 mi south on SC 107.
            Highway
            > 107 junctions with SC 28 about 8 mi north of Walhalla, SC which is
            > about 15 mi north of I-85 and 40 mi west of Greenville, SC.
            >
            > Departure from north trailhead at Burrell's Ford: 11:00 am Sat.
            Hike
            > south (down river) on Foothills Trail
            >
            > Campsite Sat night: Group decision; riverside choices at 5 & 5.5
            > mi. We will camp inside the Chattooga Wild and Scenic River
            Corridor

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4 6:22 AM
              Message
              Looking forward to meeting all you guys.  Pray for good weather!  ...Ed

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 4 6:26 AM
                Message
                Hopefully, ther'll be more trips in the future--maybe you can make the next one...Ed

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 11 8:08 PM
                  > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003

                  Ed,

                  Won't be able to make this trip. Little Bear and I are going to get
                  together and hike the Benton MacKaye Trail next week. I am really
                  looking forward to it, the last time I saw Little Bear was in PA when
                  we were doing our AT thru-hikes in 2000. BTW, I am leaving my HH at
                  home and will try out the two-layer Speer hammock I made. I also
                  sewed velcro on the 8 foot ends of my tarp like you suggested.

                  Hope I can make your next trip. I think everyone will enjoy that
                  section of trail, the folks that haven't been there before are in for
                  a treat.

                  Youngblood
                • Amy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 11 8:23 PM
                    To make sure I have grasped this information correctly,
                    somebody please tell me if I have this right:

                    I can hang a space blanket or my poncho under
                    my hammock, put air or air and leaves in a couple
                    of garbage bags, stuff them in the poncho or
                    space blanket, and have a nice warm hammock?

                    I already have a system for hanging the space blanket,
                    so adding garbage bag's be a snap.

                    -amy
                  • colonelcorn76
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 12 2:01 PM
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Amy <askowronek@m...> wrote:

                      > To make sure I have grasped this information correctly,
                      > somebody please tell me if I have this right:
                      >
                      > I can hang a space blanket or my poncho under
                      > my hammock, put air or air and leaves in a couple
                      > of garbage bags, stuff them in the poncho or
                      > space blanket, and have a nice warm hammock?
                      >
                      > I already have a system for hanging the space blanket,
                      > so adding garbage bag's be a snap.
                      >
                      > -amy

                      Yep.

                      I also tend to lower my hammock in cold weather as well to limit the
                      amount of space the air can move around under me. In warm weather I
                      pitch it with the fly over my head so I have to stand on tiptoes and
                      kind of hooch backwards to get in (Hennessey). In colder weather
                      (<40) I move the hammock down to "normal" height about 3' off the
                      ground (which puts the fly somewhere around the 5-5 1/2' height.
                    • Coy
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 12 5:52 PM
                        Bummer. I was looking forward to putting a face with the guy who
                        gave me the helpful directions. Like you say maybe next time.
                        Enjoy your hike with Little Bear.

                        Coy Boy

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 13 1:11 PM
                          Message
                          We'll miss ya Youngblood---if you don't come this time, does that mean we won't have any falling trees? LOL

                          I'm sure you'll enjoy your hike on the BMT.  All the best....Ed

                          > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003

                          Ed,

                          Won't be able to make this trip.  Little Bear and I are going to get
                          together and hike the Benton MacKaye Trail next week.  I am really
                          looking forward to it, the last time I saw Little Bear was in PA when
                          we were doing our AT thru-hikes in 2000.  BTW, I am leaving my HH at
                          home and will try out the two-layer Speer hammock I made.  I also
                          sewed velcro on the 8 foot ends of my tarp like you suggested.

                          Hope I can make your next trip.  I think everyone will enjoy that
                          section of trail, the folks that haven't been there before are in for
                          a treat.

                          Youngblood

                        • Ray Garlington
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 13 1:25 PM
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Amy <askowronek@m...> wrote:

                            > To make sure I have grasped this information correctly,
                            > somebody please tell me if I have this right:
                            >
                            > I can hang a space blanket or my poncho under
                            > my hammock, put air or air and leaves in a couple
                            > of garbage bags, stuff them in the poncho or
                            > space blanket, and have a nice warm hammock?
                            >
                            > I already have a system for hanging the space blanket,
                            > so adding garbage bag's be a snap.
                            >
                            > -amy

                            You have the right idea; however, take a look at the "Ray Garlington"
                            folder in the Photos section for this group. There are pictures of
                            the "version 2" shell and the spaceblanket/insulator bag I'm using.
                          • karens62@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 13 1:59 PM
                              In a message dated 4/13/2003 4:07:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, info@... writes:

                              if you don't come this time, does that mean we won't have any falling trees? LOL

                              You don't have to be concerned that you will be bored with the weather conditions.  I am sure I can drum up a nice little blizzard to keep you on your toes!

