Re: Byer hammocks?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
      Marty,

      I had a Byer Mosquito Hammock at one time. At that time it had a
      mosquito net, not no-see-um netting. The many lines at the end of
      the fabric can be problematic in that they are easy to tangle and not
      so easy to untangle. I did notice that it was not possible to get
      a 'flat lay' like you can with a Hennessy Hammock or a Speer Hammock
      when you lay at a slight diagonal because of the construction
      technique they used.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Banjo Doje <bpskids@g...>
      wrote:
      > I don't have the Mosquito hammock but I do have their Traveller's
      > hammock and I am pleased with the construction of the hammocks.
      >
      > Jodi
      >
      > On 6/3/05, Marty <martyman1@s...> wrote:
      > > greetings
      > >
      > > I am looking at buying a Byer Moskito hammock. Does anybody have
      good
      > > or bad comments on this brand or model?
      > >
      > > Thanks a million
      > > Marty
      >

      > --
      > " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
      > no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it
      because I
      > believe in me and know that I can do what I set my mind to do."
      > Author Unknown
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
        > The many lines at the end of
        > the fabric can be problematic in that they are easy to tangle and
        not
        > so easy to untangle.

        Someone (CD Pritchard, maybe?) put a small snakeskin-type tube over
        the lines of his homemade hammock (similar construction). When he
        packed it, the tubes slid down over the lines and kept them from
        tangling.

        Seems like a worthy addition for about .5oz.
      • PennyBright
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
          I have a Byer Traveller hammock, and like it quite a lot. I just rigged a
          piece of bug netting ala Risk's quarter weight hammock, and it worked fine.
          After I attached the webbing, I haven't had any problems with the lines
          tangling at all -- I think the problems arise when the hanging loops are
          free to slip under and through the lines, which they can't do with the
          webbing on.
          Anna
          --
          http://long_trails.blogspot.com/

        • Eric Sandberg
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2005
            I've owned the Traveler for about 5 years now and have been very happy
            with it. I got it before they came out with the Mosquito (or before I
            saw one) and I put my own no-see-um net on. I found the best way to
            keep the lines from tangling is to pull them both into the middle,
            then put one through the loop of the other one. They might turn
            around a bit, but never tangled more that what I could undo in a
            minute. I've since made a Speer type, but I think the Byer's is just
            as comfortable.