Re: Hammock Camping Near Disaster! "Autopsy" Results

  • geoflyfisher
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2003
      Hi Rosaleen,

      Great points in your post (pun intended ;) )

      The hammock material which failed was uncoated ripstop nylon. I was
      using a standard sewing machine needle... not ball point, not
      cutting needle, just sharp... When I made the bar tack, I had just
      sewn dozens of feet of hook and also loop velcro, which tends to
      cause burrs on the needle occasionally.

      I believe that ripstop nylon would be less likely to be weakened by
      sewing than silnylon is. The silicone stablizes the fabric thread
      and may allow it to be cut by a needle when regular woven cloth
      threads would be allowed to be separated by the needle.

      For this reason, silnylon and tyvek may have some inherent weakness
      for the weight supporting part of hammock making which the woven
      ripstop does not.

      I pointed out what I did to allow others to avoid over sewing the
      velcro at such a vulnerable location. As Ed Speer noted, it is
      likely the many needle punctures of the material which caused
      weakness instead of strength.

      <><

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
      > Hi, Everyone!
      >
      > There have been several posts trying to study a failure in a
      hammock,
      > starting at the point of a bar tack.
      >
      > Just to add points to consider in sewing. In my experience, there
      seem to be
      > materials that perform as if I'd just made perforations indicating
      where I
      > want to be able to tear something off. Notably, stitching on
      pieces of
      > foam/mylar for a reflector.
      >
      > There are likely a lot of reasons for this. Let me throw in one
      thought for
      > some of you who have less sewing experience. Manufacturers have
      come out
      > with different needle points, targeting them to knits or wovens.
      There are