                              POG
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 13 2:31 PM
                                Message
                                POG, just remember what I told ya!  Since it's snowed both times you've gone hiking in the past 10 days--if it snows the next time you're out, we'll ban ya forever from the AT!  LOL  I'll be watching ya carefully on the Chattooga trip! ...Ed

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 14 7:41 PM
                                  Looks like at least 7 hammock hangers will be makeing the Chattooga
                                  River trip! Some coming from as far away as KY! The weather looks
                                  good--hopefully the freak snow storms of late are over. In fact,
                                  Spring has returned big time with hi's of 80 today! There's still
                                  some snow above 5,000', but it's melting fast. We will be hiking and
                                  camping below 2,500'. Expect Spring wildflowers and leafing trees.
                                  Anyone planning to come can just show up at the trailhead or meet us
                                  at the campsite Sat pm--if you let me know you're coming, we'll keep
                                  a watch out for you...Ed

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 17 8:24 AM
                                    > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003
                                    >
                                    > The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers (FASHH) trip has been
                                    > rescheduled for Easter weekend. Everyone welcome--plenty of room
                                    for
                                    > hammock hangers or ground sleepers. Join us for a Spring outing
                                    along
                                    > the famous Chattooga River on the GA-SC state line. We will hike
                                    and
                                    > camp on the SC side. Plan now to attend!
                                    >
                                    > This is a chance for avid hammock hangers to get together and
                                    compare
                                    > notes and share ideas. Show off your latest homemade creation!

                                    The weather forecast for our hike is promissing:

                                    Fri Am showers; 73/54F
                                    Sat Partly cloudy 71/58F
                                    Sun Scattered T-storms 75/57F

                                    At least it will be very warm! An isolated T-storm on our way out on
                                    Sun AM would only add to the adventure without adding much problem.
                                    In fact, we may place an escape vehicle close to our Sat nite
                                    campsite just to be safe. Everyone welcome...Ed
                                  • Coy
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 17 9:43 PM
                                      Hi Ed

                                      Sounds like perfect hammocking weather. A good shower on the hike
                                      out might help refresh everyone for the long ride home.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 18 7:22 AM
                                        Message
                                        Coy Boy--looking at the weather forecast for the area again this am, I find: partly cloudy to cloudy, 10-12% chance of rain, temps of mid 70's to mid 50's

                                        So I suspect you can leave the snow chains at home this time! LOL   ....Ed

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 20 6:36 PM
                                          > Chatooga River Hammock Hangers Trip Apr 19-20, 2003

                                          The First Annual Southeast Hammock Hangers Trip (FASHHT) is now
                                          history--hope everyone made it home safe. It was a great weekend
                                          with mild cloudy and warm weather. Seven hammock hangers from AL, KY
                                          & NC converged Sat morning and began the hike. We quickly passed
                                          King's Creek Falls, where a spectacular rain-swollen creek cascaded
                                          over a verticle rock face and a sudden break in the clouds provided
                                          probably the best sunny Kodak moment of the entire trip. Hiking on,
                                          we passed blooming Trillium, Wild Iris, and Dogwood as we made our
                                          way to the Chattooga River. We set up camp a bit short of our
                                          originally planned distance due to Karen's mildly-twisted ankle--a
                                          victum of rain-soaked tree roots! Everyone pitched in and soon our
                                          unscheduled campsite became a cozy riverside home with hammocks
                                          everywhere! Karen recovered over night and hiked out Sun am on her
                                          own (she thanks Coy for the pack assist).

                                          With our hammokcs, we were able to use this tiny established
                                          campsite, although there was level space for only one tent--the
                                          hammocks literally saved the day for us! In addition, we were
                                          satisfied our hammocks did no undue harm to the site.

                                          The shelters consisted of five Speer Hammocks (including a home-made
                                          one), one Hennessey, and one Crazy Creek--the uniqueness and color
                                          variety of our camp certainly created a carnival atmosphere! Everyone
                                          got the chance to show off their specific gear and we learned from
                                          each other. For two hammockers, this was their first night off the
                                          ground. For us old pros, it was a chance to strut our stuff and teach
                                          others the better way.

                                          The relaxed afternoon soon gave way to universal power naps and by
                                          dinner time we gathered around a small camp fire in the midst of the
                                          hammocks. Conversations continued well into the night.

                                          With everyone well rested and Karen boasting "better than any night
                                          I've ever spent on the ground", we packed up and left after breakfast
                                          on Easter Sunday, making it back to the cars by late morning. With
                                          promisses to 'do it again', we parted and began our journeys home.

                                          Some photos of the trip will soon be posted on this site. Thanks to
                                          everyone who made the trip--I enjoyed meeting new friends and
                                          renewing old friendships. Let's hope this is the begining of a new
                                          tradition. Everyone who missed this trip should definately plan to
                                          make the next one! ...Ed