Ridge line

  • Mike Lipay
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2005
      Has anyone determined a good starting length for a ridge line? Or a
      way to determine it by hammock length, person's height, or some other
      method?

      mike
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 18, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mike Lipay <hiking@w...> wrote:
        > Has anyone determined a good starting length for a ridge line? Or
        > way to determine it by hammock length, person's height, or some
        other
        > method?
        >
        > mike

        Yeah,

        It is the same fundamental geometry equation I use to to set the sag
        of my hammocks without a ridge line. You can attach a ridge line
        away from the hammock body along the hammock support ropes. The
        equation I use to approximate the horizontal distance between two
        points on a hammock (this would be your ridge line length) with a
        particular sag angle is:

        Horizontal Distance = Hammock Length X cosine(sag angle).

        For a 30 degree sag angle, the cosine(30 degrees) is 0.87, so if you
        wanted a 30 degree sag angle you should measure a horizontal distance
        of 8.7 feet for points on the hammock support ropes that are 10 feet
        apart, measured along the curve of the hammock.

        I personally find that I don't want the ridge line and don't need it
        to set the sag of my hammock. A ridge line gets in my way and I only
        use a stretchy nylon ridge line that doesn't set the sag on the
        occassions when I need my bugnet. There are several things you must
        do to properly set up a hammock and setting the sag angle is just one
        of them. You still need to center the hammock, set it at the right
        height and either level it or slightly raise the footend depending on
        your preference. Once you master those things setting the sag angle
        isn't a big deal, it is just part of setting up the hammock and you
        do it without really noticing it because centering the hammock,
        getting the right height, leveling and getting the right sag are all
        interdependent. But if you want a ridge line, have at it and good
        luck with it... remember that a load bearing ridge line puts more
        load on the hammock support ropes so you probably want them to be
        stronger.

        Dave