Re: Ridge line

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mike Lipay <hiking@w...> wrote:
      > Has anyone determined a good starting length for a ridge line? Or
      > way to determine it by hammock length, person's height, or some
      other
      > method?
      >
      > mike

      Yeah,

      It is the same fundamental geometry equation I use to to set the sag
      of my hammocks without a ridge line. You can attach a ridge line
      away from the hammock body along the hammock support ropes. The
      equation I use to approximate the horizontal distance between two
      points on a hammock (this would be your ridge line length) with a
      particular sag angle is:

      Horizontal Distance = Hammock Length X cosine(sag angle).

      For a 30 degree sag angle, the cosine(30 degrees) is 0.87, so if you
      wanted a 30 degree sag angle you should measure a horizontal distance
      of 8.7 feet for points on the hammock support ropes that are 10 feet
      apart, measured along the curve of the hammock.

      I personally find that I don't want the ridge line and don't need it
      to set the sag of my hammock. A ridge line gets in my way and I only
      use a stretchy nylon ridge line that doesn't set the sag on the
      occassions when I need my bugnet. There are several things you must
      do to properly set up a hammock and setting the sag angle is just one
      of them. You still need to center the hammock, set it at the right
      height and either level it or slightly raise the footend depending on
      your preference. Once you master those things setting the sag angle
      isn't a big deal, it is just part of setting up the hammock and you
      do it without really noticing it because centering the hammock,
      getting the right height, leveling and getting the right sag are all
      interdependent. But if you want a ridge line, have at it and good
      luck with it... remember that a load bearing ridge line puts more
      load on the hammock support ropes so you probably want them to be
      stronger.

      Dave