Derek's Non Z Risk Hammock

  • dclark52001
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2005
      It's made!

      It is a non Z because my machinist failed to read the instructions and used ordinary parallel
      stitching rather than Z stitches. No big deal she is still talking to me and dinner was as good
      as ever :0)

      I set it up between an apple tree and a clothes line pole. I thought the chances of the
      webbing sliding past the whipping high so I set it just off the ground. Of course when I sat in
      it it touched the ground.

      After experimenting I found that the head end tied 4' up and close to the pole with the foot
      end 6' up the tree made a very comfortable bed. So comfy that I spent 45 minutes in it until
      my head slowly subsided and met the ground. I'd pulled the clothes line pole out of the
      ground! It started a lot of moaning about where to hang washing and I've had to promise to
      get some cement for tomorrow.

      Still, the important thing is the whipping and web loops work, the hammock is comfy and I'm
      very happy. Also, there aren't many clothes line poles out in the woods.

      Cheers ..... Derek
    • Palefrei
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2005
        Picked up my first hammock (Hennessy Explorer A-Sym
        Ultralight) a couple of weeks ago at REI San Diego whilst
        out there working for a month. I was so anxious to try it I
        actually set it up in my hotel room tied to two door
        top-hinges on opposite walls.

        Now I just got back from a weekend at A.W. Marion state
        park trying it for the first time in wild.

        I had a carabiner with integrated LED light for
        illumination, a Nalgene w/water and another bottle for late
        night peeing, both on carabiners. My shoes hanging from the
        supplied clips, my tiny Sangean SR-2 AM/FM radio in the
        mesh, my current book (Arthur C. Clarkes "Tales of Ten
        Worlds"), my socks and sock liners drying from the days
        hike laying across the line inside.

        What do you hang in/on your Hennessy?

        I'm told there are christmas lights available for camping
        too!

        Love the hammock by the way. After 3 back surgeries and in
        inoperable spinal cord tumor, sleeping on a pad on the
        ground is nigh upon torture for me.

        Oh... Any way to set it up to automatically rock gently? -)
      • Banjo Doje
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2005
          On 6/21/05, Palefrei <palefrei@...> wrote:

          > What do you hang in/on your Hennessy?

          My fan, my watch, my headlamp - I just leave my shoes outside under my
          Neat Sheet, socks I hang on the outside of my pack - I alternate pairs
          of socks

          > I'm told there are christmas lights available for camping
          > too!

          That'd be neat!!!

          > Oh... Any way to set it up to automatically rock gently? -)

          Man, if anyone figures THAT one out - I'll be in 7th heaven!!!

          Jodi

          --
          "If it ain't got a banjo, it ain't bluegrass!"
        • Dylan Anderson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 21, 2005
            Nobody tell Tom! :-) I hang a lot in my HH Safari.
            Probably close to half of my pack's contents.

            When I set up my camp and crawl into bed for the night
            I will have my Pocket PC in the mesh pocket(*) as well
            as my flash light, a small thing of tissue and my
            pocket knife. At the foot end I will have my shoes
            tied up to the ridge lin, as well as anything else I
            might need getting out (rain coat). I will also drape
            any wet things over the foot end of the ridge line,
            though on the outside of the bug net. It seems to dry
            quicker that way, but has never dripped through to the
            inside. I will clip a water bladder to the ridge line
            as well so that I have something to drink. Up in the
            head end, I will run a cord through the loop that is
            there to draw up a stuff sack or day pack with
            anything else I have with (first aid kit, extra rope,
            compass etc.) that is not food, cooking gear or
            clothes. My extra clothes go in a stuff sack I made
            with dual surfaces. On the outside when I am hiking,
            it is sil nylon. When I go to bed I turn it inside
            out to the fleece side, fill it back up with the
            clothes, and it serves as a pillow. This has the nice
            side effect of keeping my clothes a little warmer when
            I first put them on after a cold night. Finally my
            cooking gear and food get hung somewhere away from the
            hammock, and my empty back pack seems to live just
            fine on the ground below me, or occasionally hung off
            the support trees.

            It is for this reason that the gear skin style
            backpack works extremely well with hammocks. For
            those who are not familiar, the gear skin is basically
            a bagless backpack. Or to put it another way, it is a
            harness that cinches several stuff sacks to your back
            in a comfortable manner. I have designed and built
            several of them, and besides allowing quick, easy
            organization of camp in a similar system to mine, they
            are much lighter than anything else out there.

            *(I carry it because it is also a cell phone, has a
            GPS set up with maps, carries about as many books in
            e-form as I can possibly care to have, as well as info
            on the area if there are interesting features that I
            need directions to find or might otherwise forget
            about, and it contains my journal and trip log)

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mary
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 21, 2005
              Are there any group outings for hammock campers? I
              think it would be fun to get together with others to
              see their gear, share ideas, and just have fun
              camping.

              I'd be interested in outings in upstate New York,
              since that's where I'm located. Particularly in the
              Adirondacks or Catskills.

              Mary
              Scotia NY
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 21, 2005
                Congrats on finishing your hammock Derek. Once you get those supports
                problems solved, you're on your way to some prime sleeping...Ed

                Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                Editor, Hammock Camping News

                Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                _____