Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: modified don henley hammock

  • jackiethehiker@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
      Good afternoon,
      I have made that modification to my HH. I cut the ridge-line above the entry-slit. I put a loop in each end and connected the the two ends with a small caribenier so that the HH can be set up with the ridge-line intact and the ridge-line later disengaged. I have experimented with the HH (ridgel-ine dis-engaged) both right side up and bottom up with no apparent damage to the bug-netting. In one configuration I flipped the HH upside down and inserted my pad into the HH. It was then held in place between the 2 layers. I shared this idea with Tom H. at Trail Days this year and he seemed quite interested in the concept. He took some notes and promised to "look-in" the possibilities. I picked up this idea from someone on one of the forms. I have not slept in the HH without the ridge-line intact but I have used is in this configuration as a lounger and chair.

      Jackie

      > From: "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...>
      > Date: 2005/06/03 Fri PM 01:48:13 EDT
      > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: modified don henley hammock

    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
        Jackie:

        On behalf of hammockers everywhere, I'd like to thank you
        for undertaking this risky experiment. It's something I've
        often wondered about myself, but I hadn't the courage to
        risk ruining my HH.

        Bear
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chinell" <dchinell@m...>
          wrote:
          > Jackie:
          >
          > On behalf of hammockers everywhere, I'd like to thank you
          > for undertaking this risky experiment. It's something I've
          > often wondered about myself, but I hadn't the courage to
          > risk ruining my HH.

          That's funny...I've used adjustable ridgelines on all of my homemade
          hammocks to find the right sweet spot, and removable ridgelines to use
          my Hammock Sock in different configurations, but the thought never
          crossed my mind to do that to my HH.

          Yeah, thanks Jackie. I might have to do that soon! What kind of
          carabiner did you use? I assume it's gated?

          Jeff
        • jackiethehiker@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005

            > From: "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...>
            > Date: 2005/06/03 Fri PM 03:54:00 EDT> To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: modified don henley hammock
            >
            >Actually I used a small/cheap carabiener from Wal Mart. I always "hang" the hammock with the ridge-line connected, so it is under tension and there is no chance for the ridge-line to disconnect by accident. However, there is not so much tension as to prevent me from disconnecting the ridge-line. You should have seen Tom Hennessy's eyes light up when I explained this process to him. If he could incorporate and endorse this feature, he would negate one of the primary "advantages" claimed by his competitors hammocks. I personally prefer sleeping inside the HH with the sides tied-out, because of the extra room. Also I get less compression on my shoulders. I have used the HH with out the ridge-line, upside down (bug net on bottom) and the side tie-outs in place. This configuration allows for the extra room. I guess it was risky to experiment on my favorite piece of equipment, but I like living on the edge, haha. Hopefully Tom will get back me and share his opinion on this modification.
            Jackie