Re: [Hammock Camping] Mosquito protection (bag and/or liner) question

  • pamcycles
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 24, 2005
      Be aware that the Bugsource permethrin doesn't mention using it on
      clothing. You'd be better off using permethrin products that are
      specifically designed to be used on clothing (sprayed on or soaked
      then dried). Sawyer, for example, makes has some permethrin products:

      http://www.sawyer.com/sawyer_products/pages/insect_repellent/permetherin.htm

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Joiner" <joiners@b...>
      wrote:
      > just to be safe, you might want to consider treating your hammock with
      > permethrin - has been discussed here before, I think. I believe someone
      > asked Tom Hennessey about it and he said it would be OK on the
      fabric....

      > I'm sure someone else will chime in if my rememberer is busted!
      >
      > http://bugsource.com/permethrin_13_3_one_gallon_.html
      >
      > again, from memory, but I believe spraying w/ the permethrin
      products from
      > REI, etc. give you 3 or 4 washings - getting some in bulk like
      above, and
      > rinsing in the permethrin solution gives something like 6 months of
      > protection....
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 5, 2005
        > So I went to Big Sur for the first time yesterday. BIG TREES to
        tie
        > my hammock to...now I know why folks out west need larger tree
        huggers!

        Doesn't hurt to have em out east either. I carry extra straps along
        with the HH because sometimes the spot you'd really like to use
        requires the extra rigging. Normally though it's better to avoid
        larger trees because of deadfall risks.

        When my brother and I went to Big South Fork a few weeks back, the
        only hammock spot I could find down by the river had an 4ft. dia.
        windthrown tree near a smaller one. All the other options were
        crawling with poison ivy. So I tied the two straps together and
        wrapped em around the prostrate tree as many times as I could, tying
        off back to the line. The other side had the usual HH strap. It
        worked. Without the extra strapping I would have been forced to go
        partway up the bluff face to find something useable.

        Yea, let's see that car hammock of yours. :-)

        Doug Frost