Sticks under Webbing

  • AndrĂ© Corterier
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2005
      I don't anticipate any benefit to the tree from putting sticks
      vertically under webbing. At least with my 2-inch-wide extra long
      straps (big trees around here), the contact area added by them likely
      would not make up for the contact area between webbing and tree lost by
      the webbing being held off the tree. I envision one long, broad
      horizontal pressure spot being replaced by several thin, vertical
      pressure spots. A natural twig (don't know about your twigs, but ours
      anyway) likely won't spread the load very far (structurally not made
      for it), while the webbing achieves a nicely homogeneous spread (no
      hotspots). With thin rope, of course, sticks will help lots.

      my .02 EUR

      André

      P.S.: In self-defense, as well as in strapping packs to people, or
      hammocks to trees, the rule is: F/A=P
      ("Force divided by Area equals Pain")