New member

  • rgates
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3 8:38 AM
      I've just found and joined this group. My experience is limited
      with Hammock Camping. I've gone camping with my boys for more
      than 10 years and never slept very well on the ground. Last fall,
      after being called as Scoutmaster of our troop, I bought a Byer
      Amazonas Traveller Hammock.
      My first time to try it out was on our Winter Campout the week
      between Christmas and New Year's. Our camp was at Rock Enon, VA,
      northwest of Winchester on the West Virginia line. The forecast was
      for temperatures in the teens, but light - nonexistent winds. I set
      up under a tarp with about an inch of padding under my 2 sleeping
      bags (one inside the other). I had a hat for my head and a scarf for
      my face. I knew that if it got too cold I could bail out and go
      inside the cabin. I actually was a little too warm in my set up, but
      otherwise had my best night of sleeping ever on a campout. In the
      future I'll bring tents for the Scouts, but I'm sticking with my
      hammock. I need to add a bug net before our summer camp in August.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3 12:35 PM
        Message
        Welcome, glad to have you onboard. Your first experience with a camping hammock sounds similar to that of most people. You can understand why we are all so enthuisiastic!  You should find the answers to all your questions here...Ed

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2004
          Hi,
          I just joined from GA... I have been backpacking tent camping and
          I'm going to buy a hammock soon. Looking forward to learning more
          about all of this.

          I've got two wee ones (1 and 3) and we all love hiking and camping.
          With all the rain we have been having, it seems like a hammock would
          be a good alternative carrying around a muddy tent.

          Happy Camping,

          Flame
        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2004
            Quoting Frances Jason <categrrl@...>:

            > Hi,
            > I just joined from GA... I have been backpacking tent camping and
            > I'm going to buy a hammock soon. Looking forward to learning more
            > about all of this.
            >
            > I've got two wee ones (1 and 3) and we all love hiking and camping.
            > With all the rain we have been having, it seems like a hammock would
            > be a good alternative carrying around a muddy tent.
            >
            > Happy Camping,
            >
            > Flame

            Welcome Flame. I hope this commuity of hammock campers can help you learn and
            have fun.

            However, from the get-go - be careful of little ones in hammocks. Though I do
            not have much experience, two risks are obvious:
            - falling - lesser of the two risks
            - getting squished between hammock and adult - greater of two risks

            Either could hurt/kill a little one.

            Rick
          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
              > Quoting Frances Jason <categrrl@y...>:
              >
              > > I've got two wee ones (1 and 3) and we all love hiking and
              camping.
              > > With all the rain we have been having, it seems like a hammock
              would
              > > be a good alternative carrying around a muddy tent.
              > >

              > However, from the get-go - be careful of little ones in hammocks.
              Though I do
              > not have much experience, two risks are obvious:
              > - falling - lesser of the two risks
              > - getting squished between hammock and adult - greater of two risks
              >
              > Either could hurt/kill a little one.

              Ditto, don't plan on finding a hammock for multiple people AND
              camping. Let alone the discomfort, there is the obvious danger to
              little ones Rick mentions above.

              My boys, 4 and 7, now sleep in hammocks about 30% of the time for
              bed time, and my 7 yr old has been out over night with me. I set
              them up in seperate hammocks with thier own insulation. I try to
              find tree arrangements where we can tie off to one tree at the feet
              and two trees at the head and the we share the tarp.

              Family camping with hammocks is a diffenent experience and not
              suited to everyone. There is great pyscological comfort in sleeping
              next to a parent in a common shelter (tent) for young children
              sleeping outdoors. Until they are acclimated and ready (only you
              will know that) you may have to plan on ground sleeping with them.

              If I go out with my oldest, we hammock camp, but when its both boys,
              we tarp or tent camp since the youngest is still uneasy in the woods
              at night. When it is the whole family, we take the MONSTER cabin
              tent (car camping) AND the hammocks. We lounge in the hammocks
              during the day (when we're not "playing") and sleep in the tent at
              night. As the kids get older (i also have a 2 yr old) we may
              migrate towards hammock camping as a family, but who knows...

              For now it is just a backpacking experience for me and my oldest,
              not for our family car camping trips.

              Definately try to acclimate them to hammock sleeping at home first
              though. That has helped my boys tremendously.

              Just some personal insight and opinion, YMMV.

              Shane "Mirage"...
            • Billy Chard
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
                Hello all
                I am new to this forum so thought i would share a lil from my last
                camping trip in Devils Fork.

                me and a buddy and our Hammock's yall take a look and enjoy

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
                  nice spot yall found there!

                  Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote: Hello all
                  I am new to this forum so thought i would share a lil from my last
                  camping trip in Devils Fork.

                  me and a buddy and our Hammock's yall take a look and enjoy

                • Garry
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...> wrote:

                    > Hello all
                    > I am new to this forum so thought i would share a lil from my last
                    > camping trip in Devils Fork.
                    >
                    > me and a buddy and our Hammock's yall take a look and enjoy

                    Nice pics and welcome to the group!