homemade double hammock question

  • slowhike
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
      to jeff, ed, rick, or any one else whos spent time w/ this idea.
      i`m under the impression that if i make a double hammock, that the two
      layers need to be sewn together along the top edge, from end to end.
      in other words two pices of fabric aprox the same size. the reason i
      ask is , i`m thinking that if i made a sleve a little larger than a
      pad & sewed it to the bottom of the hammock (inside), the stiching
      would weaken the fabric of the hammock bed in its most stressed place.
      would that assumption be right? thanks...slowhike
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
        In my experience Slowhike, you probably want to avoid any stitching that
        will be under stress in the hammock fabric itself. That's assuming you are
        using light weight fabrics for your hammock, like 1.9 oz/sq yd ripstop or
        similar. Two reasons-1) thread & needle holes under stress will fail sooner
        or later; it may last for quite a while, but when it does fail it will be
        catastrophic; and 2) sewn seams stretch much less than the rest of the
        fabric, thus they make very uncomfortable 'ridges' in an occupied hammock.
        Making a double layer hammock by sewing two fabrics along their long edges
        avoids these problems and should work just fine..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
          thanks ed...that`s what i was thinking. i don`t know if it was
          just common sense telling me that or i had read it on this talk group
          (probably the latter), but thanks. slowhike
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2005
            Slowhike,

            If you chance sewing across the hammock, or lengthwise for that matter,
            you may wish to do as I do.... I make the seam a zig-zag stitch and
            don't make it too close. I use a stitch about 3 mm wide and 2 mm long.
            I have made a number of hammocks with transverse seams now - from
            walmart unknown weight stuff,and one from 1.9 oz ripstop which have done
            fine - so far. I am now up to about 25 nights with my 1.9 oz
            WarmHammock which does have two seams across the width, about two feet
            from the ends. There is no sign of weakness at the seam.

            BTW, one of my variants was a hammock with a patch of material 4 feet
            long, full width, and sewn along the long edges of the main hammock
            body. It seemed like the material was always bunching up and getting in
            the way. Full double bottom 1.1 oz pieces sewn along the center 4 feet
            of their long axis edges worked much better and actually weighed less.

            Risk

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 20, 2005
              rick... i had to reread that last line about 5 or 6 times to get
              what you where saying, but then i remembered (i belive) reading on
              your web site where you described that method. it makes sense.
              thanks...slowhike