Re: Hammock Camping Near Disaster! "Autopsy" Results

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2003
      Hi, Everyone!

      There have been several posts trying to study a failure in a hammock, starting at the point of a bar tack.

      Just to add points to consider in sewing.  In my experience, there seem to be materials that perform as if I'd just made perforations indicating where I want to be able to tear something off.  Notably, stitching on pieces of foam/mylar for a reflector.

      There are likely a lot of reasons for this.  Let me throw in one thought for some of you who have less sewing experience.  Manufacturers have come out with different needle points, targeting them to knits or wovens.  There are also some sold as "universal point."

      So, along with length and diameter, dullness and burrs, we may also need to concern ourselves with the actual type of needle point.  Before starting a large project, or one that needs to bear weight, sew a test strip and subject it to the forces you anticipate for you finished project.  I haven't sewn enough silnylon to know, yet, it does best with the sharper needles meant for wovens or the ball points meant for knits.  It may just behave differently from what we expect.

      Cheers, and happy tinkering!

      Rosaleen

    • geoflyfisher
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2003
        Hi Rosaleen,

        Great points in your post (pun intended ;) )

        The hammock material which failed was uncoated ripstop nylon. I was
        using a standard sewing machine needle... not ball point, not
        cutting needle, just sharp... When I made the bar tack, I had just
        sewn dozens of feet of hook and also loop velcro, which tends to
        cause burrs on the needle occasionally.

        I believe that ripstop nylon would be less likely to be weakened by
        sewing than silnylon is. The silicone stablizes the fabric thread
        and may allow it to be cut by a needle when regular woven cloth
        threads would be allowed to be separated by the needle.

        For this reason, silnylon and tyvek may have some inherent weakness
        for the weight supporting part of hammock making which the woven
        ripstop does not.

        I pointed out what I did to allow others to avoid over sewing the
        velcro at such a vulnerable location. As Ed Speer noted, it is
        likely the many needle punctures of the material which caused
        weakness instead of strength.

        <><