RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Prohibitions?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
      Well said Andre. The subtitle of my book includes the words ‘Convenience &
      Freedom’ and part of that is the ability to camp in undesignated places like
      you describe. But as hammock campers, we should all be aware that we are
      setting an example for those who will follow. As you suggest, Leave No
      Trace techniques and personal integrity will go a long way setting the
      proper example….Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
        Ralph-

        When were you hassled about hammocking in Yellowstone? I asked Xanterra reservations for the campgrounds that accepted reservations about hammocks and tieing to trees. No one there knew of an issue, AND, no park people hassled us about the hammocks. We moved around a lot during a week there, sightseeing in one area, then moving to another. We stayed at Bridge Bay, Grant, Norris, Madison (IIRC, and that may have been our one miserable night in a tent), Canyon, and Pebble Creek. We also spent a night in Grand Teton, Fremont Lake Forest Service Campground, and in Buffalo Bill Cody State Park, hammocking with no hassles. This was last summer, 2004. Maybe some enlightenment is creeping into places?

        Rosaleen

        From: Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...<mailto:Ralph.oborn@...>>
        Subject: Re: Re: Hammock Prohibitions?

        The ranger in Yellowstone that was hassling me agreed that if I put a
        few sticks between the rope and the tree (vertically) then the tree
        would be unharmed. This was before I knew about tree huggers.

        Ralph

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
          I've used a stick to help untie my hennessy knot. it helps keep the
          knot away from the tree. this was on a big tree where the huger didnt
          reach all the way around. I put a 2 in dia stick and tied the knot
          right beside it.

          Coy Boy (nowhere neer smart as ralph, seriously! but I do spell better)