Tarp/Fly Opinions

  • Tripp Clark
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 24, 2005
      Listers,

      I just posted a poll and hope to gather some opinions. I have, use,
      and love both a Speer Hammock and tarp and a Hennessy Hammock with
      their stock tarp. In most situations, of the two, I prefer the larger
      Speer Tarp. I am intrigued by some of the other options out there,
      and wish that my bank account could handle one of each! I am curious
      to learn what some of y'all think is the best overall choice, all
      things considered.

      Tripp
    • Carl Iobst
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 26, 2005
        Pardon me Tripp but Likert would be appalled. You did
        not include a category (s) for make-your-own or
        'other.'
        Cordially,
        CEHI

        --- Tripp Clark <trippclark@...> wrote:

        > Listers,
        >
        > I just posted a poll and hope to gather some
        > opinions. I have, use,
        > and love both a Speer Hammock and tarp and a
        > Hennessy Hammock with
        > their stock tarp. In most situations, of the two, I
        > prefer the larger
        > Speer Tarp. I am intrigued by some of the other
        > options out there,
        > and wish that my bank account could handle one of
        > each! I am curious
        > to learn what some of y'all think is the best
        > overall choice, all
        > things considered.
        >
        > Tripp

        Train virtual, live Real!!!
        ('Real' refers to the concepts postulated by Karl Pribram's Holographic Paradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-locality)

        Yahoo! Sports
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
      • Tripp Clark
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 27, 2005
          CEHI,

          You know, I thought long and hard about that, and opted to leave out
          the "other/make your own" option for a few reasons. First, for most
          folks it would be the obvious choice, albeit not practical for some
          of us. Who wouldn't, given the skills and ability, prefer a
          customized made to order tarp. However, this leads to the second
          problem in that it is not quantifiable. My make-your-own would no
          doubt be different from yours or someone elses. With the 5 choices
          listed, they are each known and identifiable, and each is distinctly
          different and unique from the others. No doubt if one of these
          five, for you, is clearly superior for your needs over the others,
          and you have the skills, time, and desire to make your own, you can
          model it after your choice tarp and paerhaps even make it a little
          bit better for you.

          Tripp

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst <iobstce@y...>
          wrote:
          > Pardon me Tripp but Likert would be appalled. You did
          > not include a category (s) for make-your-own or
          > 'other.'
          > Cordially,
          > CEHI
          >
          > --- Tripp Clark <trippclark@m...> wrote:
          >
          > > Listers,
          > >
          > > I just posted a poll and hope to gather some
          > > opinions. I have, use,
          > > and love both a Speer Hammock and tarp and a
          > > Hennessy Hammock with
          > > their stock tarp. In most situations, of the two, I
          > > prefer the larger
          > > Speer Tarp. I am intrigued by some of the other
          > > options out there,
          > > and wish that my bank account could handle one of
          > > each! I am curious
          > > to learn what some of y'all think is the best
          > > overall choice, all
          > > things considered.
          > >
          > > Tripp
          > >

          > Train virtual, live Real!!!
          > ('Real' refers to the concepts postulated by Karl Pribram's
          Holographic Paradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-locality)

          > Yahoo! Sports
        • Tripp Clark
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
            Interesting . . . with just a day remaining in this poll to
            determine the most favored commercially available tarp for hammock
            camping there is no clear favorite out there. With five choices,
            the top 2 have just 28% each . . . far from a resounding lead.
            Moreover, with just 21 responses to the poll, from such a large
            membership on this list, it looks like I am not the only one who is
            not sure which is the best option out there. Too bad I can't try
            them all out!

