To make or to buy?

  • bunchah
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 14, 2005
      Can anyone here point out the finer points of making your own hammock
      vs. buying? I've been eyeballing the HH Expedition Asym ($109'ish)...

      Other than the myriad of store bought hammocks, I've got zero
      experience with a camping hammock, so any pointers (other than the
      obvious price difference) would be great.

      Thanks again,
      Al
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 14, 2005
        The do it yourself hammock masters are Ed and Rick

        http://www.imrisk.com/

        Is Rick's site and it has links to Ed's sites.

        Consider them the Obi-wan and Yoda of self constructed hammocks.

        Ralph (learnin from the masters)

        On 6/14/05, bunchah <bunchah@...> wrote:
        > Can anyone here point out the finer points of making your own hammock
        > vs. buying? I've been eyeballing the HH Expedition Asym ($109'ish)...
        >
        > Other than the myriad of store bought hammocks, I've got zero
        > experience with a camping hammock, so any pointers (other than the
        > obvious price difference) would be great.
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Al

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 16, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bunchah" <bunchah@y...>
          wrote:
          > Can anyone here point out the finer points of making your own
          hammock
          > vs. buying? I've been eyeballing the HH Expedition Asym
          ($109'ish)...

          > Other than the myriad of store bought hammocks, I've got zero
          > experience with a camping hammock, so any pointers (other than the
          > obvious price difference) would be great.

          If you time it right, you can get all of the materials from Walmart
          for about $25.

          4 yds ripstop - $4
          4 yds bugnet (some kind of mesh) - $4
          4 yds silnylon - $4
          Decent thread - $4
          Supports (best to get from Ed) ~$10

          You might add in some velcro or shockcord for a few more dollars.

          Plus you get to make it EXACTLY how you want it. Experiment with
          the length/width you like, change your ridgeline (if you choose to
          use one) to get YOUR optimal pitch, etc. I'm way more comfy in my
          homemade ones than in my HH.

          Jeff
        • bunchah
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 16, 2005
            I'm seeing a Pizza Hut commercial here - Regular price (supports
            from Ed), everything else is 4 bucks..

            I've got about 6 Walmarts within 20 minutes of my house, so that
            gives me a lot of ground to cover looking through their dollar
            bin's. I think you're right though, making my own version will
            probably be more comfortable in the long run, not to mention I can
            tweak it the way I want it.

            I did get some plain old nylon the other day and made a test hammock
            and it's apparent now what the ridge line is for - big shocker that
            it makes that much of a difference.

            I'm still not very confident that plain old nylon will hold my 220Lb
            butt up in the air all night or I'd use that for my
            first "prototype".

            For some strange reason I get the feeling that I'm going to have
            several camping hammocks laying around before long.

            Anyway - thanks for the response - just telling me that there might
            be silnylon in the dollar bin at Walmart probably saved me a
            considerable amount of money. I don't mind taking my time waiting
            for that to show up.

            > If you time it right, you can get all of the materials from
            Walmart
            > for about $25.
            >
            > 4 yds ripstop - $4
            > 4 yds bugnet (some kind of mesh) - $4
            > 4 yds silnylon - $4
            > Decent thread - $4
            > Supports (best to get from Ed) ~$10
            >
            > You might add in some velcro or shockcord for a few more dollars.
            >
            > Plus you get to make it EXACTLY how you want it. Experiment with
            > the length/width you like, change your ridgeline (if you choose to
            > use one) to get YOUR optimal pitch, etc. I'm way more comfy in
            my
            > homemade ones than in my HH.
            >
            > Jeff
          • dlfrost_1
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 16, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bunchah" <bunchah@y...> wrote:
              > I've got about 6 Walmarts within 20 minutes of my house, so that
              > gives me a lot of ground to cover looking through their dollar
              > bin's. I think you're right though, making my own version will
              > probably be more comfortable in the long run, not to mention I can
              > tweak it the way I want it.

              > I'm still not very confident that plain old nylon will hold my
              220Lb
              > butt up in the air all night or I'd use that for my
              > first "prototype".

