Re: [Hammock Camping] Mosquito protection (bag and/or liner) question

    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 25, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "pamcycles" <pammia@c...>
      wrote:
      > Be aware that the Bugsource permethrin doesn't mention using it on
      > clothing. You'd be better off using permethrin products that are
      > specifically designed to be used on clothing (sprayed on or soaked
      > then dried). Sawyer, for example, makes has some permethrin
      products:

      http://www.sawyer.com/sawyer_products/pages/insect
      _repellent/permetherin
      .htm

      Pam,

      Are there specific reasons for not using permethrin products that are
      not sold for use on clothing... or is it just something that seems
      not
      quite right? The first thing many of us notice is that when you
      dilute
      them with water so that they have the same concentration of
      permethrin,
      is that the economics tilt heavily in the favor of the agricultural
      based products.

      Dave
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 5, 2005
        > So I went to Big Sur for the first time yesterday. BIG TREES to
        tie
        > my hammock to...now I know why folks out west need larger tree
        huggers!

        Doesn't hurt to have em out east either. I carry extra straps along
        with the HH because sometimes the spot you'd really like to use
        requires the extra rigging. Normally though it's better to avoid
        larger trees because of deadfall risks.

        When my brother and I went to Big South Fork a few weeks back, the
        only hammock spot I could find down by the river had an 4ft. dia.
        windthrown tree near a smaller one. All the other options were
        crawling with poison ivy. So I tied the two straps together and
        wrapped em around the prostrate tree as many times as I could, tying
        off back to the line. The other side had the usual HH strap. It
        worked. Without the extra strapping I would have been forced to go
        partway up the bluff face to find something useable.

        Yea, let's see that car hammock of yours. :-)

        Doug Frost