Homemade Hammock Pad - What do you think of mine?

  • ranger_rick_frost
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 20, 2005
      A "Neat Frost" Hammock Pad

      This pad configuration was inspired by Shane Steinkamp and Ed Speer.
      It combines Shane's Neat Sheet combo pad with Ed's SPE "wings". The
      main pad is 50" inched from top to bottom (head to knees) and 27"
      wide. The "wings" on either side are 10" wide and 28" long. Total
      dimensions are 50" x 47". The blue pads in the wings are removable
      thru the top of each wing so it can then be rolled up for
      transportation. Check the RANGER RICK file folder for the "Frost Neat
      Pad" description and picture in a pdf file.

      Tell me what you think. I'll post how well it does.

      Ranger Rick
      rickfrost@...
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 21, 2005
        Your new hammock pad looks good Rick! I'm always glad to see people making
        their own gear-there's nothing quite like being warm and comfortable in gear
        you've make yourself. Looking forward to hearing how it works for you..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 21, 2005
          Thanks Ed,
          You're right about the satisfaction of making and using your own
          gear! (However, we will not discuss my attempt to make a hammock
          stand out of 3" PVC piping unless I can make it work....) My brother
          Doug has already suggested I put velcro enclosures on the main-section
          bottom flap so as to allow an opening to place other pads inside. It
          would also allow me to remove all the padding to wash the Neat Sheet
          if/when needed. My brother is a big fan of your SPE (I think he got
          to try one at the Hot Springs get together). He said the design
          really allows a lot of adjustment to what's placed inside the SPE. I
          think there is both a DAM and a SPE in his future. <grin>

          Thanks again for the encouragement. Looking forward to meeting you
          one day.

          Ranger Rick :)

          > Your new hammock pad looks good Rick! I'm always glad to see people
          making their own gear-there's nothing quite like being warm and
          comfortable in gear you've make yourself. Looking forward to hearing
          how it works for you..Ed

          > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
          > Editor, Hammock Camping News
          > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
          >
          > _____

        • john hill

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 21, 2005
              Ahhh.I thought maybe you were Doug's brother. He mentioned you at the
              hammock campout. Yes he did try the SPE and seemed to like it. Any chance
              you guys will make it to the ATC gathering in Johnston City, TN the first
              week in July? We will have a booth in the vendor area, so stop by if you
              can...Ed

              Moderator, Hammock Camping List

              Editor, Hammock Camping News

              Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

              _____

              You're right about the satisfaction of making and using your own
              gear! (However, we will not discuss my attempt to make a hammock
              stand out of 3" PVC piping unless I can make it work....) My brother
              Doug has already suggested I put velcro enclosures on the main-section
              bottom flap so as to allow an opening to place other pads inside. It
              would also allow me to remove all the padding to wash the Neat Sheet
              if/when needed. My brother is a big fan of your SPE (I think he got
              to try one at the Hot Springs get together). He said the design
              really allows a lot of adjustment to what's placed inside the SPE. I
              think there is both a DAM and a SPE in his future. <grin>

              Thanks again for the encouragement. Looking forward to meeting you
              one day.

              Ranger Rick :)

              > Your new hammock pad looks good Rick! I'm always glad to see people
              making their own gear-there's nothing quite like being warm and
              comfortable in gear you've make yourself. Looking forward to hearing
              how it works for you..Ed

              > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
              > Editor, Hammock Camping News
              > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
              >
              > _____

              _____

            • ranger_rick_frost
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 21, 2005
                John,
                Ya, I looked all over the place too. (Probably would not have seen
                them even if I had been geochasing and had GPS coordinates.) Finally
                asked an employee. He did not know, but knew another employee that
                did. We chased him down... and he took me over to the pet section.
                It was hanging on the end of the row near the dog/cat food. Employee
                told me that people with pets like the Neat Sheets a lot so that's
                where they put them. He also thought they might be some in the baby
                section too. So, there you go.