              The WalMart stores with the discount tables are your best bet for
              bargains. Most WalMarts have their discounted stuff in wire bins,
              standing on end. However, some of them have long two-tear tables,
              bolts lain flat, with lots more to choose from. These usually get
              the discounted fabrics soonest and mostest. (They seem to be more
              common in country locations.)

              Also be sure to check out the local fabric stores. One non-chain
              place in my area has two large discount tables with all kinds of
              interesting stuff showing up regularly. When they have a sale they
              put out two more. :-)

              Doug Frost
            • André Corterier
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 17, 2005
                Remember, you don't have to hang your hammock high - especially not a
                doubtful test hammock. Hang it with your butt a foot off the ground (to
                allow for some sag), or maybe even lower - you can pad the ground
                underneath it a little, too - then you can just try it out and if it
                fails, you'll know (without getting hurt).

                Plus, if you still don't trust the hammock which made it through the
                night with you in it, you can always "test to destruct" - you may be
                surprised.

                André

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bunchah" <bunchah@y...> wrote:
                <snip>
                > I'm still not very confident that plain old nylon will hold my 220Lb
                > butt up in the air all night or I'd use that for my
                > first "prototype".
                <snip>
              • zippydooda
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 17, 2005
                  Definitely. Set it up low, put some cushions underneath, and then
                  thrash around in it a little and see what happens. You either end up
                  with a hammock you trust and can grow to love, or a ripped hammock
                  you never trusted anyway.

                  Bill in Houston

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
                  <andre.corterier@f...> wrote:
                  > Remember, you don't have to hang your hammock high - especially not
                  > doubtful test hammock. Hang it with your butt a foot off the ground
                  > allow for some sag), or maybe even lower - you can pad the ground
                  > underneath it a little, too - then you can just try it out and if
                  it
                  > fails, you'll know (without getting hurt).
                  >
                  > Plus, if you still don't trust the hammock which made it through
                  the
                  > night with you in it, you can always "test to destruct" - you may
                  be
                  > surprised.
                  >
                  > André
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bunchah" <bunchah@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > <snip>
                  > > I'm still not very confident that plain old nylon will hold my
                  220Lb
                  > > butt up in the air all night or I'd use that for my
                  > > first "prototype".
                  > <snip>
                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 17, 2005
                    Add a couple of kids in with you just for fun....

                    Ralph

                    On 6/17/05, zippydooda <zippydooda@...> wrote:
                    > Definitely. Set it up low, put some cushions underneath, and then
                    > thrash around in it a little and see what happens. You either end up
                    > with a hammock you trust and can grow to love, or a ripped hammock
                    > you never trusted anyway.
                    >
                    > Bill in Houston
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
                    >
                    > <andre.corterier@f...> wrote:
                    > > Remember, you don't have to hang your hammock high - especially not
                    > > doubtful test hammock. Hang it with your butt a foot off the ground
                    > > allow for some sag), or maybe even lower - you can pad the ground
                    > > underneath it a little, too - then you can just try it out and if
                    > it
                    > > fails, you'll know (without getting hurt).
                    > >
                    > > Plus, if you still don't trust the hammock which made it through
                    > the
                    > > night with you in it, you can always "test to destruct" - you may
                    > be
                    > > surprised.
                    > >
                    > > André
                    > >
                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bunchah" <bunchah@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > <snip>
                    > > > I'm still not very confident that plain old nylon will hold my
                    > 220Lb
                    > > > butt up in the air all night or I'd use that for my
                    > > > first "prototype".
                    > > <snip>

                  • bunchah
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 17, 2005
                      Since I don't have enough trees in my back yard that are far enough
                      apart to be of use, I have to do the one pole method - I tried that
                      with another "field proven" hammock already and I was a bit
                      tentative at first - one rope, one notched 2x4..but after I had been
                      in it for a bit I was ok.

                      Kids(borrowed from my sister) + untested hammock + one pole setup =
                      recipe for disaster. At least it sounds like it. I think I'll wind
                      up making a version of Risk's $25 hammock stand. I've got a full
                      compliment of woodworking tools so that'll be a breeze.

