Re: Hammock Camping Sewing tips for ripstop nylon?

  • robi dawson
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
      Ray,

      I am getting all excited over this sewing stuff... look what I found

      http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html

      does this info help?

      now if I could just get my cob oven built so I have time to mess around
      with sewing

      robi
    • geoflyfisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
        Hi Ray,

        I presume you are talking about silnylon aka silicon impregnated
        nylon.

        I find that the material is fairly slippery and occasionally need to
        help the sewing machine to pull it through by holding the seam in
        front of and behind the sewing machine foot and pulling it (a little)
        in the right direction. In general, it goes pretty well.

        Tips I would mention:

        Don't use cotton coated thread. Though there is some disagreement,
        most sources say that all polyester thread works better to avoid the
        rot that will affect the cotton. Advantage is that the all polyester
        thread is normally cheaper (50 cents for 500 yards at Walmart or
        Meijers) Disadvantage is that it is usually only available in black
        or tan or sometimes white.

        Use a smallish needle, brand new, and expect to occasionally replace
        it - expecially when sewing velcro or whenever you hit a pin.

        I would cut the material by marking it with a micro sharpie marker
        according to a set of directions or a pattern. Then cut along the
        marking. For silnylon, just cut with a pair of scisors... it does
        not fray. For ripstop, cut with a cheap steak knife heated to red
        hot an inch from it's end by a propane torch. You can get about a
        yard of material cut before heating for 30 seconds again.

        Hold the material together with pins, and then treat the seam with
        clear silicone calking thinned with paint thinner (jardine says
        gasoline) and painted on with a one inch brush. This will not only
        seal the needle holes from sewing but also the needle holes from
        pinning.

        Hope this helps.

        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > I recently located an old sewing machine (Elna #1, aka
        grasshopper)
        > and sewed silicon coated ripstop nylon for the first time last
        night.
        > I made a 6'x9' tarp with some additional material renforcing the
        > corners, but the stiching was somewhat irregular. I eventually got
        > better looking stitch when I helped pull it through the machine (a
        > little) rather than risisting the pull (a little) as I had done
        > practicing on some thicker fabric.
        >
        > Anybody have any tips? Right now the correct needle size, cutting
        the
        > material straight, and holding the material together along the
        > intended seam is a bit of a mystery to me.
      • robi dawson
        Message 3 of 7 , May 21, 2003
          Hi Everybody,

          I seem to remember a thread/post not too long ago with info on sewing a
          hammock, i seem to remember the price being sg like 50 bucks...

          anybody know what I post that was?

          BTW, one thing has not become clear to me yet if I were to go ahead and buy
          a hammock or kit what would be the advantageous of a HH or Speer over a
          say, Bana, that Bana is by far the cheapest and I recall some here saying
          they do use them...

          This is all relevant because i still have not found good material here in
          Budapest, so i will have to order over the Net either materials or
          kit/completed hammocks,, oh yeah, if i go the make from scratch route,
          where should i look for materials, any personal favs?

          i am heavy in the 220 - 230 range and will need a tarp as well as hammock.

          thanks again in advance for the tips/help

          robi
        • Stephen T. Gregorie
          Message 4 of 7 , May 21, 2003
            for material check out this site:
            http://www.owfinc.com/

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • karens62@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 21, 2003
              Another great source for materials is

              http://www.questoutfitters.com/

              The folks at quest are wonderful. Kay will spend as much time as needed to make sure you have everything you could possibly need. She will also make suggestions if you know what you want to make but aren't sure what the best way to attack the project would be.

              I recently ordered 30 yards of webbing from her when I meant to order 30 feet. She realized my mistake and called me back to doublecheck before she did up my order. With service like that, she has made me a repeat customer many times over.

              POG