Re: [Hammock Camping] What do you hang in your H. Hammock?

  • tjarrell@cox.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2005
      I got a very nice rocking motion during a thunderstorm here in SE Virginia. Wind blew and the trees swayed. I used a Kelty Noah tarp for extra cover and tie downs, so only a light mist came under the tarp.

      As for hanging things I picked up the idea of using rings on the suspension ropes. Went to a fabric store and picked up two 2 inch locking rings (used in cross stitching I think). Anyway, slip a ring down the rope and use a simple overhand knot and the ring stays put. This way I can clip items to the line, and they will be under the tarp. I like using canoeing dry bags for my gear since they are water tight and easy to hang.

      One item you didn't mention is a gooseneck pin light. Bend the neck downward into a U shape and you can then hang it over the overhead line for a night light and you know where it is if you need it in the night.

      I'm taking my son out for his fist HH night with our boy scout troop. I call it sleeping in Zero G since you have to be organized before getting in or you spend your time struggling to get into your sleeping bag (I use a down comforter).

      Tom in Virginia Beach
      From: Palefrei <palefrei@...>
      Date: 2005/06/21 Tue PM 03:39:20 EDT
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] What do you hang in your H. Hammock?

    • Moz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21, 2005
        tjarrell@... said:
        > One item you didn't mention is a gooseneck pin light. Bend the neck
        > downward into a U shape and you can then hang it over the overhead
        > line for a night light and you know where it is if you need it in
        > the night.

        Don't you all just use head torches for this? An LED head torch runs
        for 100+ hours and can be used outside the hammock as well.

        Moz