Risk's Hammock

  • dclark52001
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 17, 2005
      Hi
      I'm a new arrival here and I've just bought the stuff to make the hammock shown on Risk's
      website excepting the bugnet which I will add later when I am sure that the hammock will
      hold me up.

      I started wading through the messages from the beginning but there are too many so I hope
      you won't mind repeat answering things that you have probably been asked before.

      Can anybody tell me how to hang the hammock properly, please?
      Also, I have an Australian tarp about 9' by 6' how far above the hammock should it go?
      Should I put webbing straps around trees and then fasten the tarp ridge line to them?
      Lastly, (for now) what is a suitable length of line to carry for the tarp ridge?

      Thanks for any help ...... Derek
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 17, 2005
        Hi Derek, glad to hear you're tackling making your own hammock. The basic
        top entry hammock should be set up w/ plenty of sag-actually as long as the
        hammock is 8' or longer and the supports are 12-16' apart, the more sag
        there is, the more comfortable the hammock will be! Hard to believe, but
        the more sag, the more level you will be! The support straps of the
        unoccupied hammock should slope down from the trees with 30-45 degree angle
        below the horizontal. Trial & error is the best teacher here-too tight
        gives shoulder squeeze and prevents lying slightly diagonally (the most
        comfortable position); too loose will allow your butt to hit the ground.
        Find a set up that is good for you and fits your height.

        Your tarp could be hung high enough above the hammock for you to stand up
        beneath it! That's right, a stand-up shelter! This works for all gentle
        rains and many storms, but for really bad weather lower the tarp so the
        sides nearly reach the ground and the apex is near the hammock. Again
        experiment with different set ups to fit your camp conditions. The tarp
        guidelines or ridgeline should not be stressed enough to harm the trees, so
        webbing straps aren't necessary. I hold my tarp up with 10' guidelines tied
        to the ridgeline pull tabs. I avoid a ridgeline under the tarp since the
        pressure of contact with my silnylon tarp can cause rain water to leak
        thru-this is rare but I have experienced minor problems on several
        occasions. Many folks successfully use a ridgeline beneath their tarp and
        get the added benefit of a rain-protected clothes line!

        Of course, I highly recommend my Hammock Camping book, which addresses these
        and many other hammocking issues: htttp://www.hammockcamping.com

        There are also lots of free hammock reports, including the Hammock Camping
        Newsletters, posted on that web site-you might find them useful.

        Happy hammocking! ..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 17, 2005
          > to the ridgeline pull tabs. I avoid a ridgeline under the tarp
          since the
          > pressure of contact with my silnylon tarp can cause rain water to
          leak
          > thru-this is rare but I have experienced minor problems on several
          > occasions. Many folks successfully use a ridgeline beneath their
          tarp and
          > get the added benefit of a rain-protected clothes line!

          Ed - you too can enjoy the benefits of a rain free clothesline under
          your tarp without the line coming in contact with the tarp itself.

          When you string your tarp by attaching it to the pull tabs, tie a
          separate piece of line to the lines tied to the tabs and leave some
          slack in it. It'll put a little extra stress on the tarp, so you have
          to watch what you hang there, but it's dry and not likely to cause you
          problems.
        • dclark52001
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 18, 2005
            Hi and thanks

            My tarp has loops on the outside for the ridgeline but the idea from bunchah sounds
            good.

            I live in England (the Old one not the New) and bears aren't much of a problem here
            although there are a couple of naked ramblers roaming the countryside in defiance and
            protest of the decency laws. The spiders don't bite and there are only three snakes. two of
            those are non poisonous and the third is so shy that you have to put a hand in its mouth
            and then ask it to bite. However, the slugs can be pretty mean. I found one in my water
            bucket once; it changed the taste of the morning cup of tea quite drastically:0)

            Having said all that, I'd bet there must be something in your book for me. A signed copy
            shipped to England would be good and I am Paypal registered. Would you like to sort me a
            shipping price for airmail?

            I've spent over £100 for tarp and materials and just discovered that I can buy a Hennesey
            Expedition for £89.97. When I retire in a couple of years I'll have to start being more
            careful about searching for value! Still, I'll have the satisfaction of knowing that what
            deposits me on the ground is made by my own fair hand (and the wifes) :0)

            Cheers ... Derek

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2005
              To add a little to what Ed said about how to hang your hammock, I
              approached it as a geometry problem and posted a chart in the FILES
              section. It may help you get started... and then it may not, but it is
              listed as "Hanging a Speer Hammock- Rev A.doc" in my folders at:
              http://tinyurl.com/3thvr . All the dimensions are in feet and a Speer
              8.0 indicates that the hammock is 8.0 feet in length when measured
              along the edge of the hammock (this would make it 8'4" measured down
              the center because of the 2 inch 'ears' that Speer hammocks use to keep
              you from falling out). It shows my preference of raising the footend
              of the hammock slightly above the headend, if you don't want to do
              that, then just put both ends at the same height.

              Dave
            • Mike Lipay
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2005
                Dave,

                I looked at your doc, I couldn't make out the text on the diagram. As
                an example, the test under the dash line in the upper left reads: 5RSH
                $QI

                The paragraph above the diagram, and the table below, are all
                legible, it's only the text inside the diagram that is unreadable.

                mike

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 18, 2005
                  Mike,

                  Don't know why that happens for you, it is an MSWord File, but I
                  uploaded a jpeg file of that diagram in my folder named "Diagram Used
                  to Define Terms.jpg". Hope that helps.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 18, 2005
                    Good idea, I've seen others do the same and it seems to work just fine..Ed