                Ranger Rick :)

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, john hill <nil_dog@y...> wrote:
                > Where did you find the Neat Sheet at Wal-Mart? I thought I looked
                in all the places it might be but no luck.

                > ranger_rick_frost <rickfrost@a...> wrote:A "Neat Frost" Hammock Pad

              • ranger_rick_frost
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 21, 2005
                  Ed,
                  Sure would like to. I'm a newbie at this, so I'm not aware of it.
                  Can you give me the date(s), time(s) and location of the gathering in
                  JC? Is there a web site with info on it about the gathering?

                  Ranger Rick :)

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 21, 2005
                      Yeah Rick, here's the web site for the Appalachian Trail Conference 2005
                      meeting: http://www.southernhighlands2005.org/

                      It's held only every 2 years and the event is full of guided hikes, trail
                      slide shows and trail related workshops. I will be doing a hammock camping
                      workshop on Sunday July 3 from 1:15 til 3 pm. Hope you can make it..Ed

                      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                      Editor, Hammock Camping News

                      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                      _____

                      Sure would like to. I'm a newbie at this, so I'm not aware of it.
                      Can you give me the date(s), time(s) and location of the gathering in
                      JC? Is there a web site with info on it about the gathering?

                      Ranger Rick :)

                      > Ahhh.I thought maybe you were Doug's brother. He mentioned you at
                      the
                      > hammock campout. Yes he did try the SPE and seemed to like it. Any
                      chance
                      > you guys will make it to the ATC gathering in Johnston City, TN the
                      first
                      > week in July? We will have a booth in the vendor area, so stop by
                      if you
                      > can...Ed

                      _____

                    • dlfrost_1
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 21, 2005
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ranger_rick_frost"
                        <rickfrost@a...> wrote:
                        > Doug has already suggested I put velcro enclosures on the main-
                        section
                        > bottom flap so as to allow an opening to place other pads inside. It
                        > would also allow me to remove all the padding to wash the Neat Sheet
                        > if/when needed.

                        Instead of cutting off the top and bottom together and sewing, leave
                        the upper side long enough to form a flap which can fold under the
                        bottom side. Use velcro to secure the flap (hooked patches on
                        flap). Closed for torso-length pads, open for full-length.

                        Doug

                        (When he gets good enough at this sewing business I'm gonna pester
                        him to make me stuff...)
                      • john hill
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 21, 2005
                          ranger_rick - Thanks. Never would have looked in either section. I'll check next time I'm in a store.

                          slowhike - ditto
                          ranger_rick_frost <rickfrost@...> wrote:
                          John,
                          Ya, I looked all over the place too. (Probably would not have seen
                          them even if I had been geochasing and had GPS coordinates.) Finally
                          asked an employee. He did not know, but knew another employee that
                          did. We chased him down... and he took me over to the pet section.
                          It was hanging on the end of the row near the dog/cat food. Employee
                          told me that people with pets like the Neat Sheets a lot so that's
                          where they put them. He also thought they might be some in the baby
                          section too. So, there you go.

                          Ranger Rick :)

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, john hill <nil_dog@y...> wrote:
                          > Where did you find the Neat Sheet at Wal-Mart? I thought I looked
                          in all the places it might be but no luck.

                          > ranger_rick_frost <rickfrost@a...> wrote:A "Neat Frost" Hammock Pad

                        • chcoa
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 21, 2005
                            When I have found them at Target they are usually on and endcap either
                            near the diaper section or the sunblock. I guess they figure parents
                            use them as well as anyone heading to the park, beach, pool, etc....

                            jamie in az

                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, john hill <nil_dog@y...> wrote:
                            > > Where did you find the Neat Sheet at Wal-Mart? I thought I looked
                            > in all the places it might be but no luck.
                            > >
                            > > ranger_rick_frost <rickfrost@a...> wrote:A "Neat Frost" Hammock Pad

                          • jwj32542
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 22, 2005
                              I've found them in the seasonal section with the pool toys.