RE: Hammock Camping New member

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2003
      Message
      Welcome, glad to have you onboard. Your first experience with a camping hammock sounds similar to that of most people. You can understand why we are all so enthuisiastic!  You should find the answers to all your questions here...Ed

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2004
        Hi,
        I just joined from GA... I have been backpacking tent camping and
        I'm going to buy a hammock soon. Looking forward to learning more
        about all of this.

        I've got two wee ones (1 and 3) and we all love hiking and camping.
        With all the rain we have been having, it seems like a hammock would
        be a good alternative carrying around a muddy tent.

        Happy Camping,

        Flame
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2004
          Quoting Frances Jason <categrrl@...>:

          > Hi,
          > I just joined from GA... I have been backpacking tent camping and
          > I'm going to buy a hammock soon. Looking forward to learning more
          > about all of this.
          >
          > I've got two wee ones (1 and 3) and we all love hiking and camping.
          > With all the rain we have been having, it seems like a hammock would
          > be a good alternative carrying around a muddy tent.
          >
          > Happy Camping,
          >
          > Flame

          Welcome Flame. I hope this commuity of hammock campers can help you learn and
          have fun.

          However, from the get-go - be careful of little ones in hammocks. Though I do
          not have much experience, two risks are obvious:
          - falling - lesser of the two risks
          - getting squished between hammock and adult - greater of two risks

          Either could hurt/kill a little one.

          Rick
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
            > Quoting Frances Jason <categrrl@y...>:
            >
            > > I've got two wee ones (1 and 3) and we all love hiking and
            camping.
            > > With all the rain we have been having, it seems like a hammock
            would
            > > be a good alternative carrying around a muddy tent.
            > >

            > However, from the get-go - be careful of little ones in hammocks.
            Though I do
            > not have much experience, two risks are obvious:
            > - falling - lesser of the two risks
            > - getting squished between hammock and adult - greater of two risks
            >
            > Either could hurt/kill a little one.

            Ditto, don't plan on finding a hammock for multiple people AND
            camping. Let alone the discomfort, there is the obvious danger to
            little ones Rick mentions above.

            My boys, 4 and 7, now sleep in hammocks about 30% of the time for
            bed time, and my 7 yr old has been out over night with me. I set
            them up in seperate hammocks with thier own insulation. I try to
            find tree arrangements where we can tie off to one tree at the feet
            and two trees at the head and the we share the tarp.

            Family camping with hammocks is a diffenent experience and not
            suited to everyone. There is great pyscological comfort in sleeping
            next to a parent in a common shelter (tent) for young children
            sleeping outdoors. Until they are acclimated and ready (only you
            will know that) you may have to plan on ground sleeping with them.

            If I go out with my oldest, we hammock camp, but when its both boys,
            we tarp or tent camp since the youngest is still uneasy in the woods
            at night. When it is the whole family, we take the MONSTER cabin
            tent (car camping) AND the hammocks. We lounge in the hammocks
            during the day (when we're not "playing") and sleep in the tent at
            night. As the kids get older (i also have a 2 yr old) we may
            migrate towards hammock camping as a family, but who knows...

            For now it is just a backpacking experience for me and my oldest,
            not for our family car camping trips.

            Definately try to acclimate them to hammock sleeping at home first
            though. That has helped my boys tremendously.

            Just some personal insight and opinion, YMMV.

            Shane "Mirage"...
          • Billy Chard
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
              Hello all
              I am new to this forum so thought i would share a lil from my last
              camping trip in Devils Fork.

              me and a buddy and our Hammock's yall take a look and enjoy

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
                nice spot yall found there!

                Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote: Hello all
                I am new to this forum so thought i would share a lil from my last
                camping trip in Devils Fork.

                me and a buddy and our Hammock's yall take a look and enjoy

              • Garry
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...> wrote:

                  > Hello all
                  > I am new to this forum so thought i would share a lil from my last
                  > camping trip in Devils Fork.
                  >
                  > me and a buddy and our Hammock's yall take a look and enjoy

                  Nice pics and welcome to the group!