[Hammock Camping] Re: modified don henley hammock

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chinell" <dchinell@m...>
      wrote:
      > Jackie:
      >
      > On behalf of hammockers everywhere, I'd like to thank you
      > for undertaking this risky experiment. It's something I've
      > often wondered about myself, but I hadn't the courage to
      > risk ruining my HH.

      That's funny...I've used adjustable ridgelines on all of my homemade
      hammocks to find the right sweet spot, and removable ridgelines to use
      my Hammock Sock in different configurations, but the thought never
      crossed my mind to do that to my HH.

      Yeah, thanks Jackie. I might have to do that soon! What kind of
      carabiner did you use? I assume it's gated?

      Jeff
    • jackiethehiker@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005

        > From: "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...>
        > Date: 2005/06/03 Fri PM 03:54:00 EDT> To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: modified don henley hammock
        >
        >Actually I used a small/cheap carabiener from Wal Mart. I always "hang" the hammock with the ridge-line connected, so it is under tension and there is no chance for the ridge-line to disconnect by accident. However, there is not so much tension as to prevent me from disconnecting the ridge-line. You should have seen Tom Hennessy's eyes light up when I explained this process to him. If he could incorporate and endorse this feature, he would negate one of the primary "advantages" claimed by his competitors hammocks. I personally prefer sleeping inside the HH with the sides tied-out, because of the extra room. Also I get less compression on my shoulders. I have used the HH with out the ridge-line, upside down (bug net on bottom) and the side tie-outs in place. This configuration allows for the extra room. I guess it was risky to experiment on my favorite piece of equipment, but I like living on the edge, haha. Hopefully Tom will get back me and share his opinion on this modification.
        Jackie