Tyveck Hammock??

  • geoflyfisher
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2003
      I just tried searching the archives to no avail.

      It seems like someone said they were going to make a hammock out of
      tyveck in the last 6 weeks or so. Whoever you are, did you try the
      experiment? Did it work?

      Has anyone else done work with a tyveck hammock?

      My $.02:
      -Seems like the builder's grade tyveck might be strong enough.
      -If one uses the Ed Speer overhand knot at the end, there will be no
      needle holes to weaken the fabric.
      -Applying a bug net may be more problematic.
      -The noise of the tyveck may be reduced a lot because of the weight
      of the sleeper keeping the tyveck taut. (Pre-crumpled tyveck is also
      much quieter.)
      -The hammock is not likely to be able to be compressed as much as 1.9
      oz ripstop into a stuff sack.
      -If you can get the tyveck free from a building site (always ask!)
      the price may be right for a trial.

      If someone else has already done the experiment, the actual results
      would be interesting.

      <><
    • o123david
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2003
        >Has anyone else done work with a tyvek hammock?

        I think Tyvek might be the best material for a hammock in other than
        a very warm climate.

        My reason is that too much heat is lost to wind, which Tyvek blocks.
        With Tyvek less padding should be needed.
        I have found that my quilt, a Nunatak Ghost, didn't work well in
        normal hammocks because of too much movement of air. With Tyvek it
        should work and save even more weight.

        The ideal material appears to be Tyvek CommercialWrap which has twice
        the tear resistance of HouseWrap and seven times the wind resistance
        at only 50% more weight (2.7 oz/square yard). Available in 5'x200'
        rolls. Probably expensive (for one).

        There is a method commonly used to make Tyvek quiet, maybe by washing
        it without soap in cold water.
        It would probably be bulky.
        Tyvek Contractor Tape could be used to attach the velcro for the
        bugnet, or attach the bugnet directly to the Tyvek and have some more
        limited opening such as an entrance in the middle of one side of the
        netting.

        It would be great if somebody would make one, maybe out of Tyvek
        HouseWrap. I'd really like to know how it works out.
        It will probably be a while before I get around to trying to make
        one, and the price of CommercialWrap may make it too expensive to
        try. --David