                      Now - Bill - I see you live in Houston (as do I). What types of
                      silnylon have you found, how frequently and what colors? I found
                      some DWR at one of the Walmarts yesterday - 6 yards - I was stoked.
                      Now I stop at every Walmart I pass - I've seen quite a bit of RN out
                      there, but I've got plenty of that already. No luck with the bug
                      screen either.

                      Whoever it was that said DWR means Desparate for Walmart Ripstop was
                      right - only I'm DWSN..Desparatem for Walmart SilNylon..

                      Anyway - many many thanks everyone for the great replies. I did
                      make and test the plain old nylon and it works great..ok, it worked
                      for the whole 30 minutes I spent in it.

                      My next question is "to ridge line or not to ridge line". Any
                      pointers on how to apply that and what purpose it serves? (other
                      than to keep bug netting off of you) I've studied camping hammock
                      photographs on the net everywhere I could find them (including
                      patent applications) and it seems pretty straight forward, but is it
                      load bearing? is there a magic distance from the hammock ends?

                      Ok, I'm off to ponder how to protect myself from the flying pests in
                      the Sam Houston National Forest..

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda"
                      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                      > Definitely. Set it up low, put some cushions underneath, and then
                      > thrash around in it a little and see what happens. You either end
                      up
                      > with a hammock you trust and can grow to love, or a ripped hammock
                      > you never trusted anyway.
                      >
                      > Bill in Houston
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
                      > <andre.corterier@f...> wrote:
                      > > Remember, you don't have to hang your hammock high - especially
                      not
                      > > doubtful test hammock. Hang it with your butt a foot off the
                      ground
                      > > allow for some sag), or maybe even lower - you can pad the
                      ground
                      > > underneath it a little, too - then you can just try it out and
                      if
                      > it
                      > > fails, you'll know (without getting hurt).
                      > >
                      > > Plus, if you still don't trust the hammock which made it through
                      > the
                      > > night with you in it, you can always "test to destruct" - you
                      may
                      > be
                      > > surprised.
                      > >
                      > > André
                      > >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bunchah" <bunchah@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > <snip>
                      > > > I'm still not very confident that plain old nylon will hold my
                      > 220Lb
                      > > > butt up in the air all night or I'd use that for my
                      > > > first "prototype".
                      > > <snip>
                    • Thomas Vickers
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 17, 2005
                        TO keep pests off of you in the SHNF, don't go !!!!

                        Actually I am a Houston (Conroe-Magnolia) person too.
                        I never find Silnylon and I have 3 walmarts in this area.

                        I hate hearing it when folks find good deals.

                        TV
                      • Bill Fornshell
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 17, 2005
                          Hi, I am also in Texas, San Antonio and I hiked in
                          the SHNP - Lone Star Trail - ONCE. It was not worth
                          the trip from San Antonio. Give me anywhere along the
                          AT and a couple of trees. Bill

                          --- Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

                          > TO keep pests off of you in the SHNF, don't go !!!!
                          >
                          > Actually I am a Houston (Conroe-Magnolia) person
                          > too.
                          > I never find Silnylon and I have 3 walmarts in this
                          > area.
                          >
                          > I hate hearing it when folks find good deals.
                          >
                          > TV

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • bunchah
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 17, 2005
                            Agreed - the parts of the LSHT I've seen aren't very interesting,
                            but it's an ok proving ground for me since it's only about 35
                            minutes from my house in decent traffic.

                            If the AT were closer, I have a feeling I'd spend quite a bit of
                            time on it...such is life.

                            I did get the book "Hiking and Backpacking Trails of Texas" and so
                            far it looks interesting, but I was really hoping to uncover some
                            hidden gems in Texas. My next stop will probably be to Arkansas,
                            Colorado or Oklahoma for interesting places to hike. Louisiana
                            doesn't appeal - I imagine it'd just be worse than Texas as far as
                            mosquitos..and just as hot.