            Tripp

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tripp Clark"
            <trippclark@m...>
            wrote:
            > Listers,
            >
            > I just posted a poll and hope to gather some opinions. I have,
            use,
            > and love both a Speer Hammock and tarp and a Hennessy Hammock with
            > their stock tarp. In most situations, of the two, I prefer the
            larger
            > Speer Tarp. I am intrigued by some of the other options out
            there,
            > and wish that my bank account could handle one of each! I am
            curious
            > to learn what some of y'all think is the best overall choice, all
            > things considered.
            >
            > Tripp
          • Doug Meredith
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
              This isn't in the poll, but looks very interesting. Anyone try one?

              http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Spinn-Twinn.html

              Doug
              --
              Doug Meredith (doug.meredith@...)
              SystemGuard - Oracle remote support
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
                Tripp, I have used several tarps, including standard HH fly, Home made
                ala Ed Speer in both 8 x 10, and 9 x 11 sizes, equinox sil-nylon 8x10,
                a home made sil-nylon poncho tarp, and my latest, a Granite Gear White
                Lightnin'. My all around favorite is the GG White Lightnin' for a
                couple reasons. Number one reason is that it pitches drum tight thanks
                to the reinforced ridgeline and catenary cut sides, along with a
                unique adjustment system for the guyouts and ridge. Second reason is
                that it is so well made, reinforced around the perimeter and along the
                ridgeline with webbing, and third, the adjustment system makes it
                super easy to center over my hammock. You give up a little coverage
                due to the cat cut sides, but at 8 x 10, it is still plenty. If I know
                I'll be in really bad weather, I'll take my home made 9 x 11, which is
                made out of urethane coated nylon, a little heavier than the
                sil-nylon, but it is heavy duty, and I made it with lots of pull tabs
                so I can pitch it in a variety of ways to make a truly storm proof
                setup. There is a picture posted in my folder on the photo page. If am
                expecting fair weather, I'll just take my home made poncho tarp, which
                provides adequate protection from rain as long as the wind isn't real
                strong, and it serves as my tarp, raingear, and pack cover. So, like
                hammocks, I guess you can't have too many tarps!

                Chet

                <trippclark@m...> wrote:
                > Interesting . . . with just a day remaining in this poll to
                > determine the most favored commercially available tarp for hammock
                > camping there is no clear favorite out there. With five choices,
                > the top 2 have just 28% each . . . far from a resounding lead.
                > Moreover, with just 21 responses to the poll, from such a large
                > membership on this list, it looks like I am not the only one who is
                > not sure which is the best option out there. Too bad I can't try
                > them all out!
                >
                > Tripp
                >

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tripp Clark"
                > <trippclark@m...>
                > wrote:
                > > Listers,
                > >
                > > I just posted a poll and hope to gather some opinions. I have,
                > use,
                > > and love both a Speer Hammock and tarp and a Hennessy Hammock
                with
                > > their stock tarp. In most situations, of the two, I prefer the
                > larger
                > > Speer Tarp. I am intrigued by some of the other options out
                > there,
                > > and wish that my bank account could handle one of each! I am
                > curious
                > > to learn what some of y'all think is the best overall choice, all
                > > things considered.
                > >
                > > Tripp
              • Tripp Clark
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
                  Thanks Chet, that is one I was not familiar with but it does look
                  nice. My experience has been limited to the stock HH tarp and Ed
                  Speer's 8x10 tarp. Of those, I much prefer the 8x10 tarp.
                  Sometimes, especially when bad weather is not expected, I still use
                  the HH tarp, but usually I use the 8x10 tarp with both my Speer and
                  Hennessy hammocks. I just like the greater coverage. One criticism
                  I have with both is the flapping problem in high wind. On at least
                  three outings this has been a problem. At best this is noisy and
                  makes sleep difficult, and at worst, it can cause stakes to rip out
                  of the ground . . . and in one case I even had a tab to rip out of
                  the corner of the tarp (in spite of excellent workmanship on the
                  tarp). Because of this, the cat-cut tarps, like the one you prefer
                  and the McCat are intriguing, but I understand that there is a trade-
                  off in that cat-cut tarps are not as versatile for alternative
                  pitching as flat tarps. I suspect that the other alternatives in
                  the poll -- such as the JRB and the Hex fly, while offering greater
                  coverage than the stock HH fly, would still be subject to the
                  flapping problems since they are, I think, flat tarps.

                  Tripp

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chetclock" <cclocksin@b...>