Mosquito protection (bag and/or liner) question

  • wcfw
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 24, 2005
      Sorry if this topic has been discussed, but I didn't seem to locate
      the info w/a search.

      I am new to hammock camping and will be doing trips (kayaking, etc) in
      the Miami/Keys area. I am looking for suggestions for a bag/liner as
      I don't want to carry a pad. The silk liners are appealing for being
      both cool and light weight, but I am unsure about mosquitos biting
      through both the bottom of the HH and the silk. Ideally, I would like
      something with a hood and an opening in the foot area a la the frog
      sac, but haven't seen anything yet. Any suggestions are appreciated.
      Thanks in advance.
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 5, 2005
        > So I went to Big Sur for the first time yesterday. BIG TREES to
        tie
        > my hammock to...now I know why folks out west need larger tree
        huggers!

        Doesn't hurt to have em out east either. I carry extra straps along
        with the HH because sometimes the spot you'd really like to use
        requires the extra rigging. Normally though it's better to avoid
        larger trees because of deadfall risks.

        When my brother and I went to Big South Fork a few weeks back, the
        only hammock spot I could find down by the river had an 4ft. dia.
        windthrown tree near a smaller one. All the other options were
        crawling with poison ivy. So I tied the two straps together and
        wrapped em around the prostrate tree as many times as I could, tying
        off back to the line. The other side had the usual HH strap. It
        worked. Without the extra strapping I would have been forced to go
        partway up the bluff face to find something useable.

        Yea, let's see that car hammock of yours. :-)

        Doug Frost