Re: [Hammock Camping] First trip

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
      On 6/4/05, Mike Lipay <hiking@...> wrote:
      > everyone tries something different, in my design I need a short
      > section of rope.
      >
      > mike

      I realize that, I'm trying to understand why/how.

      On 6/4/05, Mike Lipay <hiking@...> wrote:
      > everyone tries something different, in my design I need a short
      > section of rope.
      >
      > mike
      >

      > On Jun 4, 2005, at 1:54 PM, Ralph Oborn wrote:
      >
      > > Why use the rope at all?
      > >

      > > Hey Coy, I have fannaly figureddd it out. Gmail randomly makes speling
      > > changes after we submit. :]
      > > Ralph

    • Mike Lipay
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
        On Jun 4, 2005, at 8:19 PM, Ralph Oborn wrote:

        > On 6/4/05, Mike Lipay <hiking@...> wrote:
        >
        >> everyone tries something different, in my design I need a short
        >> section of rope.
        >>
        >> mike
        >>

        > I realize that, I'm trying to understand why/how.

        When I work it out I'll post photos, hard to explain at this point.

        mike
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mike Lipay <hiking@w...> wrote:
          > OK, I got it...similar to parachute cord. I think I have a source
          for
          > that, thanks.

          Parachute cord is nylon and stretches like mad since it's made to
          absorb opening shock. Spectra is low-memory stretch, so it generally
          works better for hammocking purposes.

          I used parachute cord for 6 years on my nylon hammock and never had a
          problem, though. But once I compared it with the Spectra, I could
          tell a big difference.
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
            I'd forget the d-ring and just make each strap long enough for tying
            using the 4-wrap method. simple- easier on the trees. When I made
            my first homemade hammock i used some poly rope (you can see it in
            the photos i shared yesterday). My original HH still has the rope
            (without the tree hugger (also shown in same photos - same photo in
            fact) but for my next hammock (shown in photos as coy boys setup and
            coy boy snoozing) I just used the polypro strap cut prettly long. I
            think i made each end 20 ft. I plan to replace the rope on
            the "first" hammock but haven't gotten around to it. In the pic I
            used the same strap to go back towards the fly but we set up without
            flys and at first i had my hammock up without any knot at all. I
            think Ed calls it the four wrap method but three will work LOL.
            just go around the tree 3 or 4 times (till the strap gets fairly
            short - a few ft long) and then run the short end under the last
            wrap. I had enough left over to unwrap and tie off my fly but dont
            count on it. I had more string (mason twin) for putting up the fly
            but didn't have to dig it out.

            Coy Boy
            PS on the photos. I checked largest but they were still pretty
            small. hard to see exactly what was going on. jpeg 323 and 324 of
            the hammock setup especially. cool looking husky!

            wrote:
            > Last weekend I took my first trip in my hammock (a Speers test
            > hammock). Temps were in the mid-50's so I had no need for a pad.
            The
            > bug net worked well, at least until a yellow jacket found its way
            in,
            > got to work the bugs out on that one.
            >
            > I also had a problem with connecting it to the tree, my original
            > plans didn't work out, the rope was too slick and kept sliding.
            My
            > second plan (shown in the photographs) was to use a strap that
            passed
            > through a loop in the hammock rope, then back up to a pair of d-
            > rings. I tied a slipknot in the strap to prevent it from sliding
            > through the d-rings, this worked well.
            >
            > Still a few bugs to work out (including the bug net). I have a
            > question, what type and size (diameter) rope do people here use?
            > started with a 3/8" nylon twist, turned out too slick for my
            original
            > thoughts, and it seems a bit thick.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > mike
            >
            > photos: http://tinyurl.com/amvh8 - check out Bear Run for hammock
            > photos.

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
              shoulda read on. I see Ralph suggest straps only too. I'm not saying
              the d-rings and other rope/strap holding devices won't work...but why
              bother?

              Coy Boy

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
                I looked under both files and photos "Coy Boy" and there are only
                about 5 photos total, neither contained the photos you mentioned.

                mike

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
                  I meant the photos from my walls of jericho trip on webshots.

                  http://community.webshots.com/user/coyboy100

                  the photos that were too small were yours. hard to tell what the
                  straps, d-ring etc are doing.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                    Mike,

                    As others have mentioned, I find that 1 inch wide polypropylene webbing
                    is far superior to rope. It is worth the investment of a couple
                    dollars. The trees will thank you too.

                    Rick