                            <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                            > Hi, I am also in Texas, San Antonio and I hiked in
                            > the SHNP - Lone Star Trail - ONCE. It was not worth
                            > the trip from San Antonio. Give me anywhere along the
                            > AT and a couple of trees. Bill
                            >
                            > --- Thomas Vickers <redroach@e...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > TO keep pests off of you in the SHNF, don't go !!!!
                            > >
                            > > Actually I am a Houston (Conroe-Magnolia) person
                            > > too.
                            > > I never find Silnylon and I have 3 walmarts in this
                            > > area.
                            > >
                            > > I hate hearing it when folks find good deals.
                            > >
                            > > TV

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • bunchah
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 17, 2005
                              I live in NW Houston - 249/Louetta..I can hit 3 Walmarts pretty
                              quickly/regularly, so I'm going to keep looking until I find some...at
                              $1 or $2 a yard, I can't help myself.

                              Yeah - it tweaks me too that others have found it..but I just started
                              looking. :)

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 18, 2005
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bunchah" <bunchah@y...> wrote:
                                > My next question is "to ridge line or not to ridge line". Any
                                > pointers on how to apply that and what purpose it serves? (other
                                > than to keep bug netting off of you) I've studied camping hammock
                                > photographs on the net everywhere I could find them (including
                                > patent applications) and it seems pretty straight forward, but is
                                it
                                > load bearing? is there a magic distance from the hammock ends?

                                Ridge lines that are load bearing determine the sag of the hammock.
                                When they are load bearing, the amount of the load is determined by
                                several things. As with most things, there is a good side to this
                                arrangement and a bad side to this arrangement. The good side is
                                that it sets the sag of the hammock for you. The bad side is that it
                                is something that may get in your way at times, it is something else
                                that may fail and it usually adds extra tension on the hammock
                                ropes/webbing as well as the supports that the hammock is attached
                                to.

                                As I said previously, the amount of the load is determined by several
                                things and I have tried to present these in a couple of files that I
                                have posted under the FILES section at http://tinyurl.com/3thvr . Two
                                of these files demonstrate what the forces related to a ridgeline
                                are, "Hammock Ridgeline Tension Diagram.jpg" and "Hammock Rope
                                Forces - web rev.xls". When you look at them, remember that many
                                people use a load bearing ridgeline so the problem is not
                                overwhelming, but it does increase loading so you do need to take
                                that into account where it is appropriate... like your hammock
                                suppension ropes/webbing, the ridge line itself, the supports and how
                                you go about protecting the supports (i.e. trees and such).

                                Dave
                              • zippydooda
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 18, 2005
                                  Below:

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bunchah" <bunchah@y...> wrote:
                                  > Kids(borrowed from my sister) + untested hammock + one pole setup =
                                  > recipe for disaster.

                                  A bipod should do a good job and not be anywhere near as scary. If
                                  it didn't fail while you were getting in and out, you are probably
                                  pretty safe, since I think those are the times with the most
                                  concentrated loads.

                                  > Now - Bill - I see you live in Houston (as do I). What types of
                                  > silnylon have you found, how frequently and what colors?

                                  I've never seen silnylon. Just plain RN. But I have not really
                                  tried that hard, either. I got some RN here, and some RN in Alabama
                                  one time, and that is all I have bought. I made a tarp out of plain
                                  RN and applied thinned silicone caulk to waterproof it. Latest
                                  iteration is still untested. Something suitable for bug netting sb
                                  easy to find and pretty cheap at a fabric store. Or you can buy a
                                  pretty big one from REI for 14 bucks.

                                  > Anyway - many many thanks everyone for the great replies. I did
                                  > make and test the plain old nylon and it works great..ok, it worked
                                  > for the whole 30 minutes I spent in it.

                                  I may be misunderstanding your intent. I think that you will NOT
                                  want silnylon for the hammock body, since you want it to breathe.

                                  > My next question is "to ridge line or not to ridge line". <snip>
                                  > Ok, I'm off to ponder how to protect myself from the flying pests
                                  in
                                  > the Sam Houston National Forest..

                                  I think that you will end up with something ridgeline-ish for the bug
                                  netting anyway.

                                  Keep having fun with it and keep us posted.

                                  Bill in Houston (west side of town)
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 20, 2005
                                    Al,

                                    It depends on what you want. I do know that if you build a hammock you
                                    are more likely to understand its use.

                                    Risk

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 20, 2005
                                      LOL!