sewing with walking foot

  • uluheman
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 2:24 PM
      I haven't seen anyone mention my favorite sewing aid: the walking
      foot. It's a small, expensive gizmo that may or may not be available
      as an accessory for your particular sewing machine. It replaces the
      usual presser foot and serves as a set of upper feed dogs, exactly
      synchronized to the lower feed dogs (which are the only ones most
      people ever use). Because silnylon is so slick, the lower feed dogs
      may feed the lower piece of fabric, but slippage may (will!) occur
      between the lower and upper pieces of fabric you're trying to sew,
      which causes plenty of problems. With a walking foot, you should get
      nice and even stitches because the walking foot is feeding the upper
      piece of fabric at the same rate as the lower piece, minimizing
      slippage between the two pieces. No need to pull the fabric through
      manually, either; just let the machine do the work at it's own pace,
      as it was designed to do.

      Brandon in Honolulu

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "geoflyfisher"
      <geoflyfisher@y...> wrote:
      > Robi,
      >
      > I am always glad to see someone learning how to sew their own
      gear.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2 10:24 AM
        Message
        Thanks for the sewing tip Brandon--the walking foot sounds promissing.  I have no experience with one, but would love to hear from anyone else who does.  Any idea where to get one Brandon?  ..Ed

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2 12:20 PM
          Ed--

          The walking foot is manufactured as an accessory for your machine,
          maybe even your model. I'm pretty sure there won't be any generic
          devices available. If you have a Bernina, check with your Bernina
          dealer. If you have a Viking, check with Viking. Etc. I know both of
          those manufacturers offer them because I checked when we bought a new
          machine a few years ago. I'm just guessing, but it may be that
          walking feet are simply not available for certain (less expensive?)
          machines.

          Brandon in Honolulu

          > Thanks for the sewing tip Brandon--the walking foot sounds
          promissing.
          > I have no experience with one, but would love to hear from anyone
          else
          > who does. Any idea where to get one Brandon? ..Ed

          terms/> .
        • Shane
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2 12:28 PM
            > Thanks for the sewing tip Brandon--the walking foot sounds
            > promissing. I have no experience with one, but would love to
            > hear from anyone else who does. Any idea where to get one
            > Brandon? ..Ed

            All of the Adler machines I worked on had them. These were 'long arm patch'
            machines specifically designed for leatherwork. They worked well in nylon
            of any gauge. Tippman is also making a pneumatic machine that has a lot of
            promise.

            Shane